Ms. Okes's Classes 2012 discussion

IR - Non Fiction (Yellow)

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Okes (new)

Ms. Okes (MsOkes) | 99 comments Mod
1) What book did you choose for your nonfiction assignment? Why did you choose it?

2) Summarize the book in two to three sentences.

3) Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not? Use examples without giving the ending away if you can.

4) Would you recommend it to everyone? Those of a particular age or interest? No one? Why?

message 2: by Callan (new)

Callan Banks | 2 comments I chose the book, The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer for my nonfiction assignment. I chose this book because A Child Called "It", which was the first book in the series and I enjoyed reading it, so I decided to continue reading the series. The book was about the continuation of Dave's life. In the first book, he was abused by his mom. In this book, he was freed and sent to a foster home. During the book, Dave was getting shuffled around in many different foster homes. I enjoyed the book because it was an inspiring story and kept me wanting to read more. Luckily, there is a third book in the series that I am going to read soon. The book was very detailed when talking about each foster home Dave went to and the struggles he faced. I would recommend this book to anyone who has read the first book of the series or wanting to read an inspiring story.

message 3: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Kay | 2 comments I chose the book, Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger. The book was very intresting, it gave me information about a small little town that revolved around football. It told you about the dream of going to state in eighty-eight. Also, it told about the history of the town of Odessa, along with some of the thoughts of the players. I really enjoyed the book because it sorta represents how Ripley used to be. With the whole town shutting down on a friday night for a sport that made their lives enjoyable. It was a tenstion builder with all the games going good or bad and the struggle they made trying to achieve their goals. I already have recomended this book to some of my friends who also love the sport of football. If you love football I would read this book.

message 4: by Kyndrah (new)

Kyndrah Hill | 2 comments For the Non-Fiction I chose the Book "Left For Dead." I really liked this book because it was a true story about the USS Indianapolis. In this book a young boy interviews a few men who survived the attach by the Japanese. I like stories based on true events because then you can try to put yourself in their shoes and can almost feel how they were feeling. This book was very intersting and I learned alot about an inportant part of American history during World War 2.

message 5: by Ms. Okes (new)

Jacob wrote: "I chose the book, Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger. The book was very intresting, it gave me information about a small little town that revolved around football. It told you about the dream ..."

It is a pretty popular book with my athletes.
Watch your grammar; you've got sentence fragments.

message 6: by Ms. Okes (new)

Kyndrah wrote: "For the Non-Fiction I chose the Book "Left For Dead." I really liked this book because it was a true story about the USS Indianapolis. In this book a young boy interviews a few men who survived the..."

Your project made the book sound fascinating!
Remember, book titles are itallicized or underlined.

message 7: by Abby (last edited Nov 09, 2012 08:58AM) (new)

Abby Sayre | 2 comments I chose the book "She Said Yes" by Misty Bernall, it was a tragic story based on the columbine high school shooting, where the beloved daughter was shot and killed by her saying "yes" to the gun man about her religion of believing in god. Her mother recapted her daughters struggles in lifefinding god till the tragic event happened when she finally decided to believe in him. This book was inspiring but also very sad and i would recommend this book.

message 8: by Ms. Okes (new)

Abby wrote: "I chose the book "She Said Yes" by Misty Bernall, it was a tragic story based on the columbine high school shooting, where the beloved daughter was shot and killed by her saying "yes" to the gun ma..."

I imagine that would be a difficult, but inspiring books to read. I hope your peers give it a try as well!