The Writers' Association discussion

A Writer's Life > How do you write?

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucinda (last edited Oct 16, 2012 02:46AM) (new)

Lucinda How do you like to write?
Pen & Paper or on a computer? Do you use specific computer softwear or are you happy writing in Open Office, Microsoft word ect. (basically a blank document)?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Michael Cargill Cargill (MichaelCargill) I wouldn't be able to survive with pen and paper, it aches my hand to write more than just a few lines.

Computer ftw

message 3: by Valencia (new)

Valencia Cain (IziCain) | 10 comments I write on the computer, Microsoft Word, i use Courier New text, size 12. I leave two spaces at the top of every page, so that i can make notes that i can look back on, maybe if i feel i have done something wrong and need to check back.
I am happy writing like that, pen and paper tend to ache my hand and people these days want to go the neater way :)

message 4: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Michael wrote: "I wouldn't be able to survive with pen and paper, it aches my hand to write more than just a few lines.

Computer ftw"

Hi Michael! I agree with you that i could not write my entire piece on paper, as my arm would probably drop off. I handwrite letters to friends and that is as much as i can write on paper. The computer holds the main bulk of my writing, whilst notebooks contain plans and ideas.

message 5: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments I alway carry a notebook about with me, just in case. But I prefer to write on the computer becuase I don't understand my own handwriting! I know, pathetic!

message 6: by Valencia (new)

Valencia Cain (IziCain) | 10 comments Eva wrote: "I alway carry a notebook about with me, just in case. But I prefer to write on the computer becuase I don't understand my own handwriting! I know, pathetic!"

I was like that when i started writing, but now that i have got very used to it, its like a huge part of my life, just like eating and sleeping. I hope you get used to it too, Eva :) Good luck!

message 7: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda I had handwriting lessons at primary school (when i was aged 11), so for years i have always been told what 'neat handwriting' i have. That is all fine, but it would also be nice to recieve similar comments in regards to the content of my writing too!! :)

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments I used to have pretty handwriting but after woring in a bank and writing notes, etc all the time it became a scrowl, the same happen to my signature.

message 9: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 20 comments Mod
I write on Microsoft Word as well, but I have a mess of papers covered in hardly legible notes and faded drawings of things from my stories cluttering my desk at all times. I have innumerable folders on my computer and a half-filled notebook of neater notes, but I usually fall back on those disordered papers whenever I need something important--I'm not sure why.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Microsoft Word is my favorite to use but I also have about a gazillion notebooks filled with exceedingly random things such as "Elizabeth + Darcy = Fangirl" and other nonsense. I can hardly read my own handwriting, which is mostly done at midnight in an untidy scrawl.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I adore Elizabeth and Darcy. The thought of having to marry a boy on this earth who isn't a literary character such as Darcy or Percy Jackson I may have to jump out the nearest window.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

*gasp of horror* YOU DON'T CRUSH ON BOOK CHARACTERS?!?!?!?! *shun*

Just kidding, but apparently you've been reading the wrong books. Talk to Booknut. *mystical, Professor Trelawney voice* She'll explain everything about the fangirling world.

message 13: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "*gasp of horror* YOU DON'T CRUSH ON BOOK CHARACTERS?!?!?!?! *shun*

Just kidding, but apparently you've been reading the wrong books. Talk to Booknut. *mystical, Professor Trelawney voice* She'll e..."

I have to agree with Cat completely! :)

message 14: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Alexis wrote: "(And I do fangirl over characters I love. A lot. Percy is one of them, despite my complete lack of a crush.)"

I do too. Draco Malfoy is one of them...i could go on! :)

message 15: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Engelia wrote: "I am a total laptop girl. There are times that I use a pen and paper if a thought comes to me suddenly. Other than that, when an idea hits I rush to my computer."

I certainly do write quicker on my computer than i do by hand. This is one of the main advantages i think for writing the majority/ bulk of your work on the laptop.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, computers definitely help get the idea out faster before it disappears into a puff of smoke.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

That would be TERRIBLE!
I would be so annoyed... probably throw the computer across the room and be mad for the next eigteen thousand years.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't even like to think about some of my past work. I mean, I wrote this when I was eight:

(view spoiler)

That's just terrible.

message 19: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda You wrote that Cat when you were 8?! When i was that age i don't think i really wrote anything (i know, terrible). It was not until i was about 11/ 12 yrs old that i became interested in reading and then writing. My memory is so poor i am not sure if i can remember a great deal about when i was very young.

message 20: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda When i look back at my school work and the homework that i used to write, i cannot decide whether to shudder or laugh! It was quite different.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Alexis.

My mom took videos of me dancing when I was younger... *shudders*

If those turn up at my high school graduation so help me I will smash everything within sight into the floor.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

My mother probably will do it, just for kicks. I would be so mad.
Well, I obviously have no boyfriends (I've got about 9 years before I need to even THINK about that) so she can't show those to them, and seriously, I wouldn't care. If the guy actually loved me, we'd both laugh about it in a nice way and then never talk about it again.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm actually 10. Believe it or not. And no, my name isn't Ripley.

Got that right.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I dunno if that is a compliment or an insult, but thanks. I'm eleven now though! My birthday was yesterday.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks!

message 26: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) Computer.

message 27: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments I feel like a right granny! I'm 29, married with kids and I only started writing 2 years ago. I read confessions of a shopoholic and thought I could do a better job, still trying to prove it.
Ive noticed as well that everyone writes fantasy, I wonder why. I tried writing paranormal romance and completly failed, so now sticking to what I know. Chick lit.
Ps, Lucinda I'm reading The house at Riverton by Kate Morton and her writing style reminds a lot to your one.

message 28: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) I just love coming up with a whole new world with magic. I would think it's hard to write realistic fiction, to make ordinary life interesting.

message 29: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments I find ordinary life can be really funny!

message 30: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) I've just always been obsessed with magic.

message 31: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Eva wrote: "I feel like a right granny! I'm 29, married with kids and I only started writing 2 years ago. I read confessions of a shopoholic and thought I could do a better job, still trying to prove it.
Ive ..."

Really! I am taking that as a compliment, thank you.

In what way do you see similarites between her writing style and mine?

message 32: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments Lucinda wrote: "Eva wrote: "I feel like a right granny! I'm 29, married with kids and I only started writing 2 years ago. I read confessions of a shopoholic and thought I could do a better job, still trying to pro..."

it is a compliment, I think it's maybe the way she described things and places and the dialog...I don't know how to explain it, but if you are looking for inspiration you should read one of hers...

message 33: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Eva wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "Eva wrote: "I feel like a right granny! I'm 29, married with kids and I only started writing 2 years ago. I read confessions of a shopoholic and thought I could do a better job, sti..."

Thank you Eva.

I looked up the book in question on amazon and read a few pages of the opening, and i must now say that i am delighted by your comments. I do like to use detailed descriptions when envisaging the surroundings, trying to bring it to 'life' visually in ones mind.

x

message 34: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments Lucinda wrote: "Eva wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "Eva wrote: "I feel like a right granny! I'm 29, married with kids and I only started writing 2 years ago. I read confessions of a shopoholic and thought I could do a bet..."

how are you getting on with nanowrimo?

message 35: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Eva wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "Eva wrote: "Lucinda wrote: "Eva wrote: "I feel like a right granny! I'm 29, married with kids and I only started writing 2 years ago. I read confessions of a shopoholic and thought ..."

Well...where do i begin?! It has certainly been a rollercoaster of a ride, and we are only halfway in.

Day 1 was dreadful and then after that my writing picked up and i was able to stick to the schedule and write every day. The amount of words i wrote a day began at 1,000 and now is around 2,000+

However, just as everything seems to be going really well the other afternoon we had a faulty washingmachine & it cut out all of our electricity in the entire house. By midnight a workman had switched us back on (although now we have no machine working), and so i was able to check the computer. Amazingly the computer is fine and my novel is safe, but i was unable to write more than a few hundred words.

I am now catching up and hope to be able to reach the end target of 50,000 words by the 30th. As long as i keep focused and no other drama's unfold then fingers crossed i might have the first part of a novel draft. (I say first half of a novel because mine is rather long, and is going to be quite a chunky book!).

I have made it to 100 pages of words...so i am keeping smiling. :) It is still hard and the deeper you get into the plot, the more complex it becomes.

How are you doing? x

message 36: by Eva (new)

Eva King | 41 comments well. I've given up. I can't sit down and write that much every day and to me the stress wasn't worth it. I just couldn't catch up the first few days dissaster. so gave up. Now i have other things on the go, publishing a xmas anthology in aid of Barnardo's and still writing. I have what I wrote of my novel in my writing if you fancy having a look. It's chick lit, si will understand if you don't feel like it.

message 37: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Eva wrote: "well. I've given up. I can't sit down and write that much every day and to me the stress wasn't worth it. I just couldn't catch up the first few days dissaster. so gave up. Now i have other things ..."

That is a shame but i will admit to being extremely stressed myself at the moment, so it is very tough. I love chick-lit so i would be more than happy to read your work!! That is great though that you are still writing and i would like to wish you all the best x

message 38: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) I'm doing NaNo, but the young writer's program.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not doing NaNo, but hat's off to those that do! I just am not good with working on a deadline.

message 40: by Kggelen (new)

Kggelen Awesomeness (Katie77777) I need a deadline, or I won't get anything done.

message 41: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Kggelen wrote: "I need a deadline, or I won't get anything done."

same!

message 42: by Lightwood (new)

Lightwood I find that both are helpful and effective

message 43: by Jae (new)

Jae | 3 comments Definitely pen and paper for me. Yes my hand hurts if I write for too long, but I love it for the simple fact that it shows I am actually doing something worth my time. That I am making progress, rather than just sitting around staring off into wonderland. Also, its easier for me to see what it is that I have already written so far. Its right there at my fingertips and easy to correct anything that I consider wrong.