Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Adding Books To Shelves Changed Again?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 405 comments When I add a book to my to-read shelf, I also like to put it on an own-unread shelf or a wish-list shelf. Until recently, I would get a pop-up box that allowed me to add a book to more than one shelf. Now, I just get to add it to one of the exclusive shelves and I have to click on "edit my review" to add it to other shelves. It's a pain in the butt. I'd love to see it go back to the way it was.

message 2: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Yes, it got changed recently. I agree with you, but the vocal majority didn't like the pop-up.

If you choose something other than "to-read", you still get the pop-up. So sometimes I choose "read" and then change it to "to-read" when the window pops up.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 405 comments I'll try that next time.

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 422 comments I really like how it is now. You can quickly add books to your to-read list without excessive clicks by using the drop-down menu when you mouse-over the button, or you can add a book to several shelves at once, including to-read, by clicking on the button and using the pop-up window. It's the best of both worlds and you can alternate back and forth between the two, choosing whichever will be best for the book in question.

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Feb 15, 2009 08:57AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 672 comments Hmm thats wrong mlady, when it did it for me it automatically just put it as read when I clicked the button. It wouldnt even give me the choice.

This is highly annoying.

message 6: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 422 comments When you click on the button, the pop-up window does default to "read." But it is easy to change it to "to-read" at the same time you are adding the book to other shelves. If you JUST want it on your "to-read" or any other exclusive shelf, don't click on the button. Just put your mouse over the button and it will give you a pull-down menu to choose the shelf.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5100 comments Luann, I just tried clicking on the "Add to my shelves" button, and it just added the book to my "read" shelf. There was no pop-up box that would allow me to shelve it differently. I'm currently using IE7.

I normally hover the mouse over the button and choose the correct option, but I did like the pop-up window so that I could move things around. I got around the lack of the pop-up box by having an exclusive "To be shelved" shelf.

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 672 comments Ya I didnt notice a hover over either.. to allow me to change.. Am using Firefox, whatever latest version is.

message 9: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Tricia wrote: "Hmm thats wrong mlady, when it did it for me it automatically just put it as read when I clicked the button. It wouldnt even give me the choice."

I don't click the button, I click on one of the choices when you mouse over and the drop down appears. If you choose to-read, that's it. It grounds you and you have to edit the book again. If you choose another choice, you get the nice pop-up window.

You need to allow scripts to run on the Goodreads site. That's the only reason I would think the mouse over would fail to appear.

Luann wrote: It's the best of both worlds and you can alternate back and forth between the two, choosing whichever will be best for the book in question.

Not really. If you like the pop-up, you're forced to call a book something other than to-read every time. It's an extra step, no matter how you look at it.

The best of both worlds would be a option in your profile to turn on or turn off the pop-up. This current option simply favors people who don't shelve things in multiple ways.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Well, the way it is now, I choose the original shelf (usually to-read) then immediately click edit and select the rest of the shelves I want. Does having to do that really annoy members that much? I find it painless. Of course, I know it can be done that way; it may not be intuitive.

message 11: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Lisa wrote: "Well, the way it is now, I choose the original shelf (usually to-read) then immediately click edit and select the rest of the shelves I want. Does having to do that really annoy members that much? ..."

I find it painful only because it was easier before. I hate it when features you love and make heavy use of are removed in the name of "improvement".

The number one rule for user interface design is consistency. Even if you're doing something in a less than efficient way, your legacy users will be upset when you suddenly change the way they are used to doing things.

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna | 966 comments I hated the popup when it first started appearing for that same reason, I was used to being able to quickly add a lot of books to my to-read list at once and was not happy about having to move my mouse and click to dismiss the goofy window every time.

It was many, many months before I realized that I could dismiss the popup by clicking anywhere outside of it (and not just on the little X in the corner of the box or the close link). I didn't hate it quite so much after that, but it was still an annoyance more often than not.

I love that now I can choose to either quickly add books to my to-read list or access the window by picking another shelf to start out with. A profile option could be a good thing, but if so then I hope that there are three choices - on, off, and how it is right now.

message 13: by JG (The Introverted Reader) (last edited Feb 16, 2009 04:22AM) (new)

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 541 comments I'm clicking on the button and using it the same way I always have to add a book to several shelves at once.

message 14: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 508 comments No matter which way it is, there's always a group that wishes it was the other way - hopefully, Otis & co. can find a way to let us choose in our account settings which option we have. I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea if that's even possible, but given the complaints that exist no matter WHICH option the site goes with, it seems like the prime candidate for this sort of thing.

It's pre-coffee, I don't feel like I was very articulate, my apologies in advance for awkward word choice.

message 15: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 672 comments Indeed Brooke :) It would be nice to have the option to turn that on or off :)

I must check my scripts on the page then mlady, thanks for the suggestion :)

message 16: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 66 comments Brooke wrote: hopefully, Otis & co. can find a way to let us choose in our account settings which option we have

I strongly support this suggestion. If that is not possible however, it would be an improvement if one could set the default shelf for newly added books to some other shelf than 'to-read'. I usually add new books I find on amazon to my 'wishlist', while 'to-read' books I already own.