Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Mysteries by Era > Early 20th Century

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 6 comments I especially love mystery novels set in the early 20th century. I would appreciate some recommendations. Some that I know of:

Maisie Dobbs
Mark of the Lion (Jade Del Cameron)

of course Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers.

Thanks!

message 2: by Robin (last edited Oct 17, 2012 10:51AM) (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 6 comments Laurie R. King's series on Sherlock Holmes, starting with The Beekeeper's Apprentice is set in 1915. We typically think of Holmes as the quintessential Victorian detective but it takes place later in his life. I have not read it myself but have had my eye on it.

Oh and I have this one waiting to be read: A Duty To The Dead

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 26 comments Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn
Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 347 comments The Beekeeper's Apprentice is a cracking read. Recommended, as is Maisie Dobbs.

Anne Perry has a series of five mystery novels set during the Great War, starting with No Graves As Yet.

The Amelia Peabody mysteries run up into the 20s, though the first one, Crocodile on the Sandbank, is set in the late 19th century.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 26 comments I love the Amelia Peabody series

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 12 comments You might enjoy the Pennyfoot Hotel series by Kate Kingsbury if you like cozier hisotricals...also Mrs. Jeffries series by Emily Brightwell...set int he Victorian period...I don't think a year is ever given, just a vague Victorian era.

My husband and I both enjoy the Sam McCarver John Darnell series aobut a paranormal debunker....set in the early 20th century.

Also, the Disaster Mysteries...one of which is set on the Titanic. Another, set in the 1940's. has Agatha Christie as a sleuth. Those are the only two I've read but there are others...they are by Max Allen Collens.

message 7: by M. (new)

M. Myers (MRuth) | 8 comments I second A Duty To The Deadand others in the same series by Charles Todd featuring WWI nurse Bess Crawford. A different series by the same author features a male detective, Ian Rutledge, and is equally fine.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 6 comments Thanks for the recommendations!

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryCastillo) | 10 comments I'm excited about Charles Todd's new Christmas story. This dynamic duo is on my insta-buy list!

message 10: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette | 15 comments Susanna wrote: "The Beekeeper's Apprentice is a cracking read. Recommended, as is Maisie Dobbs.

Anne Perry has a series of five mystery novels set during the Great War, starting with No Graves As Yet.

The Ameli..."

I highly recommend the Maise Dobbs series by Winspear.

message 11: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 142 comments I recommend the Fremont Jones series by Dianne Day. It deals with an independent woman in turn of the 20th century San Francisco who sets up shop as an investigator.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryCastillo) | 10 comments I loved this series! Fremont was a great character who was truly ahead of her time. Also there's a romance that runs through the series.

Shomeret wrote: "I recommend the Fremont Jones series by Dianne Day. It deals with an independent woman in turn of the 20th century San Francisco who sets up shop as an investigator."

message 13: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Stoner (SLStoner) | 6 comments I love researching the early 1900's because there are so many parallels with current day such as the consolidation of wealth and power versus the rise of progressive and worker-driven grassroots movements. Some mystery books that take place in early 1900s are written by: Caleb Carr, Alienist & Angel of Darkness; Lauren Belfer, City of Light; Sarah Smith, The Vanished Child. City of Light was particularly interesting because it incorporates the coming of electricity to Buffalo.

message 14: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Rizzolo (SKRizzolo) | 48 comments Just saw Lauren's note about reposting my earlier comment in this thread, so here it is:

No, I am not familiar with Waugh's work, but I'd like to try one. Since it sounds as if you enjoyed Last Seen Wearing, perhaps that should be the one. As for mid 20th-century novels, I think of the work of Mary Stewart. How odd to think that her romantic suspense novels could now be thought of as historical fiction.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments S.K., have you read Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart? I thought it was a nice little story!

message 16: by Meghan (last edited Mar 31, 2015 06:05PM) (new)

Meghan | 221 comments Some favorites that take place in/around Vienna:

J. Sydney Jones' Karl Werthen series The Empty Mirror (starts in 1898 but by book 5 we're up to 1901).

Frank Tallis' Liebermann Papers A Death in Vienna begins in 1902.

Also love Charles Todd's Bess Crawford series.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Let us not forget Miss Flavia de Luce by Alan Bradley

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark | 23 comments Try the Police at the Funeral by Margery Allingham her campion books are good.

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna (drspoon) Paisley wrote: "Let us not forget Miss Flavia de Luce by Alan Bradley"

Yes, I wish we had a "Like" button.

message 20: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Rizzolo (SKRizzolo) | 48 comments Michelle wrote: "S.K., have you read Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart? I thought it was a nice little story!"

I missed this message, Michelle. Sorry for the delay! Yes, I have read almost all of Mary Stewart's novels. Love them! I think I must have read the first one when I was about 12.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Any that you particularly recommend?

message 22: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Rizzolo (SKRizzolo) | 48 comments Let's see. My favorites are probably Nine Coaches Waiting, The Moonspinners, and This Rough Magic. Try one, and let me know what you think.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Thanks! I will!

message 24: by Benjamin L (new)

Benjamin L | 48 comments Early 20th C. is probably my favorite too. I never miss a new book in the Mary Russell - Sherlock Holmes series (most recently Dreaming Spies). There's a new one coming this spring I think, so it's the perfect time to catch up.

Over Christmas I enjoyed a novella/short/episode introducing a new series set in Toronto with two female sleuths, A Singular and Whimsical Problem. The first novel of that series is also due out this coming spring I think. It looks great and has a great title, The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder.

I've somehow missed Elizabeth Peters this far in life. I'll catch up with her soon.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 1254 comments Mod
Benjamin wrote: "I've somehow missed Elizabeth Peters this far in life. I'll catch up with her soon. ."

Her Amelia Peabody series is wonderful. Highly recommend it.

message 26: by Benjamin L (new)

Benjamin L | 48 comments Went to grab Crocodile on the Sandbank via ebook at my library today but they don't have it. Will have to grab a print copy. Making a stop at Half Price Books tomorrow, will need to see if maybe they have one......

message 27: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 12 comments The ebook for Crocodile is 2.99 at Amazon...

message 28: by Phair (new)

Phair (SPhair) | 61 comments A series I always wanted to try is set in this period. This is he first: Sister Beneath the Sheet Sister Beneath the Sheet (Nell Bray, #1) by Gillian Linscott. The protagonist, Nell Bray is a suffragette. Has anyone read any of them?

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Lauren wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "I've somehow missed Elizabeth Peters this far in life. I'll catch up with her soon. ."

Her Amelia Peabody series is wonderful. Highly recommend it."

I LOVED Crocodile on the Sandbank! Haven't had a chance to read the rest. I literally have stacks of TBR books in my bedroom! I'm saving the rest of this series for a treat!