The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Looking for classic fiction that deals with morality issues

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Expanding further from the topic headline, I am wondering if anybody could suggest a book that has a protagonist suffering from morality issues - more specifically along the lines of the Heinz dilemma. I realize that my question is broad and can encompass a wide range of books.

If this is any guideline, I really liked Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Thanks.

message 2: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) Drat - I was going to suggest Dostoyevsky, just from the title of your post.
How about I suggest other Dostoyevskys? The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov, Demons. I think he's Chief in this area.

Possibly look at Albert Camus, though my memory is foggy on him

Another Russian is Ivan Turgenev who deals with ethical crises, though in a very different way than Dostoyevsky. For example his Fathers and Sons about the new philosophy of Nihilism.

It's a good question. I like this sort of book.

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 546 comments I'm not sure whether she deals with the Heinz Dilemna but George Eliot frequently addresses personal moral responsibility. Silas Marner is the most obvious example but the theme runs throughout her writing.

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 188 comments Maybe A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens

message 5: by Brenda (last edited Jun 16, 2013 06:19AM) (new)

Brenda | 265 comments You might try The Chocolate Warby Robert Cormier.

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith Kirscht | 14 comments The Heintz Dilemma does limit the field. Styron's Sophie's Choice comes to mind and maybe Dreiser's American Tragedy.

message 7: by George (new)

George Parker (GWPtalking) The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck, in my opinion the best thing he wrote. Lots of morality questions/issues for you.

message 8: by N (new)

N | 104 comments Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Hardy - lots of morality in there especially the age old argument of 'was it rape or seduction?'

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Schwartz (JasmineSchwartz) Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth is a modern classic - an Atonishing novel on the slave trade