Talk About It! discussion

Talk, about Movies

Comments (showing 1-50 of 156) (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey.

What is your view of movies? Are you a fan? Don't like them? Impartial towards them?

What are some good ones? Recommendations? Warnings?

What are your favourites? Why? What was good about them? What do you think of the casting? Settings? Direction of the movie?

Upcoming movies - what is your take on them?

Talk about it!

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments MOVIES, MOVIES, MOVIES!

The next best thing after reading or about as good - depending!

Okay so I saw The Avengers at the cinemas twice, The Amazing Spiderman, Sherlock Holmes 2 and John Carter. I liked them all but the Marvel films were definitely the best. The Avengers makes it onto my list of favourite all time films.

I'm looking forward to The Hobbit when it releases later in the year. Been looking forward to it for agessss.

I also saw The Muppets film and We Bought a Zoo on dvd. Best family films I've seen this year.

My favourite movies are:

1. The Lord of the Rings/ The Avengers / Inception
2. Any of the Star Wars movies/ other Marvel movies
3. Any other movies I like: The Pirates of the Caribbean quartet, Sherlock Holmes, The Island, Any Pixar movie, The Princess Bride, The Chronicles of Narnia movies, Irobot, The Matrix, Tron Legacy, Terminator 1,2 and Salvation, Predator...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "MOVIES, MOVIES, MOVIES!

Okay so I saw The Avengers at the cinemas twice, The Amazing Spiderman, Sherlock Holmes 2 and John Carter. ..."

I really liked The Avengers and The Amazing Spiderman too, though The Avengers was significantly more enjoyable.

"...My favourite movies are:

1. The Lord of the Rings/ The Avengers / Inception
2. Any of the Star Wars movies/ other Marvel movies
3. Any other movies I like: The Pirates of the Caribbean quartet, Sherlock Holmes, The Island, Any Pixar movie, The Princess Bride, The Chronicles of Narnia movies, Irobot, The Matrix, Tron Legacy, Terminator 1,2 and Salvation, Predator...
..."

I really like both The Avengers and Inception, and The Lord of The Rings is quite good, but I haven't seen Number 3 yet....
:D I am currently watching Star Wars for the first time Ever this week! I have watched the first 2 episodes, and they are pretty good :) better than I thought they would be!
I like most of those movies too.

I tend not to have favourites, but mine are probably:
The Avengers, Taken, Bridge to Terebithia, AVP, It's kind of a funny story, Star Wars I and II, The Lightning thief. (so far - I have a bunch to watch on my desk at home)

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Emily wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "MOVIES, MOVIES, MOVIES!

Okay so I saw The Avengers at the cinemas twice, The Amazing Spiderman, Sherlock Holmes 2 ..."

Lord of the Rings number three is the best. They changed the story from the book but I still love the movie a lot. It's as good an adaptation as I think is possible!

AVP? I haven't watched it yet but I plan to...

I have favourites like I have book favourites.
I have favourites favourites that I own for good and then there are favourites I want to own. Then there are movies I just like at certain moments to watch.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Emily wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "MOVIES, MOVIES, MOVIES!

Okay so I saw The Avengers at the cinemas twice, The Amazing Spiderman, Sher..."

Oh, well I do believe my sister has a copy of Lord of the Rings number 3, so I will borrow it from her to check it out.

I have favourites in books too, but like in movies they are not really favourites, just the ones I prefer and somethings that I like better at certain times.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Emily wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Emily wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "MOVIES, MOVIES, MOVIES!

Okay so I saw The Avengers at the cinemas twice, The Amazin..."

It's also such a great book...but I think modern fantasy is so much faster if not as high quality.

I do, in a brainless way, like the Transformer films too. They're rubbish but like visual sweets with the explosions.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Emily wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Emily wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "MOVIES, MOVIES, MOVIES!

Okay so I saw The Avengers at the cinemas twi..."

I also liked the Transformers movies. I guess the whole idea of trucks and cars turning into things that can talk and run around and full on have wars and such just entertained me and I liked it :)

message 8: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
I love the concept of Transformers, but I hate the movies. There is way to much people and not enough robots. I much prefer the video game War for Cybertron.

BTW, has anyone seen the DC animated film The Dark Knight Returns. It is awsome!

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments I've read the comic, haven't seen the animated film. I should...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Danny wrote: "I love the concept of Transformers, but I hate the movies. There is way to much people and not enough robots. I much prefer the video game War for Cybertron.

BTW, has anyone seen the DC animated..."

Yeah, too much focus on the people and their problems, rather than the actual thing the movie is all about...

message 11: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

The Mighty Katara | 482 comments Mod
The Transformers movies are awful. Not nearly enough robots.

And The Dark Knight Returns is an epic movie. It's almost as good as the live action Batman movies.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I really want to watch that movie....

message 13: by ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (last edited Oct 25, 2012 10:22PM) (new)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments I love movies! Book to movie adaptions tend to be EPIC FAILS. :*( Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief is a perfect example. Good movie by itself. If you read the book first though, it falls sooooo short of your expectations. The best book to movie adaption I've seen is the 2003 release of Peter Pan that starred Jeremy Sumpter, followed by The Thief Lord, and The Hunger Games.
I love epic movies. Lots of heroes, and action. Which is why LOTR, Dark Knight Trilogy (well, once ive finished the scond and seen the third), CofN, and Star Wars are some of my all time favs. I however cannot do super gore (despite loving the storyline and cinematography, and witnessing live surgery, I had my eyes behind my hands for half of Saving Private Ryan). And horror? Oh dear, NO. The trailer for the new Silent Hill movie has already caused me to shriek and shudder violently. My imagination is all too active to handle something as creepy as a horror movie. I'm checking the shadows at night after reading a good mystery book! I do NOT need to watch a horror movie. It would not end well.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments CofN?
I agree on the Percy Jackson thing. I liked the film as a film, but having read the book first it was only okay. That's why I got my sister to read the book after she's seen the movie when she was like: but I've seeb the movie! I said: it's not the same.
The Peter Pan with Jeremy Sumpter was pretty enjoyable. I think though that The Princess Bride, The Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park and To Kill a Mocking Bird are some of the best film adaptations. Okay Hunger Games was pretty good, but my Dad did indicate that not everything made sense unless you'd seen or knew the book.

message 15: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

I don't like horror either. And I love CoN too. I'm not a huge fan of gore either, but I love Gladiator, The Last Samurai and The Kingdom of Heaven, which are fairly violent movies.

I also love The Magnificient Seven from the 1960s. Definitely my favorite western.

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Gladiator's good too!
Ah I forgot to mention I also love The Bourne Movies. They're different from the books but it's a good different. Each is really good!

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments *facepalm* LOTR is great book to movie adaption but I was SO mad about the end of Return of the King. And C of N is Chronicles of Narnia. :)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments And I have yet to actually watch Jurassic Park all the way through, I've only seen a portion of it and I'm not sure which one it was, but I read the book this summer and LOVED it. :)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments As for Princess Bride, have neither seen nor read it...I know I know, epic fail.

message 20: by György (new)

György | 180 comments ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "As for Princess Bride, have neither seen nor read it...I know I know, epic fail."

I have seen Princess Bride and I thought it was ridiculously stereotypical.

message 21: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

Gladiator is epic! And so is the Princess Bride. You should definitely watch it Tagg.

Did you guys all see the Amazing Spiderman? That was a really fun movie too.

message 22: by ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (last edited Oct 25, 2012 10:36PM) (new)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments György wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "As for Princess Bride, have neither seen nor read it...I know I know, epic fail."

I have seen Princess Bride and I thought it was ridiculously stereotypical."

*shrug* I have heard its a "must see". I have yet to see it, so I cannot judge. But I am willing to give it a shot. Maybe. If I have the time. When I last watched a movie.....the event escapes my memory. Oh wait no, two and a half weeks ago. But it barely counts cuz that was a "date".

message 23: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Ah yeah I like The Chronicles of Narnia but Treader really annoyed me...they're like books that I love most alongside 'Rings and then they went all Hollywood with Treader :/ But I liked the First two. I just hope the next one's more in line with the book like first one was.

I like the Return of the King as a film. I mean I love the Scourging of the Shire but I don't know how it would have worked in the film.

message 24: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

György wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "As for Princess Bride, have neither seen nor read it...I know I know, epic fail."

I have seen Princess Bride and I thought it was ridiculously stereotypical."

It's supposed to be...

message 25: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments The Mighty Katara wrote: "Gladiator is epic! And so is the Princess Bride. You should definitely watch it Tagg.

Did you guys all see the Amazing Spiderman? That was a really fun movie too."

Yeah, my second favourite Marvel film behind Avengers has to be that one. Spidey's a favoured hero of mine!

As for The Princess Bride being really stereotypical that's part of the humour. It's poking fun at fantasy and fairytales in a charming way!

message 26: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Ah yeah I like The Chronicles of Narnia but Treader really annoyed me...they're like books that I love most alongside 'Rings and then they went all Hollywood with Treader :/ But I liked the First t..."

I don't think they're making a fourth one. The haven't even said anything about one, and it's been two years now. I agree; the first was definitely the best.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments Yes, sadly Treader, although visually spectacular in the theater, fell epically short of my expectations. And they CUT THE ACCENT! How could that no good new director even remotely CONSIDER having Ben drop the accent?!?!? It was like he wasn't Caspian anymore!!!!!!

And sadly, I think they won't make anymore because the actors are all growing up too fast for them to crank out movies to match the speed that they are maturing, and actor replacement in a movie series is SO WRONG!

message 28: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

I hated his first accent so I was glad they dropped it, although I still didn't like him very much.

And I hate when movies replace actors. It's not even the same character anymore.

message 29: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

Jonathan wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Gladiator is epic! And so is the Princess Bride. You should definitely watch it Tagg.

Did you guys all see the Amazing Spiderman? That was a really fun movie too."

Yeah,..."

I liked the Avengers and X-Men First Class better, but Amazing Spiderman was still good. (Much better than Maguire's Spiderman.) Spidey is definitely one of my all time favorite superheroes.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments Me being the Hispanic that I am, in addition to having Italian relatives, I loved the accent. And the guy that played Miraz, I had the hardest time not imagining him as Miraz for the first hour of the movie Padre Pio. GREAT movie btdubs.

message 31: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

Never heard of that movie, but Miraz was really cool. My favorites in those movies were definitely Lucy, Edmund, Peter, and Aslan. They were just such interesting and likable characters.

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments I like X-Men first class but Spidey trumps all the non Wolverine X-Men for me. He's one of the three great superheroes of all time alongside Superman and Batman.

Yeah well it looks like the 4th film won't get made till 2014 meaning Eustace Scrubb will be a lot older. I guess that could make sense if they set it when he's finishing school. Douglas Gresham wants to make Silver Chair a film and do individual studios rather than one studio having the contract!

message 33: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments The Mighty Katara wrote: "Never heard of that movie, but Miraz was really cool. My favorites in those movies were definitely Lucy, Edmund, Peter, and Aslan. They were just such interesting and likable characters."

Just like the book characters...

message 34: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I like X-Men first class but Spidey trumps all the non Wolverine X-Men for me. He's one of the three great superheroes of all time alongside Superman and Batman.

Yeah well it looks like the 4th fi..."

I like Spidey better than Wolverine, I just think that First Class was a better movie. And my favorite superhero is definitely Superman, with Captain America, Green Arrow, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Spidey coming pretty close to second. Haha, that's a lot of heroes, and I didn't even name a lot that I love almost as much.

I thought they were planning on making the Magician's Nephew into a movie?

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments The Mighty Katara wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I like X-Men first class but Spidey trumps all the non Wolverine X-Men for me. He's one of the three great superheroes of all time alongside Superman and Batman.

Yeah well it look..."

First Class is probably a better made movie. But I like Amazing Spiderman more. Either way I like them both, they'll be in my little collection.

Yeah they were going to do Magician's Nephew until the film rights ran out... I'm glad they're going to do Silver Chair instead. I like that one the most of the books!

message 36: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

They're both very good movies.

Silver Chair was my favorite too! I should check back on those movies, that's awesome news. I was sad thinking that they were over. (Maybe there's still a chance for Orlando Bloom to play Prince Rilian...)

message 37: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments The Mighty Katara wrote: "They're both very good movies.

Silver Chair was my favorite too! I should check back on those movies, that's awesome news. I was sad thinking that they were over. (Maybe there's still a chance fo..."

Ugh not Orlando Bloom as Rilian. He might be able to do the spoiled prince part but I really don't like him as much as other people do... He's not a strong stand alone actor.

Mat Damon and Russell Crowe are stronger actors. I like them a lot more...

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments I think of all the CoN, I read Silver Chair the most :)

message 39: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

I like Russell Crowe as an actor better too, but I just think Orlando Bloom would be an excellent Rilian. He's kind of quiet but strong at the same time. But that's fine if you don't like him... my sister doesn't like him, proving that we have almost nothing in common :)

message 40: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments The Mighty Katara wrote: "I like Russell Crowe as an actor better too, but I just think Orlando Bloom would be an excellent Rilian. He's kind of quiet but strong at the same time. But that's fine if you don't like him... my..."

Well I guess he could do Rilian but even if I like some movies he's been in I'm not a fan. He comes across too 'pretty boy'. Not a fan of those types...

message 41: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

I'm not a huge fan of the pretty boy actor type either, but I do love Orlando Bloom in a lot of the movies he's in. He's a good actor, and he's very good-looking so it does help him for me lol.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (Taggerung) | 142 comments Haha, no lie, Orlando Bloom is good looking

message 43: by The Mighty Katara, Don't EVER call me Inquisitor Hobo (new)

True that :)

message 44: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments I just heard that Lucusfilm was bought by Disney so Star Wars 7,8 and 9 are going to be released in the future...

I kind of hope that the movies are good enough to make me like them as a Star Wars fan, but part of me is going 'why do you have to try and potentially ruin my childhood?'

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "As for Princess Bride, have neither seen nor read it...I know I know, epic fail."

It's not that great in my opinion.

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 31, 2012 04:38AM) (new)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "Haha, no lie, Orlando Bloom is good looking"

He is, mostly. :)

message 47: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Emily wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "As for Princess Bride, have neither seen nor read it...I know I know, epic fail."

It's not that great in my opinion."

Okay so first you dislike Princess Bride and then you go and support the Orlando Bloom 'lovers'. We can't be friends anymore :p

I'm kidding but yeah looks like we have opposing views on those. But hey as I always say: if you have all the same thoughts as someone else then that's not necessarily a good thing. Some difference is good. (Well I don't always say that, I just said it now, but I say something like that :p)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Okay so first you dislike Princess Bride and then you go and support the Orlando Bloom 'lovers'. We can't be friends anymore :p

I'm kidding but yeah looks like we have opposing views on those. But hey as I always say: if you have all the same thoughts as someone else then that's not necessarily a good thing. Some difference is good. (Well I don't always say that, I just said it now, but I say something like that :p) "

I just thought that the Princess Bride was too, uh (pun intended>> )
description
and the blonde guy who said "as you wish" a lot irked me.

Besides, have you seen Bloom in Lord of the Rings? How can you not like him ;)

Difference and diversity is very important to society. :) I think, anyway.

message 49: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Emily wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Okay so first you dislike Princess Bride and then you go and support the Orlando Bloom 'lovers'. We can't be friends anymore :p

I'm kidding but yeah looks like we have opposing vi..."

Yeah I like him in 'Rings but he annoys me in other things. He's always playing such a soft type of pretty boy... So you've seen 'Rings then, last I heard I thought you hadn't?

Yeah, well I like Princess Bride because it makes fun of typical fairytale and fantasy ideas. That's what makes it funny to me. So many fantasy and fairytale stories throw in those unbelievable elements in what they think are believable ways...

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 31, 2012 04:55AM) (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Emily wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Okay so first you dislike Princess Bride and then you go and support the Orlando Bloom 'lovers'. We can't be friends anymore :p

I'm kidding but yeah looks like we ha..."

No no, I have seen Lord of the Rings just not all of the third one.

:( maybe it was better than I am giving it credit for, but we studied it at school and I didn't much like that so.... yeah.

« previous 1 3 4