50 books to read before you die discussion

General > Books to Movies!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 76) (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (Kaligurl_7) | 383 comments Mod
So i hear theres a lot of books that will be appearing on the big screen in the next few months.... what do you guys think?

i personally just picked up cloud atlas, but i havent started it and i doubt i'll read it before the movie comes out but i might try.....

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen | 6 comments I saw while I was reading Life of Pi a few weeks back that the movie is being released later in the year. I enjoyed the book and am curious as to how they will adapt it. It must have been interesting experience, filming in a small boat with a big tiger...

message 3: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo (memorebling) You can watch the official trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BzowS...

message 4: by Mayra (new)

yeah i remember hearing about that one, but i havent read the book yet.... more reasons to get on with the list lol.... i had also heared Anna Karenina would be realeased in Nov.

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen | 6 comments Thanks for the link. Looks like they used a lot of CGI - probably a sensible idea when dealing with bengal tigers in boats.

I do want to read Anna Karenina - I tried before but found myself skimming though many pages so don't count it as finished. I've seen the movie described as 'post-modern'.

message 6: by Mayra (new)

I saw the previews for Life of Pi, ive never even looked into the book but the preview caught my attention and i still have a month to read the book before the moview comes out :)

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie Wright (Toomanyhats) I thought the book (Life of Pi) was wonderful. A bit slow in the beginning, but fascinating after his ship has sunk. I would love to hear what everyone thinks of the book after they read the ending. My daughter and I drew opposite conclusions.

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody Curtis (JodyCurtis) | 1 comments I just heard that Midnight's Children is coming out as a movie in November 2012. Since I just started reading it, I better hurry up and finish so I can compare the two versions!

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie Wright (Toomanyhats) I just saw Cloud Atlas, which was a most remarkable film. I understand it is a takeoff of a book. The movie had so many complexities and meanings, that I want to find that book and read it.

message 10: by Steven (new)

Steven Harbeck | 5 comments I always try to read the books before the movie. A lot of movies do a poor job of the book and therefore you miss out on a lot. The book may help you understand the movie better.

message 11: by Mayra (new)

i agree with you steven, i went and got the book but havent gotten to it yet, i am however almost ready to go see life if pi, im about half way done with the book :) and ive heard great things about the movie.

message 12: by Mayra (new)

i just watched the hobbit, i loved it. has any one else seen it?

message 13: by Perla (new)

Perla Susana | 2 comments Mayra wrote: "i just watched the hobbit, i loved it. has any one else seen it?"

i love it too! i think it was an amazing adaptation :D

message 14: by Mayra (new)

my brother said it was better than LOTR

message 15: by Andreea (new)

Andreea | 11 comments i also saw the hobbit..i really liked it,it was more complex than the book,but the book is worth reading too

message 16: by Cat (new)

Cat Sansom | 1 comments I absolutely loved The Hobbit, been to see it 3 times already XD Definitely on of the better film adaptations

message 17: by Mayra (new)

i read the book about 10 yrs ago and it took me forever to read, so ill just enjoy the movie, i dont know if i can go back and re read it.

im defenetly doing this backwards lol, i read it when fellowship of the ring came out, and now that the hobbit is out im reading fellowship of the ring lol

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Incredible beautiful film - visually stunning. Beyond that though, Jackson did a phenomenal job of mining additional sources to flesh out the story and give it more substance. He never strays from Tolkien, but it's obvious he's read some of Tolkien's more obscure writings.

message 19: by Olena (new)

Olena | 1 comments I think, it's wonderful that so much filmings are made. I'm really of endless sequels and priquels. And there so many great books which can be brought to the screen! I'm waiting for 'Great Gatsby'.

message 20: by Steven (new)

Steven Harbeck | 5 comments Yeah, but for once I would like a film to do a book justice. I have seen very few films that are as good as the book!

message 21: by Mayra (new)

i know we've mentioned this... i usually read a book b4 the movie... but with LOTR.... i found that its been a lot easier to follow along on Fellowship of the Ring, since i have seen the movie.

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) I have never seen The Fellowship of the Ring but just read/saw The Hobbit and couldn't wait to dive into this book. I am almost done with it. I want to watch the movie before I go on to the Two Towers. I am mesmorized by the genius of Tolkien. I can't fathom how much time he spent creating the LOTR universe but I am SO glad he did!

message 23: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (JuleseeMimi) | 8 comments Beth wrote: "I have never seen The Fellowship of the Ring but just read/saw The Hobbit and couldn't wait to dive into this book. I am almost done with it. I want to watch the movie before I go on to the Two To..."

I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring right now, too. I wasn't really expecting to like it much (even though I did like the movies) but I'm amazed at the detail of the backstories, the characters, and the plot.

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) Yes it is a fascinating story. I be came a fan overnight.

message 25: by Mayra (new)

Mimi wrote: "Beth wrote: "I have never seen The Fellowship of the Ring but just read/saw The Hobbit and couldn't wait to dive into this book. I am almost done with it. I want to watch the movie before I go on ..."

I was the same way, but i emjoyed it. What and imagination, to be able to create such a world... i cant wait to move one to two towers :)

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) I'm half way through Two Towers. The suspense is building, Gandolph confronting Saramon - Intense! And I love TreeBeard. (o:

message 27: by Mayra (new)

i just passed that part, and yeah it was amazing... i like that watching the movie has helped me picture him and how their slower and not in a rush

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) I'm about halfway through Return of the King. This is the first time I have read a series if books back to back. The conflicts are intense and the love for one another / comradery is beautiful.

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Carrier Was anyone else as disappointed as I was with the new Gatsby movie? Forget for a moment the incredible book the movie was based off of and forget the enticingly beautiful film with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow, the new Great Gatsby was a terrible movie on it's own.

message 30: by Mayra (new)

I just read the book for the first time, I wanted to go see the movie, but I guess not, I didn't know there was another one before

message 31: by Mayra (new)

im reading By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho, my mom recommended it so I thought i'd try it out. Ive read another book by him, The Alchemist and I recommended it to my mom so we'll see.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda wrote: "Was anyone else as disappointed as I was with the new Gatsby movie? Forget for a moment the incredible book the movie was based off of and forget the enticingly beautiful film with Robert Redford a..."

Personal taste is a huge factor in these sorts of choices. I didn't like the Redford version because I thought he was too busy admiring himself which made it hard to believe he was in love with Daisy. I don't even especially like the book and I loved the new film interpretation, which is the third or fourth by the way.

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Carrier No kidding? I would love to see the other ones. I just don't like how far they strayed from the 20's in this one. they made it super modern. however they did a better job in this one in portraying gatsbys true feelings, I will agree with you there.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The director, Baz Luhrman, is known for taking liberties, especially with costumes and music. Since I went in expecting a 'Moulin Rouge' type of experience I was prepared. One nice thing about the contemporary spin is that it shows how timeless and adaptable Fitzgerald's work is.

message 35: by Mayra (new)

I went and saw it last night, and I enjoyed it. I think Gatsby was done very well. I thought the same thing Amanda, that it was to modern, but my friend said that director is known for that and he mentioned Moulin Rouge... i didnt know it was the same director.

message 36: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) | 45 comments Compare to movies of Shakespeare's plays. Many are reinterpreted in different time. My son enjoyed a Macbeth placed in 20th century Germany, then we went to Hamlet stage play placed in 1920's Europe.

message 37: by Mayra (new)

Yeah my friend pointed out Romeo and Juliet, and the fact that it was different because it was set in a different time.

message 38: by Mayra (new)

There is more and more books being turned into movies and i cant keep up. I hope to go see Book Thief soon, and then there is Catching Fire which i loved. Any one have any other recomendations.

message 39: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 912 comments Mod
The Book Thief is an excellent movie. I had read the book; my wife hadn't. We both enjoyed the movie.

Ender's Game: Excellent book, so-so movie.

message 40: by Andreea (new)

Andreea | 11 comments I just watched Hobbit 2 and it was really good,although it didn't stick very much to the book,I enjoyed it very much:)):))and I recommand it

message 41: by Steve (new)

Steve mitchell | 54 comments Buck wrote: "The Book Thief is an excellent movie. I had read the book; my wife hadn't. We both enjoyed the movie.

Ender's Game: Excellent book, so-so movie."

the movie was ok, you have to remember for some of us older folks who read this wayyy back in the day and kept hoping it would be made into a movie, and the false starts and rumors, I never thought it would get made.

They should have made this into 2 movies at least, one dealing with earth and the bro/sis (they completely dumped that which was one of the best parts of the book) and then started on the war games training in space. Then went into the second movie with the rest of the training his maturation and then moving on into outer space. And the finale wasnt as epic and grand as I would have liked and Razir wasnt in it enough.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (LisaDannatt) | 792 comments Loved The Book Thief. Any movie that gets my husband to read is a winner in my eyes.

message 43: by Buck (last edited Mar 02, 2014 07:50AM) (new)

Buck (spectru) | 912 comments Mod
I've just read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I had seen the movie on TV. (I've seen two or three of the other Harry Potter movies, but I can never keep them straight.) I'd say they pretty much nailed it in the movie. The story didn't seem compressed, the special effects were great, and the characters were mostly right on the money. Alan Rickman is perfect as Snape, and Hagrid is right out of the book.

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (LisaDannatt) | 792 comments Buck wrote: "I've just read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I had seen the movie on TV. (I've seen two or three of the other Harry Potter movies, but I can never keep them straight.) I'd say they pret..."

I was not impressed by Columbus's take on HP at all...

message 45: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Blosser (eblosser) | 3 comments I really enjoyed all of the Harry Potter movies (not as much as the books of course). I think that they did a fairly good job keeping to the original story.

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (LisaDannatt) | 792 comments I watched them with my bestie and my husband who have not read the books. There are gaps. Esp movies 3,4 &6.
But I'm a harsh critic, dedicated Pottermaniac

message 47: by Mayra (new)

Lisa wrote: "I watched them with my bestie and my husband who have not read the books. There are gaps. Esp movies 3,4 &6.
But I'm a harsh critic, dedicated Pottermaniac"

my favorite book is prisoner of azkaban and yeah i wasn't to happy with the movie. I also thought the 6th one had gaps, but over all i liked them.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (LisaDannatt) | 792 comments I liked the setting for prisoner it there's a huge third act issue.
The finals were great though.
I always think that fans should approve scripts before filming...

message 49: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Blosser (eblosser) | 3 comments Yea, that's true, I think that the Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite book but least favorite movie.

message 50: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth White | 54 comments The movies were all acceptable. The early ones were close to the books, as the books were much shorter. More "missing" or changed from the books as the movies progress.

« previous 1