Du Gata Vrangr discussion

13 views
Hello! > Plagiarism

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Did he Plagirize? What do you think? Where do we croos the line from influesnce and inspirations to down right copying? Something I ask myself when I write all the time.


message 2: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 154 comments I agree. He put his own spin on everything or almost everything he wrote, and most true fantasy takes things from Tolkien. Some authors (Terry Brooks and M.L. Forman, for instance) go too far, but I don't think Paolini did. Not yet, anyway.


message 3: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Okay, you see I am on the ropes on this. I love the stories very much but I can't help noticing the similarities.
It is a good point that every author takes some idea from somewhere, if not then it has been thought of by someone else somewhere.
Here is some of the similarities:

Eragon=Aragorn
Both go to a home of the Elves to train. Aragorn to Rivendele, Eragon to Dû Weldenvarden.

Ra'zac=Nazgûl both ride flying beasts, both have hissy breath, both have faces you can’t really see, both wear black.

Brom=Gandalf
Both old men, both have staffs, both have greater strength then there companions know. Both die (even though Gandalf comes back).

Murtagh=Boramir
They're companions both think they’re good at first.

Tronjheim=Mori
Both great cites of the dwarves, both underground.

Urgals=Orces
Besides the change in name, they sure act and look the same.

Arwen=Arya
The romance between Aragorn and Arwen and then the romance between Eregon and Arya. Both a man and elf romance. Both have one person who doesn't want to marry for some reason, Aragorn doesn't want to marry Arwen because he doesn't want her to become mortal. Arya doesn't want to marry Eragon because she thinks shes too old and an elf.


Then again his names, his on the left, J.R.R Tolkien on the right:
Imiladris>Imladris
Vanilor>Valinor
Ardwen>Arwen
Ceranthor>Caranthir
Bierland>Beleriand
Narda>Varda
Isenstar>Isengaurd
Melian>Melian
Mithrim>Mithrim
Isidar>Isildur
Turin>Tûrin
Eragon>Aragorn (comparison in pronunciation)
EHR-uh-gone>HER-uh-gorn

So there you go. What do you think?


message 4: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Then I could go the Star Wars if you like.
And I was hoping you guys wouldn't hate me for making this thread.


message 5: by Isabella (last edited Oct 16, 2012 01:52PM) (new)

Isabella | 154 comments Cole wrote: "Then I could go the Star Wars if you like.
And I was hoping you guys wouldn't hate me for making this thread."


Hate you? It was a good idea! You have a LOT of points there, Cole; I'd even forgotten about some of them! I thought most of the Star Wars similarities were in the movie, but maybe I'm just forgetting them too?


message 6: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 154 comments Alexis wrote: "Oh, no, your points are all valid. Paolini worships Tolkien very obviously. (Hate you? For a valid thread? What a ridiculous idea!)

Eragon is also "Dragon" with an E.
And I'm sorry, but I disagree..."


You should really stop loving these characters, Lex, you're just dooming them! How many is that now? Twenty? Thirty?


message 7: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Alexis wrote: "Oh, no, your points are all valid. Paolini worships Tolkien very obviously. (Hate you? For a valid thread? What a ridiculous idea!)

Eragon is also "Dragon" with an E.
And I'm sorry, but I disagree..."


Hahaha! They just keep die, huh?
Anyway, that is what I meant. They didn't really go evil, they were coerced into doing evil things.
I will agree that they had very different personalities.


message 8: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Alexis wrote: "More like a hundred."

That many?....


message 9: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Cassandra wrote: "Cole wrote: "Then I could go the Star Wars if you like.
And I was hoping you guys wouldn't hate me for making this thread."

Hate you? It was a good idea! You have a LOT of points there, Cole; I'd ..."


Okay, well glad you guys have reasonable minds and not ones that hate me. :)


message 10: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Alexis wrote: "Who hates you? You're being perfectly fair and reasonable--and I love Inheritance as much as anybody.

I want to beat them up.

Yes, that many. I read a LOT of books, and pretty much every book ha..."


No one hates me as far as I know.
Beat who up?


message 11: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Oh, got it.


message 12: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Do you want to put up the Star Wars similarities?


message 13: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments You go ahead if the is okay? I think you know more about this than I do.


message 14: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 154 comments Ah! I don't look at this thread for a few minutes, and the conversation runs off without me! I can't wait to see the Star Wars similarities! There can't be as many as with Tolkien, though, right?


message 15: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Good start. :)
To answer your question Bella, I am not sure which as more similarities. What do you think Alexis? I money is on Tolkien.


message 16: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Agreed


message 17: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 21, 2012 01:26PM) (new)

Stephanie Fischer (stephaniefisch) | 16 comments Alexis wrote: "Yeah, definitely Tolkien. He did take TONS from Tolkien in the books, and only the baseline of Star Wars which, let's face it, wasn't that original anyway. The Eragon movie IS Star Wars Jr., but th..."

I've never read any of Tolkien's books (a sin, I know), but you're right. From every argument I've heard, LoTR seems to take the cake for the most similarities to Eragon. Star Wars, I concur, is definitely unoriginal (a pet peeve of mine). Therefore, it doesn't bother me as much as it probably would if I'd read Tolkien.


message 18: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments But Tolkien is a classic, everyone takes from the classics.


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

There is quite a lot that Paolini takes from Tolkien, but it definitely doesn't hit the plagiarism mark. Tolkien is sort of in a league of his own - there will never be another Lord of the Rings. But I thought Paolini did a good job of inducing his own creativity into it while still being classic.
I might be a bit biased though, because I ADORE Inheritance Cycle.


message 20: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments I agree, I don't think it is quite plagiarism. It is just that Tolkien is the father of epic fantasy.


back to top