What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > Children's book, two animals travel a road through a forest

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a children's book a long time ago, the characters were all animals and the protagonist was a father and his son (not sure about the species) and they were traveling through a forest to find a place to make their home. Along the way they encountered all the local residents and had small episodes with each of them. I remember one of the encounters included 3 foxes who were playing cards. At the end of the story the pair find a hollow tree or something and decide to move in. When they look outside they see all the characters from the whole book coming to their new home with a housewarming gift. Do you know what this book is called/who wrote it?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The particular road/street the father and son were traveling had a unique name which was included in the title, much like a road/street would be named on a map. The title was a phrase iirc, something like:

"At the end of (insert street name) street"
or
"When you walk down (insert road name) road"

Hope this helps a little.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Was it a picture-book, like for the littlest children, or a chapter book for independent readers?

"A long time" is subjective - are we talking 5 years ago, or 20, or 40? Could the book have been old at the time, for example a library book?

It does sound a tiny bit familiar to me, but I need more clues! :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 19, 2012 10:06PM) (new)

It was a children's book so it had quite large pictures. And it was probably around 10-12 years ago that I had it, it could have been a library book so maybe older. Any guesses I can verify? I'm trying really hard to think of more details...

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Randall Jarrell wrote some special animal stories, but probably not this one. Gee, I hope someone remembers it! I'll keep thinking, too.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Doing some poking around, I find similarily unlikely possibilities, but maybe one of these can lead you to what you want.
The Animals of Farthing Wood (first of a series)
Thunder Oak (ditto)
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/63... (Listopia)
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/90... (ditto)

message 7: by Dree (new)

Dree | 25 comments An Adventure With Morris Mouse is similar, but doesn't match all of the details. It was a favorite in our house about 10-12 years ago.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I think a major theme of the book was the main characters looking at what kind of houses all the other animals had, and considering setting theirs up the same way, but each time dismissing the thought until the end. I think they were mice or something else similarly passive. The drawings were quite detailed too, putting a lot of focus on the environments as well as the characters, and I don't remember many bright colors. The street name in the title may have been called a 'lane'. Regarding the name, I'm recalling words like Glenn... Shady... Creek... Brook... Bury. Not sure if my memory is tricking me though.

I found a blog with tons of vintage children's books which I'll go through later. Thanks for the help guys.