Brain Pain discussion

Welcome! > Poll Question #1 - Should we stay or should we go now?

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
Poll Question #1 - Should we stay or should we go now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBPu...

As we approach the end of 2012 and work our way through Infinite Jest, we will have finished the list of difficult books we set out to read. Should we end on a high note? Or should we continue on into 2013?

If you like the Brain Pain group and think we should continue the project, then vote “Yes, let’s continue!”

If you liked (or disliked) the group and would like to move on to other reading groups, then please vote “No, the party’s over”

Please share your honest opinion! Your vote will remain anonymous

message 2: by Monicac (new)

Monicac | 3 comments I would really like to continue on in 2013. While I haven't participated in discussions yet, I will change that in 2013, as I will have more time to devote to reading by then. I have faithfully read the commentary on the two books that I had planned to read for this group (Helen in Egypt and Gravity's Rainbow), and I plan to finish those by the end of 2012. Yeah, I'm really behind ... life just got in the way for a bit - but this would be a priority for me in 2013, if we do indeed continue!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
Monicac wrote: "I would really like to continue on in 2013. While I haven't participated in discussions yet, I will change that in 2013, as I will have more time to devote to reading by then. I have faithfully rea..."

Thank you Monica! Ultimately, what's important is that members have a chance to read some great books. There is no requirement to comment on the discussions, but we always want to hear from you when the spirit moves you. So far in the polls, there is great support to continue in 2013, so I'm sure we'll do that!

message 4: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Smith (CheshirePanda) | 4 comments OH please please please please PLEASE let us keep this group going! Again, I'm another of those "Do not post much" types, but this is the best book group I've even been a part of!! These are the kind of books I devour, but can never find without some guidance. Thanks so much!!!

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
Caleb wrote: "OH please please please please PLEASE let us keep this group going! Again, I'm another of those "Do not post much" types, but this is the best book group I've even been a part of!! These are the k..."

Don't worry Caleb! I'm not planning on ending the group - just checking in to make sure there's enough support to justify the effort for 2013.

Here's a video that should help everyone Relax (rockin' live version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64T-...

message 6: by Ali (new)

Ali | 9 comments Yeah, I think we're here to stay. Out of the fifty votes this pole has gotten so far, all but one have voted to keep the group going.

message 7: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 252 comments This is the group I am most active in, as regards to the reading. I love the contributions people make.

message 8: by Marian (new)

Marian (Marianese) | 5 comments I only recently discovered the group, so I certainly have not had enough of it, and would love for it to continue!

message 9: by Marian (new)

Marian (Marianese) | 5 comments p.s. I am not sure where to vote . . . I think it must not be in the comments but my brain must be in pain or debility, preventing me from finding the proper polling place.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
Marian wrote: "p.s. I am not sure where to vote . . . I think it must not be in the comments but my brain must be in pain or debility, preventing me from finding the proper polling place."

Hi Marian!

Look in the upper right corner of this page where you'll see "Group Home", "Events", etc. Click on "Polls" and you'll find the two questions.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 249 comments Let's keep going!!! There are PLENTY MORE difficult books to read!!!

I'm not as active as I'd like to be, due to an absolutely insane work schedule AND the fact that I try to juggle more books at a time than I really have time for, but I've been involved in a handful of discussions here, and I'd love to continue.

As of late I've really just been active here and in two or threee other groups, so as long as I don't make too many "reading commitments" at the same time, I'll be able to stay involved with this group and a couple others that are good.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Stay! I just joined.

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 326 comments Stay! I've also been crazy busy the last few months and failed to participate as much as I'd hoped, but I plan to be back for at least some of the reads. Plus I need to know Brain Pain exists - leave and I may have to self-immolate in a pile of Twilight books soaked in gasoline.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
Whitney wrote: "Stay! I've also been crazy busy the last few months and failed to participate as much as I'd hoped, but I plan to be back for at least some of the reads. Plus I need to know Brain Pain exists - lea..."

Maybe you could light the pyre with a Dan Brown or something equally inflammatory....

Yes, you can count on BP continuing. I thought it best to at least pose the question since with IJ, we complete the main books we set out to read. I enjoy this group very much, but wanted to make sure the members found it valuable too - and I think the polls and member responses say it's worth it!!!

message 15: by Nick (last edited Oct 20, 2012 04:15PM) (new)

Nick Craske (nick_craske) | 8 comments Please do continue this fine discerning book reading group.

I've only just stumbled upon it; only just begun to discover and unravel the treats of utilsing Goodreads optimally.

I'm very much looking forward to participating and revelling in 'hellaciously' great writing and discussions'n dialog.

The thought of missing out leaves me with 'the howling fantods'.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3032 comments Mod
Nick wrote: "Please do continue this fine discerning book reading group.

I've only just stumbled upon it; only just begun to discover and unravel the treats of utilsing Goodreads optimally.

I'm very much looking forward to participating and revelling in 'hellaciously' great writing and discussions'n dialog.

The thought of missing out leaves me with 'the howling fantods'. "

Welcome aboard Nick!

Dive right in to the Infinite Jest discussion if you have the time. We've also got a side discussion going about Hamlet and IJ.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick Craske (nick_craske) | 8 comments Thank-you-thank-you Jim. Fossicking through the Hamlet and Infinte Jest thread/s now. Spectacular.

'Gettin' thyself to the funnery'

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda (Lapia) | 46 comments I vote yes. Keep it going.