Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Conjunctions #1
This topic is about Conjunctions #1
Serieses! > Conjunctions Literary Journal

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Violetta (new)

Violetta | 479 comments I've been cleaning up entries for the literary magazine Conjuctions, published bi-annually by Bard College. I wanted to now make a series listing for the volumes, but I'm second-guessing whether or not they actually count as a series.

All editions have multiple authors contribute, but all are edited by Bradford Morrow (whom I've listed in primary author space). I don't believe these works can be considered imprints, but I can't decide if the "Series" label can be applied either...

Any input would be great :)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32659 comments Mod
I don't see how that is a series. No shared universe, locale, etc.

message 3: by Violetta (new)

Violetta | 479 comments rivka wrote: "I don't see how that is a series. No shared universe, locale, etc."

That's what is keeping me from making a series listing. I couldn't recall if that was part of GR's definition of series.

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Literary journals are a weird ambiguous space in this question. Short story anthology series are series -- I think this is generally agreed, yes? Things like "Year's Best Science Fiction 2007"? -- and that's essentially what literary journals are, except that not all journals have such a consistent theme.

message 5: by Violetta (new)

Violetta | 479 comments Cait wrote: "Short story anthology series are series ... Things like "Year's Best Science Fiction 2007"? ..."

The very reason I considered making Conjunctions into a series in the first place :)
I'll keep from making it a series, for the reason that one issue isn't connected to any other by anything other than editor, and the overall goal of Bard College to publish each edition with a distinct theme.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Cait wrote: "I think this is generally agreed, yes?"

I don't really see why those would be series either.

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments But they're books put together thematically for the explicit purpose of being in that series, applying to every edition of each book. There are lots and lots of these anthology series in the system now. I could really swear we discussed this before...? Here's what I could find:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

"Thematically" is rather a stretch, when often the common theme is so broad as "science fiction" or "fantasy".

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Maybe, but it was still a deliberate choice by the creator of the books. I don't see an argument for not calling them a series.