"REHAB" discussion

TV Shows > Doctor Who - And as someone would say, "Spoilers."

Comments (showing 1-50 of 163) (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

anilee (anileesghost) | 780 comments Mod
Here you are, Way-chan. No spoilers.

Sia, you and I can just continue on in "Other", okay?

message 2: by Ingrid, Staal The Not-Quite-So-Undefeated-Any-More-But-Never-Mind (new)

Ingrid | 1854 comments Mod
Yay! A thread for me (and the Doctor, but hey!)

I'm just going to move what I said in my last post (NaNoWriMo thread over here.)

Can I just say in "The Girl in the Fireplace," I came to a whole new level of respect for the (tenth?) Doctor. He went back to France, even believing that he won't be able to return. After the death of Lynette and he comes back to the TARDIS Rose asks him if he's alright and he says "I'm always fine." He obviously isn't, but it's more obvious with him than with the previous Doctor.

Actually, I think with David Tennant, they really are trying to highlight the loneliness of the Doctor. There's Sarah Jane, Lynette, Rose (of course,) and probably more. He's very lonely, as Lynette points out. I think he's may be more emotional than the last one.

message 3: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (last edited Oct 17, 2012 09:34AM) (new)

Yes. And then Kly will probably get her own thread when she starts watching 'cause this show is best unspoiled.

"Isn't travelling with you one big spoiler?"

Reinette, you mean?

"You're not keeping the horse."
"I let you keep Mickey!"
Besides, the man was abusing the horse! (No, seriously, it's in a deleted scene.)

David Tennant's the Tenth Doctor, yeah. Nine is still pretty scarred from the Time War and everything; he acts a lot more like a casual observer because I think it's still painful for him to really connect to things the way that Ten does, you know?

Moffat wrote some fantastic episodes in RTD's era, that's for sure.

message 4: by Ingrid, Staal The Not-Quite-So-Undefeated-Any-More-But-Never-Mind (new)

Ah, Reinette, yes. Her.

I see what you're saying about the ninth. He really doesn't let himself get attached or connect to the things, whereas the Tenth Doctor seems very invested in anything. He feels things deeply, I think.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does RTD stand for?

message 5: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Russell T Davies. Showrunner for the first four series. Steven Moffat is the showrunner for series 5-present. I'm more of an RTD fan; aspects of Moffat's series annoys me.

I think that Nine does care; he pretends that he doesn't. I mean, "Dalek"? It's not light on the emotion. (I just watched that episode; I love the Daleks so much.) Ten doesn't pretend. Ten feels, and he embraces those feelings.

message 6: by Ingrid, Staal The Not-Quite-So-Undefeated-Any-More-But-Never-Mind (new)

Ah. Doesn't Steven Moffat write some of the episodes in the first four series though? I seem to remember seeing his name in the credits a few times.

That is a more accurate description. Certain episodes do show that he cares, but the Tenth is so much more vocal and obvious about his emotions. I think that's probably why I like him so much more.

message 7: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Yes. Moffat wrote episodes in the first four series. He wrote "The Girl in the Fireplace", for example. Also, "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" in series 1. He wrote series 3's "Blink" and series 4's "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead".

I do like Nine a lot. Like, Ten's my favourite, without a doubt, but I do think that Nine was the right way to start the revival. Like, you need to meet that pseudo-carefree Doctor before you get deal with the emotional intensity of Ten's episodes.

message 8: by Ingrid, Staal The Not-Quite-So-Undefeated-Any-More-But-Never-Mind (last edited Oct 16, 2012 01:01PM) (new)

Nyka, nyka! I finished "The Age of Steel," and I have to say, the ending was perfect! Mickey staying behind was so well done. I mean, we all knew that he had to leave so it was just Rose and the Doctor, but they really showed a sign of him that they hadn't shown before.

At first, he's definitely the third wheel, or tin dog, or whatever. He's a bit of an annoying character, but they really improved his character in the Cybermen/Age of Steel episodes. He went from being the Tin Dog, to saving the rest of them, which was good. They showed his potential, and then they left him there, which was perfect for him. The parallel universe was just the place for him and I think he'll thrive there.

So, yeah, I highly approved of that episode and may have even teared up the tiniest bit when they were saying their goodbyes. Because, I like Mickey now. Way to go, bud.

message 9: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

There's nothing wrong with being the tin dog; K9 is a useful pet.

I dislike the way Rose treats Mickey more than I dislike Mickey. Rose shouldn't have held onto him the way that she did, not when she was never going to stay with him. But yeah, they did a good job of showing that Mickey really is capable. And really, it's probably hard for him, being left behind. And it's not so much that he wants to travel time and space as it's just hard being the one left behind because Rose is changing and he just can't keep up.

If "The Age of Steel" makes you tear up...just you wait...

message 10: by Ingrid, Staal The Not-Quite-So-Undefeated-Any-More-But-Never-Mind (new)

K9 was useful. And adorable, because animals made of tin definitely have the adorable factor.

I noticed that as well. It seemed very selfish of Rose to hold on to him. I mean, after traveling with the Doctor, she would never be the same, and Mickey would never really live up to anything that she had encountered. I think she realized that from the first episode.
And I think it took Mickey a little while to figure it out, but when it did, it hit him pretty hard. You could see that he was thinking it over and pondering it for the past three episodes that I just watched. I'm just really glad that Davies and Moffat decided to let him live up to his potential. That made me very pleased indeed.

Oh dear...

message 11: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

I think that I just like K9 because it's always "affirmative".

"Thanks."
"For what?"
"Exactly."

Isn't that the conversation before she runs off to the TARDIS?

I think that Mickey wanted to see some of the universe and just to see that maybe, just maybe, Rose would stay with him if he travelled too. Because maybe it's not the Doctor; maybe it's just the TARDIS. But travelling with them...Mickey kind of got to see that he was...kind of unwanted. It wasn't that they disliked him, but I think Mickey realised that Rose and the Doctor were too close for him to continue on. The parallel universe gave him a place where he was needed.

Sorry, but it's true. You don't think it can ever be that emotionally terrible...It is.

message 12: by Ingrid, Staal The Not-Quite-So-Undefeated-Any-More-But-Never-Mind (new)

That's the conversation! I was thinking about it while writing, but didn't write it down.

Very true, his "grandmother" needed him, the whole world needed him, and the little group that Ricky started. And, yeah, he wasn't really wanted... I always felt a little sorry for him.

Sometimes I wonder if the Doctor and Rose are too close. I mean, she will have to age and die at some point, and we all know how the Doctor hates seeing that (Sarah Jane in "The School Reunion.") Knowing the Doctor, he's going to leave her someday, and that's probably going to break her.

message 13: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (last edited Oct 17, 2012 05:16AM) (new)

I figured. I can kind of quote the show pretty well now...

I know. Mickey's kind of awesome, given the chance. And to some extent, I think he's okay making a break with Rose, but Rose won't make the break with him. Rose is all, "I'm going to travel with the Doctor forever!" but she won't let Mickey go, so Mickey keeps hanging on because at least Rose is a tie to something so much bigger than he is, and he finally finds a way to do something important without Rose.

Ha. That's kind of what I just said to Sia in our all-caught-up discussion...There's more that I want to say, but I'm spoiler-marking it, if only because my interpretation is based upon the entirety of New Who, although I think that what I say can be gathered from the episodes of series 2 you've seen, so you're fine to read it. Also, spoiler-marked stuff is just fun.

(view spoiler)

Oh, and it's so funny how you point out the stuff about ageing/dying....

message 14: by Ingrid, Staal The Not-Quite-So-Undefeated-Any-More-But-Never-Mind (new)

You know, I'm not surprised about that fact at all.

That makes sense! That's exactly it! Rose healed number Nine and then Ten comes along already knowing her. I can't even imagine her not being there, though I know something is probably going to happen eventually to that effect. Ah, that makes so much sense and it makes me pleased when things makes sense. Thank you.

Funny? Wait, are you hinting towards things? Is Rose going to die? Are they going to kill her?

message 15: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (last edited Oct 17, 2012 08:28AM) (new)

That I can quote the show pretty well? Yeah...considering I watch it more than I should...

You're welcome, although I think you would have gotten there yourself pretty soon.

Well, actually, it's more because it makes me think of the Eleventh Doctor and lines from recent episodes and stuff.

Do you really think I'm going to answer those questions?

message 16: by Ingrid, Staal The Not-Quite-So-Undefeated-Any-More-But-Never-Mind (last edited Oct 19, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Well, seeing as how it seems to be the new Death Note in terms of how often you reference it... Yeah, not surprising at all.

I just love it when things make sense like that! I adore the fact that psychologically, the Doctors are different, yet their differences form each other to make them who they are and who they will be in the future. It excites me to no end!

No, no, I don't.

message 17: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Doctor Who tends to be easier to reference and quote. Probably because it's in English and I watch Death Note subbed usually.

And you haven't even met Eleven yet...which reminds me, I ought to reply to Sia; we're in the middle of a discussion about Eleven's character. Among other Doctor Who-related topics because who can talk about just one thing where this show is concerned?

And then it's also fun when you think about some episodes and how they would not work for a different incarnation of the Doctor or how things would totally go differently.

Oh, this show makes me happy.

message 18: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments It's ok, you don't need to rush to reply to me. I wont have time for a while to answer anything :)

How are you finding The Doctor, Way?

My friend who also started watching is already on 'Blink'. She made me watch it with her because I warned her it was scary. Great episode...
Where are you up to again?

message 19: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

I would have replied this weekend, Sia; I had this whole long list of things to do, and instead, I watched Torchwood.

"Blink" is not scary, although I don't think any of the episodes are particularly frightening....

I'm going to say that she's still not finished with the second series because even if she didn't have time for a real post, I'd still expect something, you know?

message 20: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Lol, of course.

I don't find it especially scary either, but I can see how someone who gets more scared of things might. And she freaked out from the Clockwork Men in the Fireplace episode...

True, true. We shall just have to wait then...

message 21: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

I regret nothing. Yet, anyway. I'm sure tonight, I'll wish I had been more productive, but I have a cold, okay? So I can't breathe properly. Who wants to be productive when you can't breathe properly?

I don't know what I consider the scariest....it'd probably be something more abstract...

Way, go watch more Doctor Who. I mean, don't you want to watch the Christmas special when it airs?

message 22: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (last edited Oct 28, 2012 06:48AM) (new)

Last night's The Big Bang Theory made me happy. Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect and the Doctor and a Dalek (although I would have gone with a Cyberman and a Dalek, personally) on Sheldon's list of possible couples costumes? Yes please.

ETA: Oh...(view spoiler) (It's TBBT, not Doctor Who.)

ETA: I just found out that they're releasing a boxed set of the first six series for Christmas. So it's cheaper than getting the series individually, and it has a sonic screwdriver.

Why do I already have the first four series on DVD? Why didn't I wait?

message 23: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Since the 'Other' thread has been taken over:

http://www.tasteofawesome.com/Funny/T...

lol. just lol

message 24: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

But it's Veronica Mars, so it's cool. Also, we can go back to Doctor Who at the end of the month. Obviously.

Where's "Delete?" Especially with dramatic pen motions. (Sorry, now I'm on Death Note. Great...now I just want to watch a psychopathic teenage genius kill people with a magic notebook in creative ways....

Last night, we got on the topic of immortality, and someone made the comment that you could live forever but be trapped, and I just wanted to say, "'The Family of Blood'," but that would have required informing my parents of my Whovian nature, even though my phone's lock screen is the TARDIS so...

message 25: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments I know, and I'm not saying anything.
But you did sort of ignore my Doctor Who post on the 'Other' thread, which is why I brought this here :)
I was going to see an episode of Veronica Mars yesterday, but I decided that I really cant afford to start another TV show right now ;)

I think they said 'Destroy' instead of 'Delete'. Or maybe I just cant remember who says 'Destroy'...

Lol. Would it be the end of the world if your parents knew?

message 26: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Ah, but I didn't ignore it. I did't answer it yet. Yesterday was our philosophy conference; posts that require more thought had to be pushed back to a better time.

Cybermen are "Delete". Otherwise, that shirt on ThinkGeek wouldn't make sense. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f228/

Possibly.

message 27: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Lol. Sorry then :)

Could Cybermen be two things?

message 28: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

I suppose, but "delete" is definitely their word.

message 29: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments I agree. But then who says 'Destroy'???

message 30: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Right now, I do not know/remember.

I'm going to guess that whoever made it put "Destroy" for the Cybermen because there's no way you could write a Doctor Who thing about villains and not include them.

message 31: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Exactly. That's what I thought...

message 32: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Ok, just rewatched 'Asylum of the Daleks' [don't know why, but I'm suddenly rewatching a lot] and I think I have a theory on Oswin.
The question is, was Clara always special, as in, was she always scattered around the universe for the Doctor to find? Or, did multiple Claras only begin AFTER Asylum of the Daleks? See, what I'm thinking is, Owsin managed to wipe out the Doctor from all the Dalek's memories. She managed to be a Dalek but remain human. I doubt there's anyone else like her. And then she said 'Run and remember'. What if, when she said those words, as a human dalek, what if something happened then, and that's what scattered around different versions of herself all over the universe? AS in, Oswin was only one, but when she said 'run and REMEMBER', that's what turned Clara into the person who constantly appears all over the place- isn't that the best remembrance?

message 33: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Oh, and lets not forget that Oswin was in complete control of a planet full of nanogenes which was about to explode. Knowingly or not, she could have totally scattered herself around the universe using the nanogenes or something.

Basically, I'm waiting to see if new Clara remembers Oswin AND old Clara's life, or just Oswin's life, and how many more Claras will be scattered in places where the Doctor goes [drawn to him or something]...

message 34: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

I'll think on that (and maybe do some rewatching?) and get back to you.

Someone posted another theory on tumblr, linking Clara to CAL. Not sure how I feel about that, though JLC and the girl who played CAL look a lot alike.

message 35: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments I read through the Clara theories on tumblr, and I really think mine makes most sense...

message 36: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Did you see the prologue for "The Bells of St John"?

It annoyed me. The Doctor talks to a young girl about looking for a lost friend. And what is the girl's name? You guessed right: Clara Oswald.

Is Moffat ever going to write a female companion who didn't meet the Doctor as a child?

message 37: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments No, going ot watch it now...

Really Moffat? Really? Why don't you just use the same plotlines over and over with different people?
Rory's plotline is 'guy that dies'. Clara's also seems to be 'girl that dies'.
Clara and Amy both seem to be similar versions of the same character. Some originality would be nice, thank you very much.

message 38: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Because a large enough part of the loyal fanbase doesn't care. I mean, I'm still going to watch. Aren't you?

Besides, I think I like Clara, so I'm willing to see how her character and story develops.

There better be a good reason why the Doctor had to meet a young Clara Oswald. I mean, I'm willing to accept his meeting Reinette when she was a child (especially because that was just one episode), and it worked fine for Amy (especially since what, more than a decade passed between "The Eleventh Hour" and "The Angels Take Manhattan"? So somehow it seems all right) but for Clara? As of now, it just doesn't make sense. Because it was a huge part of Amy's character, that she waited for the Doctor (which is kind of problematic, but whatever); if Clara remembers the strange man on the swings, it's going to be astonishing.

message 39: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Of course I am. But that doesn't mean I can't hope for better. He isn't going to get any new followers this way. And my friend who started watching Doctor Who stopped a few episodes into season five, and she was pretty hooked before.

The only thing that 'makes sense' is that, as he says, he keeps bumping into Clara, so this is him bumping into Clara, isn't it?

The Doctor doesn't meet Sally or Nancy when they are children.

message 40: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (last edited Mar 23, 2013 03:32PM) (new)

I'll probably celebrate the day Moffat moves on...

It is, except that this is probably the Clara we saw at the end of "The Snowmen", so...he did just bump into Clara, but now it's different because it's a young Clara who has now met the Doctor and will presumably meet him again when she's an adult.

No, but the Doctor doesn't invite Sally or Nancy to travel in the TARDIS. (He invites Rita to travel, but I don't think "The God Complex" is a Moffat episode.)

message 41: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Same. We should send I'm a pention or something.

I wonder if there are always multiple claras, or if one pops up every time the last one dies...

message 42: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

I don't think a petition would do anything, unfortunately.

Well...being that the Claras exist throughout time and space...it seems possible that there is only ever one Clara. However, since time is a ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...there might always be multiple Claras, if the past and future exist concurrently, you know?

message 43: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments It should though. Fans should have some control over the tv shows they like...

Well, if we go according to my theory, the Claras could pop up by the Doctor's timeline. He finishes meeting one, he meets the other. But with wibbly wobbly I guess there could technically be more than one at once...

message 44: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments I feel like we're as good as discussing Rose before seeing the fourth season- we don't know so many details, it's sort of silly to be guessing like this :)

message 45: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Although Doctor Who has such a large and rabid fanbase that I'm not sure it'd do much good. There are actually people who like Moffat's writing.

Are you asking me if I think there'll ever be two or more Claras in the same time and place? That I doubt.

message 46: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments I do like his writing- in single episodes. As the head writer he is horrible. That's the big problem.

We shall have to wait and see with Clara...

message 47: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

You know that one of the early ideas for Rose's character was to be the "perfect companion", groomed by the Doctor from childhood? Except that that it didn't happen, so point to RTD. If it were Moffat in charge, it probably would have happened, and then we'd all have to hate Rose/Doctor because of the creep factor.

Not that much longer to wait...

message 48: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments Groomed by who???
Though maybe that's where they got the idea of River from...

message 49: by anilee, "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion." (new)

Presumably by the Doctor, unless you know someone else who would be grooming a young girl to be the Doctor's perfect companion. I'm not sure anyone else had the time-travelling and alien access necessary for that.

message 50: by Siareen (new)

Siareen | 1620 comments But that is soooo not the Doctor. Especially not the 9th, who didn't really want a companion in the first place...

« previous 1 3 4