Bookworms discussion

4/5 star Reccomendations!! > Mystery/Suspense! (Series)

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neena (last edited Oct 17, 2012 06:03PM) (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
From my own experience I know one thing; getting a good recommendation for books is such a laborious job. I have wasted so much time reading reviews, surfing websites, looking at other readers’ book shelves. SO I thought about starting this thread where you can post your 5 star books.

Remember books you gave 4/5 stars only

And also write a line about to whom you would recommend this book.

message 2: by Satish (new)

Satish Jha | 162 comments The short story the Monkey paw
then the secret adversary very detailed clever plot Mr Browns invincibility all in all a page turner

message 3: by Neena (new)

2. "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

Recomennd to: Who like to read psychological thriller with lots of twists and turns.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 17, 2012 07:13PM) (new)

3. Gone for Good by Harlan Coben

Recomennd to: One who loves twists and standalones.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 17, 2012 07:13PM) (new)

4. A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

Recomennd to: Who loves Private Investigator deduction, a great first book from a talented author.

message 6: by Neena (new)

I have not tried Sue Grafton yet. Now I would try. So many books to read ohh God!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Saurabh wrote: "1. 'Rebecca' by Daphne Du Maurier is a wonderful Mystery/Suspense novel with an old world charm to it.

2. 'Nothing Last Forever' by Sidney Sheldon.
Recommended for those who love medical myst..."

I guess every book written by Sheldon can come into this thread.

message 8: by Neena (new)

Saurabh wrote: "Anirban wrote: "I guess every book written by Sheldon can come into this thread."

Yes, quite true. But, since this is a 4-5 star thread maybe not all of Sheldon's books will qualify. I read 'Sands..."

Saurabh I know you are not much into mystery genre but they are actually an escape and comfort when you are reading too many heavy books. I always pick bunch of mystery books with general fiction whenever I go to library. They keep you interested in reading.

message 9: by Abhijeet (new)

Abhijeet (reading_is_magic) Saurabh wrote: "1. 'Rebecca' by Daphne Du Maurier is a wonderful Mystery/Suspense novel with an old world charm to it. "
It's firmly on my list. If it gets picked as the group read, might read it next month.

My recommendation:
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

A fascinating mix of the fantasy and mystery genres and some of the darkest fantasy material I've encountered, outside of Tolkien.

message 10: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 84 comments Few recommedations are ..

Sophie Hannah's Little Face

Jane Jensen's Dante's Equation

Harlen Coben's Tell No One

Irving Wallace's The Second Lady

message 11: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 84 comments Poornima wrote: "Few recommedations are ..

Irving Wallace's The Second Lady"

Sorry, missed the recommendation part. (Continuing the numbering too from above..)

8. Sophie Hannah's Little Face

9. Harlen Coben's Tell No One

Recommended for those who like racy plots with twists and turns.

10. Jane Jensen's Dante's Equation

Recommended for those who like riddle/puzzle solving with little bit of science and religion thrown in

Irving Wallace's The Second Lady for those who like political thrillers

message 12: by Kunal (new)

Kunal Garg (kunalgarg3112) 1. Eye of the World - Robert Jordan.
This is the first book in a high fantasy series called Wheel of Time which in my opinion is the best fantasy series ever written. you won't be able to stop once you start.
2. Gardens of Moon - Steven Erikson
This is first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. This is a bit difficult read and not recommended for casual readers but once you set in, you're in for a ride of a lifetime.
3. IT - Stephen King
Old school horror book. very creepy and brilliantly written
4. The Long Road Home - Danielle Steel
Read this if really want to feel how a writer can make you cry.
5. Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
This is again a fantasy series with all the typical trappings of fantasy - vampires, werewolves, faeries, dragons, wizards, demons etc... its a light but fun read!

i guess i'd stop here!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Kunal wrote: "1. Eye of the World - Robert Jordan.
This is the first book in a high fantasy series called Wheel of Time which in my opinion is the best fantasy series ever written. you won't be able to stop onc..."

Kumal you gotta recommend these books in the Fantasy thread. This thread is for mysteries, whodunnits and thrillers.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Poornima wrote: "Poornima wrote: "Few recommedations are ..

Irving Wallace's The Second Lady"

Sorry, missed the recommenda..."

Will have to read TELL NO ONE, I am waiting ages to read this book.

And about the SECOND LADY, i was a bit confused by the ending, but nonetheless it was a captivating read.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

The Key to Rebecca by Ken Follett

For anyone who like world war 2 espionage thrillers.

message 17: by Satish (new)

Satish Jha | 162 comments Tristan Betrayal by Robert Ludlum
A love story of an American spy and a Russian artist set in WWII soviet russia

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Satish wrote: "Tristan Betrayal by Robert Ludlum
A love story of an American spy and a Russian artist set in WWII soviet russia"

I used to like Ludlum's earlier novels, but later suddenly he started churning out run-of-the mill thrillers.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

The Riddle Of The Third Mile by Colin Dexter.

Want to read a detective mystery, while taking a course in English Literature??? If yes, then Colin Dexter is your man.

This particular novel is recommended for its plot. One of the most intricate plots to come out of Dexter's pen.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler

A definite piece of hardboiled American crime literature, from a writer who shaped the hardboiled genre.

message 21: by Neena (new)

" The Merry Misogynist" by Collin Cotterill

Recommend to: Those who like to read real books which have suspense, subtle humour,tight plot and no nonsense storyline.

message 22: by Neena (new)

" Now You See me" by S.J.Bolton

Recommend to: Those who like to read fast, full of suspense thrillers with tight plot, lots of twists and turns that leave you breathless in the end.

message 23: by Neena (new)

Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts

Recommend to: Those who love to read nail biting, suspenceful mystery with real tight plot and little romance.

message 24: by Neena (last edited Oct 31, 2012 09:59PM) (new)

A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4) by Louise Penny

Recommend to: Those who love psychological mystery with family drama with writing little on the literary side and who usually don't enjoy just average books because they have read too many good books so their expectations become little high.

DO NOT read this book if you are a big fan of simple, straight, highly suspenceful, fast, formula based mystery books.

message 25: by Smitha (new)

Smitha Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn- am 2/3rds through and am so amazed at this book. I am so happy to have discovered a new author who writes my kind of novels. I couldnot help discussing this book here because I am too sure that I will give it 5 stars, unless something goes drastically wrong in the last 1/3rd of the story. Cant discuss it much without giving out the story line.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

From Doon With Death by Ruth Rendell

For those who likes a dose of psychology, but not an overdose, combined with a nice twist at the end.