Miévillians discussion

Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
This topic is about Perdido Street Station
Perdido Str Station Discussion > Perdido St Station Discussion- prep.

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Traveller (last edited Oct 16, 2012 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments Hello fellow readers, as you can see, we are currently trying to gauge a fair reading pace for our group read. Additional structure will be added to the group read folder as soon as we have figured this out.

Input from members is welcome.

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments Dear Mievillians, since the majority of respondents to our poll indicated that they feel most comfortable at a pace of under 80 pages a day, I have started to wonder if we shouldn't perhaps start the read a bit earlier, say Saturday November 4?

Unfortunately the week following, (November 4-9) will be an extremely busy week for me.

I think we should schedule things so that we have at least the first five or six chapters read by November 9 in order to start formally discussing the first chapters by Friday evening, November 9.

I would advise you to at least start the novel by end of October if you feel that a pace of around 45 pages a day might still be too fast for you. Faster readers are unfortunately in the minority, but please feel free to start posting on around the 9th or 10th and carry on to the next sections if you feel the urge to comment at a faster pace than the rest of the group. Thanks. :)

Andrea So are we reading 45 pages a day?

message 4: by Traveller (last edited Oct 23, 2012 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments Andrea wrote: "So are we reading 45 pages a day?"

Yes, i was hoping to have a planning schedule set up by now, but some erm, private discussions have been seriously hampering my ability to spend time on this.

Apologies, i'll try to get back on track as soon as possible.

Andrea I guess i could start when I'm finished with The Scar

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments Well, as long as you have done up to about chapter 4 or 5 by November 10, it should be fine.

Andrea Okies

Kris (krisrabberman) I'm making room for this read, Trav. Thanks.

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments Glad to hear that, Kris! I'm not really a huge Mievile sycophant, but this specific novel contains a few issues that should lead to interesting discussions.

message 10: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris (krisrabberman) It will be my first book my him, although I've been stockpiling Miéville for a while. I must have known you would start this group. :)

Richard Derus (Oldfan) Kris wrote: "It will be my first book my him, although I've been stockpiling Miéville for a while. I must have known you would start this group. :)"

And to start with PSS!

message 12: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris (krisrabberman) Richard wrote: "Kris wrote: "It will be my first book my him, although I've been stockpiling Miéville for a while. I must have known you would start this group. :)"

And to start with PSS!"

I'm excited! And I know the group discussions will be great.

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments I think it's a good place to start Mieville, although admittedly a bit long. He does waffle on a bit in quite a few places and sadly loses some readers because of that.

message 14: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris (krisrabberman) I've always been good with long books. :)

message 15: by Mosca (last edited Oct 23, 2012 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mosca Perdido Street Station is what put Miéville on the map for most folks; it's the start of the New Crobuzon Books; and it is astonishingly inventive. A very good introduction to China Miéville.
You'll know pretty quick why people are so impressed.

And since I'm such a slow reader, compared to the titans of Goodreads, it will give me a head start on The Scar ;)

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments The Scar might be next, but also The City & The City, as well as Embassytown and Railsea. I really must get the planning schedules up there..

message 17: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris (krisrabberman) Ooh -- I think I already have all of them, with the possible exception of Railsea, but that's easily remedied. Now I feel farsighted rather than simply compulsive. :)

message 18: by Derek, Miéville fan-boi (last edited Oct 23, 2012 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Derek (derek_broughton) | 761 comments Ugh. I'll reread any of the others (except Kraken), but you can't make me reread The Scar :-)

Jake will probably be hard to do - I can't find a copy anywhere, and others have said the same.

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments Glad to be of service, Kris. :)

Derek, you could always be out discovering new authors while we read The Scar. ;)

message 20: by Derek, Miéville fan-boi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Derek (derek_broughton) | 761 comments That's for sure. There are always new authors...

message 22: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Tiberius Green (my_name_is_bill) Hello everyone,
I'm new to this group, and I look forward to participating.
I've been a China Mieville fan for quite a while now. Perdido Street Station was my first read, and it is my all-time favorite book.
I believe I've read it about four times, and I look forward to reading it again.
I look forward to your thoughts on this book.
Bill

message 23: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian "Marvin" Graye Welcome, Bill. We look forward to your thoughts, too.

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments Hi Bill! Welcome. :)
Our participants have been so eager, that they started a bit ahead of the starting gun, so please go ahead into the group read sections and enjoy. :)

message 25: by Cecily (last edited Jun 02, 2014 04:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cecily | 301 comments A year and a half late, and I've finally started PSS. So far, it's very good (but I'm only 50 pages in). Expect some necroposting in these discussions in coming days and weeks - and if anyone else wants to join in, all the better!

Traveller (Moontravlr) | 1838 comments Cool, Cecily, this book has a very special place for me, so I'll follow your progress with interest!

message 27: by Derek, Miéville fan-boi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Derek (derek_broughton) | 761 comments Cecily wrote: "Expect some necroposting in these discussions in coming days and weeks - and if anyone else ..."

Excellent! That's one of the things I love about GR discussions, and I'm happy to help you participate. If I can remember...

Cecily | 301 comments Just reading the old discussions is really enriching, but a bit of interaction from you guys is even better. Thanks.

message 29: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth (Sissah) | 266 comments Cecily wrote: "A year and a half late, and I've finally started PSS. So far, it's very good (but I'm only 50 pages in). Expect some necroposting in these discussions in coming days and weeks - and if anyone else ..."

I have been meaning to reread this one so I'll tag along if you don't mind, Cecily.

Cecily | 301 comments Ruth wrote: "I have been meaning to reread this one so I'll tag along if you don't mind, Cecily."

Of course I don't mind (and it's not my position to do so anyway). I am reading quite quickly, as I'd put it off until I had plenty of time on my hands, but I'll keep popping back as long as you or anyone else is posting.