Ms. Okes's Classes 2012 discussion

IR - Classic Literature (White)

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Okes (new)

Ms. Okes (MsOkes) | 99 comments Mod
1) What book did you choose for your class literature assignment? Why did you choose it?

2) Summarize the book in two to three sentences.

3) Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not? Use examples without giving the ending away if you can.

4) Would you recommend it to everyone? Those of a particular age or interest? No one? Why?

message 2: by Tucker (new)

Tucker Miller | 1 comments For my class literature assignment, I chose to read the book "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. I chose this story because my ninth grade English teacher showed my class the animated film based off of the book. Also, I chose "Animal Farm" because I enjoy George Orwell's style of writing.

"Animal Farm" is about a small farm located in England, and the animals rebel against their owner, Mr. Jones, and establish a self-sustaining government, highly resembling that of communism. The animals created seven commandments, and when Napoleon, the dictator of Animal Farm, rose to power, each of these commandments were manipulated or changed in some way to benefit the superior species of the pigs. By the end of the story, the citizens of Animal Farm could not tell the difference between the pigs and the humans.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. That was due to the fact George Orwell took real history, and converted it into a great piece of classic literature. I loved the way he constituted animals into specific groups of people. For example, the pigs were the social and political elite, and the animals were their subjects. I would recommend this story to anyone who loves political thrillers, and that are old enough to understand political references.

message 3: by Garreth (new)

Garreth Durst | 1 comments 1.For my literature assignment I chose to read the book "The Red Badge Of Courage" by Stephen Crane. I chose this book because I enjoy reading books about war and history.
2."The Red Badge Of Courage" is about a boy in the civil war and his struggle to gain the confidence not to run away from the battle and fight like a man.
3.I thought this book was very good I enjoyed reading it although the way the author made the characters talk was at times was hard to understand.
4.Yes I would recomend this book to friend.

message 4: by Cody (new)

Cody Bailey | 2 comments 1. For my literature assignment I chose to read the book "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellsion. I chose this book becuase it looked like a really interesting book when I picked it up from the library.
2. "Invisible Man" is about an African American man who is going through life in a different way that most African Americans went through in the 1940's. He is elected Valedictorian, is part of a Brotherhood in New York City, and helps fight Civil Rights for his race. That's not even all he did.
3. I thought this book was very exciting and it was also very serious. The author made it an interesting book to read.
4. Yes I would recommend this book to a friend.

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby Fo | 2 comments 1)For my literature assignment I read the book "Of Mice and Men." I chose this book because multiple people told me it was a good book.

2)"Of Mice and Men" is a story about two men named George and Lennie who are childhood friends. George has always looked out for the mentally ill Lennie, so doesn't hesitate to take him to work in a new town after they run into trouble in their previous home. In the end, Lennie gets in trouble once again for killing a woman.

3)I did not enjoy this book. Although many people told me this story would make me cry when Lennie died, it failed to do so. The plot was very boring and predictable and the whole story basically consisted of George re-telling Lennie the same things over and over.

4)No, I would not recommend this book to anyone. This book is also not suitable for children because of the language.

message 6: by Arik Sheets (new)

Arik Sheets | 2 comments 1. For my literature assignment, I chose to read Of Mice and Men. I chose it because my mom said that it made her cry, and I was up to the challenge.
2. The book is basically about two guys who get jobs working on a ranch. One of the men is mentally ill, and the other must watch out for the ill one. The ill one, Lenny, accidentally kills a dog and one of the ranch workers' wife.
3. I thought that the book was okay. It didn't make me cry like I thought it was going to, and it the ending wasn't very climactic. I think that the end could've been a bit more dramatic and they could've included a fight.
4. Yes, I would recomend this book to my friends. I would recommend this book to a friend who is younger, because it is a classic that everybody should read. It didn't make me cry, but it probably would make a younger kid cry. I give it a 7/10.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin Mckown | 2 comments 1. I chose the book The Red Pony because it seemed interesting because it had a horse on the front cover.
2. The book is split up into 4 subbooks. It basically involves a boy and his family doing things around a ranch during his boyhood. Also included on the farm are different farm animals and a farm hand named
Billy.
3. I didnt like the book because of the way it was set up inside itself (refering to the 4 subbooks).
4. I would recommend it to maybe a younger child, because I think they can appreciate it better than what I did.

message 8: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Well | 2 comments I read the book, 1984 by George Orwell, the reason for my choosing of this book was it was recommended by one of my friends. The book is about a man living in a time which the individual is oppressed and constantly on surveillance. Throughout the book, the main character faces several internal conflicts about love, individuality, and the good of the whole community. I did not enjoy the book, because the tone and pace of how the text read was very slow and dark. The book took some time to process. I would recommend the book to people who enjoy taking time to processing the full idea of the story.

message 9: by Ms. Okes (new)

Tucker wrote: "For my class literature assignment, I chose to read the book "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. I chose this story because my ninth grade English teacher showed my class the animated film based off of..."

You would be surprised how many people don't realize that the book is an allegory (basically, one giant, story-long metaphor).

message 10: by Ms. Okes (new)

Garreth wrote: "1.For my literature assignment I chose to read the book "The Red Badge Of Courage" by Stephen Crane. I chose this book because I enjoy reading books about war and history.
2."The Red Badge Of Coura..."

Remember, book titles are underlined or italicized. I think it's an excellent book, and a good recommendation for people who like history and action.

message 11: by Ms. Okes (new)

Cody wrote: "1. For my literature assignment I chose to read the book "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellsion. I chose this book becuase it looked like a really interesting book when I picked it up from the library.
2..."

Is it a good recommendation for those who like history? Or does it seem to give the opposite of most history books?
Remember, book titles are underlined of italicized.

message 12: by Ms. Okes (new)

Arik wrote: "1. For my literature assignment, I chose to read Of Mice and Men. I chose it because my mom said that it made her cry, and I was up to the challenge.
2. The book is basically about two guys who get..."

Arik wrote: "1. For my literature assignment, I chose to read Of Mice and Men. I chose it because my mom said that it made her cry, and I was up to the challenge.
2. The book is basically about two guys who get..."

Abby wrote: "1)For my literature assignment I read the book "Of Mice and Men." I chose this book because multiple people told me it was a good book.

2)"Of Mice and Men" is a story about two men named George a..."

Do you and your mom usually cry over the same things? How old was she when she read it?

message 13: by Ms. Okes (new)

Justin wrote: "1. I chose the book The Red Pony because it seemed interesting because it had a horse on the front cover.
2. The book is split up into 4 subbooks. It basically involves a boy and his family doing ..."

Aha! So you admit that the book was too juvenile! Let's pick something more challenging next time, yes?

message 14: by Ms. Okes (new)

Brandon wrote: "I read the book, 1984 by George Orwell, the reason for my choosing of this book was it was recommended by one of my friends. The book is about a man living in a time which the individual is oppress..."

I found it hard to get started with 1984, but if you keep at it, the book gets better.
Watch your run-on sentences!

message 15: by Jack (new)

Jack Victory | 5 comments For my classic literature assignment, I read The Red Pony. It was about a boy who lived with his parents on a farm. His dad give him a horse to look after when he was little and he fell in love with it. But it was all too soon. The horse died and he was very upset. His dad then surprised him with a pony of his own. The boy had to take care of the pony after it got sick and few years after he got it. In the end the pony died and the boy was heartbroken again. I would recommend it to others because it is a very touching story. By where we live, a lot of people can put themselves in the place of the boy.