The English Patient The English Patient question

Movie better than the book?
John John Oct 15, 2012 01:31PM
The Godfather (Mario Puzo)

Jaws (Peter Benchley)

The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)

They cannot be compared. Michael ONaadtje's book are such that they dont have linear storytelling are more introspective, so they are hard to make into a movie but Minghella tried and succeeded in it. Both are a different entity. Movie has just taken some plot points and basic idea, but it is whole different thing. Actors make movie work, everyone of them have given there career best performances. Book is just brilliant thing to be read and experienced, you cannot understand it through movie, you have to get the feel of it by reading it.

F 25x33
Sprout117 I couldn't agree more...well said, very well said!
May 31, 2014 11:45AM

I like both for different reasons: the book is an intriguing experience and it's brilliantly poetic an introspective--Ondaatje's use of language alone is enough for me to read the book. As for the film: it's brilliant, also. It stands alongside the book in interesting ways. If I had to pick which I prefer...well...that's hard to say, but since I generally favor books over movies, I guess I'd say the book...by virtue of that.

I read the book and saw the movie and I thought the movie was actually better. You megafans will hate me, but every time Ondaatje's characters talked, I couldnt help but giggle and roll my eyes.

way... way better! hated the book, loved the movie

The book is a brilliant work of poetry that speaks in breathtaking concepts. What Minghella did with it is nothing short of brilliant and SO deserved the academy award. I enjoy both. But I watch the movie over and over again.

Chris Gager never better? how about The DaVinci Code?
Jan 18, 2015 11:14AM

Simple and short answer: No, The English Patient film is not better than the book.
It's different in the same way Alan Moore's Watchmen is different from the movie in that both movies aim to tell the surface-level story and do it well but the movies fail to translate all the literary greatness of both works. Maybe not fail, because they don't try but you know.............

Movies are NEVER better than books. :)