This topic is about Cloud Atlas
2012 Reads > CA: Movie Reviews

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 5099 comments Mod
Early reviews are apparently pretty polarized

message 2: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 2130 comments Next week I expect to see it in a new thread called 'Greatest Movie I Have Ever Seen'. But also in the 'Worst Movie I Ever Payed to Watch on the Big Screen' thread.

Tina (javabird) | 551 comments "Cloud Atlas made its big debut at the Toronto International Film Festival to a rousing chorus of "Hell yes!" and "What the hell was that?"

...So maybe it will help to have read the book first :)

Christopher | 16 comments Tina wrote: ...So maybe it will help to have read the book first :)"

Hell yes! :)

Lorie (LorieChristoffel) | 68 comments I'm going at midnight. One showing in my town. I hope it won't get sold out. ;-}

Duncan (3DMonkey) | 33 comments Roger Ebert just posted his review:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/...

Lorie (LorieChristoffel) | 68 comments I loved it. I think it needs subtitles because I had a hard time hearing all of Sloosha's Crossing so I can't imagine anyone who didn't read the book would understand what's going on. But my hearing may be going. I'm curious to find out how others felt.

Alterjess | 319 comments I've seen it twice now in as many days, and while I still have some quibbles, I'm moving pretty solidly into the Loved It camp. (I've come to terms with the fact that the Wachowskis are incapable of making a movie without turning it into a giant sweeping epic love story. Behind all the guns and dystopia, they're really just a couple of saps. I still think (view spoiler))

After speaking to friends who both have and haven't read the book, I don't think it helps much. I was getting lost in the places where major changes had been made, and my friends who hadn't read the book were getting lost in other parts. (I was able to fill in the gaps where the movie left things out, but half the time I was filling them in with the wrong details!)

Sloosha's Crossin' ABSOLUTELY needed subtitles. Or preferably, a dialect coach who understood that the accent should have been derived from Hawaii and not Alabama.

At the risk of sounding like spam, here is my husband's review: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/...

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 2224 comments Mod
I doubt I will be within 100 miles of a theatre before it's run ends.
Definitely one I'll be looking for when it's available for rental.

The TRS guys reviewed it today. All round positive reviews from them.
http://revision3.com/trs/cloud-atlas

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (javabird) | 551 comments Alterjess wrote: "..Sloosha's Crossin' ABSOLUTELY needed subtitles. Or preferably, a dialect coach who understood that the accent should have been derived from Hawaii and not Alabama...."

Ha-ha, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I could understand much when I was reading that section, either.

Ruth (tilltab) (till-tab) | 1383 comments Tina, did you write could instead of couldn't in that last comment? I ask only because I do it all the time and it makes me feel ever so stupid when I say the exact opposite of what I mean, and I will feel so much better knowing others do the same thing!

I haven't seen the film yet as it doesn't appear to be out in England (that, and I have no money) but I'm now really curious to hear how sloosha's crossing bit was done. I had no trouble whatever reading that section.

message 12: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (javabird) | 551 comments Ruth wrote: "Tina, did you write could instead of couldn't in that last comment? I ask only because I do it all the time and it makes me feel ever so stupid when I say the exact opposite of what I mean, and I w..."

yes, you're right, that's what I meant to say - I'm not the best typist.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2269 comments Too long. I started feeling it two hours in (but I'm impatient in general!).

I understand why the creators decided to have the same actors play multiple roles, crossing gender and racial roles. On many levels, i think this really reflected Mitchell's view of the universe. But this also had the effect of pulling me out of the story and thinking about prosthetics and eyebrows when I'd rather be following the story.

I think if I has to choose just one role for Tom Hanks, I loved him as Zachary. He really managed to pull off the fear, the dialect, and the ignorance that particular character demanded. That ended up being my favorite part. I also loved Jim Broadbent as Cavendish, and that section which in the book my brain always promptly forgets about turned out to be highly entertaining on screen. I would have watched an entire Cavendish movie!

I don't know about you guys, but I went at 7 pm opening night and my theater only had 8 people. One woman even asked me, "Where is everyone? This is a Tom Hanks movie!!"

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1212 comments I saw the movie this afternoon. On one hand, I enjoyed it a lot more than the book. On the other hand, if I hadn't read the book I would have been one of the many people I heard complaining about what a piece of crap the movie was. I did have to suspend some of my preconceptions of the characters, especially Zachry. In the book, he's in his late teens or early twenties. Tom Hanks plays him as Tom Hanks age.

I really loved the Somni-451 scenes. Wow. The visuals were amazing. My only complaint with that section was how awful the white actors looked made up as Asians. That just didn't work for me at all. They looked like Romulans. However, the young woman who played Somni was absolutely beautiful. She looked wonderful as a white woman and unrecognizable as a middle-aged Latina. The Somni-451 scenes were only the worst examples of really bad makeup. Hugh Grant's makeup in the Timothy Cavendish scenes was absolutely awful. I was really surprised at how perfect he looked as the Kona leader though.

One of the liberties they took that bothered me at first but that I later realized was a good idea was that the film switched between story lines quite frequently rather than doing half of each story, all of Zachry's story, than the last half of each story. It worked much better. However, it would have been nice if it hadn't opened with spoilers before the title.

One scene that made me both laugh and cringe was when (view spoiler)

message 15: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (javabird) | 551 comments Thanks for the reviews. My library copy expired before I was able to finish it, so I'll have to wait until I can get another copy & finish before I can see the movie.

Danno | 12 comments Hi all (bigtime lurker here). I just saw the movie and I must say I loved it! I was not really crazy about the novel, I'll admit. I think its biggest point of contention for me was the structure, as some of the viewpoints I didn't particularly care for felt like they took forever.

The movie, on the other hand, really resolved that problem for me. Intercutting the stories more frequently made it a lot easier to stomach the segments I wanted to end quickly (like the Luisa Rey storyline, and a lot of Somni-451).

I also believe that the acting in it really helped some of those borderline characters. For instance, the whole Cavendish story was a bit of a bore for me in the novel but it was probably my favorite part of the movie due, in no small part, to the humor the actor brought to the role.

Like others have said, though, it pays to have read the book first. I think I would have felt a sense of whiplash if I hadn't read the book.

Really loved the movie....

message 17: by kvon (last edited Oct 31, 2012 09:26PM) (new)

kvon | 558 comments I saw the movie tonight (8pm show, only me in the theater) and my biggest quibble was that I never understood why Somni was so important to the Unionists in the first place. It was neat seeing all the different stories inerlace. But I'm not sure what the message of the story was yet. (Note, I haven't read the book.)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1212 comments kvon wrote: "I saw the movie tonight (8pm show, only me in the theater) and my biggest quibble was that I never understood why Somni was so important to the Unionists in the first place. It was neat seeing all ..."

That's one of those things that's made clear if you read the book.

Michael (The_Smoking_GNU) | 178 comments /Filmcast Ep. 204 – Cloud Atlas
http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-...

Alterjess | 319 comments That's one of those things that's made clear if you read the book.

I just finished my reread of the second half of Sonmi's story in the book last night and was reminded of just how drastically her story was cut down for the film. (The way they changed the ending in particular is a MAJOR departure (view spoiler).)

Gavyn I watched the movie last night and while I liked the movie, I have some major issues with it. I actually really enjoyed the book once I got into it. Visually, the movie was fantastic. It was truly stunning. My issues were the vast chasm between the stories in the book and the stories in the movie. I don't want to spoil any of the major changes, but I was shocked and distracted due to the changes. Maybe I need to see it again now that I know about all of the changes.

message 22: by aldenoneil (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I'm thinking I'll wait just long enough so that the details of the book become murky so that the changes don't bother me. I'm loving the book so I imagine I'll feel the same as you, Gavyn.

message 23: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 2130 comments aldenoneil wrote: "I'm thinking I'll wait just long enough so that the details of the book become murky so that the changes don't bother me. I'm loving the book so I imagine I'll feel the same as you, Gavyn."

I wouldn't wait too long if I were you. It's not looking like the the movie will be around in theaters for very long.