Literature & Film discussion

1 view
1408 ___(you know.. the stephen king adap.)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael | 13 comments So, I finally got a chance to see the movie 1408 on Christmas eve.

The movie stars John Cusack as a writer who debunks haunted hotels, ghosts, etc..
Samuel Jackson plays the hotel manager.

I found the film to be very entertaining. John Cusack and Samuel Jackson are both excellent, there's decent effects, and the story/script is good. Theres some very strange and funny things that happen, but it really wasn't all that scary.

It's a fun and smart thriller, and a great date movie.

Has anyone else seen it yet?

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 8 comments I haven't seen the film, but I did enjoy the short story, as well as the entire collection in "Everything's Eventual." King adaptations are often spotty.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason | 6 comments hi Michael, Jonathan-

I wasn't too keen on "1408". Started well enough, but it felt like a real drag, a real conventional drag, despite its plot tricks. It never really caught that sense of dread which the best King can.

Have either of you--or any others--seen "The Mist?" I thought *that* film really captured, and like a dog with a bone shook in its tight grip, that sense of uncertain horror. There's a scene where everyone in the store realizes that "something" is out in the mist, and they're horrified; the protagonist's kid starts sobbing, and the camera follows him down an aisle as he tries to console, calm down his son. In most horror films, the kid calms down; in most horror films, that calming makes us, out in the audience, feel better. This scene seemed to last minutes, and the kid just kept crying, and crying. That, in a nutshell, is what "The Mist" did, novella and film. One of my favorite King adaptations (admittedly a short list).