Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Childhood reading habits

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart I was just thinking about my reading habits as a child and teenager and wonder what others experienced. When I was 3 and 4 years old I remember pretending to read books. I would sit with a book and turn pages and say outloud what I thought the book should say.
Once I got to 3rd grade I had a teacher that would read to us everyday after lunch. The first book I ever remember reading was Ramona Quimby Age 8 by Beverly Cleary. My teacher had started reading it to us and I just couldn't wait to hear the end of the story so I begged my mom to buy it for me.
Later in elementary school I read a lot of Sweet Vally Twins/High books. By the time I was in middle school I moved on to adult books such as Danielle Steel (who I can't stand now) and Stephen King.
The funny thing is I read more YA book now that I am an adult than I did when I was an actual YA.
What books did you read when you were a kid/teen, and what got you into reading as a child?

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) When I was very young my Gran used to buy me a ton of books but I can't remember any of them. They where very easy reads about cute animals and all sorts.

I also remember reading Heidi.

My first proper books that I remember reading where the Harry Potter series (I'm sure that'll be a popular answer) and the Catherine Applegate series 'Making out' which was a definite YA drama type thing.

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I don't remember the first book I ever read, but I do know that I loved to read even when I was a kid. When I was little, I loved the Little House books. I also loved the Borrowers. When I got into my teens, I loved V. C. andrews books. Then there's harry Potter. I loved Harry Potter, and I still think it's one of the best series ever written. I also read the Lord of the Rings as a teen, and loved those too, but it's the only epic fantasy series I've ever read, since now that I'm older, I've gotten into habits like not reading books with tons of PoV's.

I also read more YA than I did as a teen, since I read a lot of adult things when I was a teenager, too.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Tempted By Books (michelletemptedbybooks) | 191 comments For me it was Little House on the Prairie, then Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High and Christopher Pike.

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) Borrowers! Forgot about that! I read that too as a child.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The first books I loved were Little House books. To this day I prefer series.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 118 comments I remember LOVING the book fair in school. It was always so exciting and I'd spend a lot of time in their choosing. I loved VC Andrews too and I had those books where if you opened the covers they had an artwork flap inside. I remember I would "wash" my books with a washrag to try and keep them shiny but accidentally ruined Dawns face doing this on "Dawn" so stopped lol

I remember I was really young and in my closet playing "library". My mother opened the door and told me I needed to go to bed. I looked up at her real seriously and said I couldn't, I was busy right now doing Library. Then I went back to ignoring her and messing with the books. She thought it was so cute she left and let me stay up longer lol

message 8: by Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (last edited Oct 15, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (MLPMomBookReviewer) | 837 comments In the first grade my teacher use to read Shell Silverstein's stories/poems to us every day and I just loved them.

In third grade my teacher (also awesome) read us Ronald Dahl books. I think she got through Charlie and The Chocoloate Factory, Matilda and James and the Giant Peach before the year was over. I loved every single one of them.

That was also the year I discovered the Babysitters Club Series and devoured them all one summer. I have been reading ever since!!

I loved The Velveteen Rabbit when I was younger and had the book and tape and would listen to it almost every night before bed, I usually fell asleep listening to it at night. I think I have always loved being read to and that caused later in life, a deep love of books.

I was lucky and my parents read to us a lot as kids.

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart Oh!!!! I forgot about Little House on the Prarie!!!! I liked those books too!

message 10: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments Lol Erin. Cute stories. :D.

message 11: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments Oh, I love Matilda. I remember reading all three of those Roald Dahl books as a kid.

message 12: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Oct 15, 2012 11:40AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi My favorite books were Anastasia Krupnik books, Sweet Valley Twins books and Nancy Drew books.

My 3yr old loves Llama Llama Red Pajama series; Polar Bear Polar Bear; Brown Bear Brown Bear etc.
We know get the books with CD from library, so instead of listening to music, we listen to the books. It helps my 5 year old read along in the car and my 3 yr old tries to follow in his copy. The only bad thing is that I have to check out 2 of the same book for every book.
Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney Llama Llama Home with Mama by Anna Dewdney Llama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna Dewdney Llama Llama Holiday Drama by Anna Dewdney Llama Llama Time to Share by Anna Dewdney

Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1) by Lois Lowry Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2) by Lois Lowry

Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

My kids current favorites
The Crayon Box that Talked by Shane Derolf Tickly Octopus by Ruth Galloway Back To Bed, Ed by Sebastien Braun

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (MLPMomBookReviewer) | 837 comments Brianna wrote: "Oh, I love Matilda. I remember reading all three of those Roald Dahl books as a kid."

I know! It is crazy to think now that a lot of his books have been banned when I loved them so much when I was younger.

message 14: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) Damn I love Roald Dahl! I read his too. I still love him and re-read his books frequently.

message 15: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments Oh, I remember reading Anastasia Krupnik. And I loved Heidi.

Man, you guys are making me want to reread books I haven't read in ages. lol

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (JessesGurl) | 68 comments We were farmers with no TV. So I read all the time. A wrinkle in time, The Secret Garden, Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley High, all the Wizard of Oz books and anything I could get my hands on. Looking back through my report cards they all say the same thing - N - needs improvement on makes good use of timeand in the comments - Katie was reading a book during the time she was supposed to be doing homework :(

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna Zaires | 8 comments I read a lot of the Tarzan books and I really liked the Mars books on which the recent John Carter movie was based on. Also, Gone with the Wind was my favorite.

message 18: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (JackieRhoades) | 34 comments Anna wrote: "I read a lot of the Tarzan books and I really liked the Mars books on which the recent John Carter movie was based on. Also, Gone with the Wind was my favorite."

Oh, Anna, Tarzan! I'd forgotten those and I loved them! I also read Horatio Hornblower and Rudyard Kipling - a lot of books my father read as a boy. I read mostly what were considered 'boys' books and graduated to 'mens' authors - Ed McBain, Ian Fleming, Alistair McClean (I'm giving away my age!) I was a latecomer to romance and my early love of sc-fi brought me to PNR.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Knight | 52 comments Oh the VC Andrews books! Loved those, read them over and over. Nancy Drew, the Benji (the dog) books, Misty of Chincotegue sp?, Ramona, anything paranormal I could find...My parents couldn't keep up with my reading in terms of trips to the library and bookstore. I read Gone with the Wind in 7th grade and I remember racing home from school to read!

message 20: by Paganalexandria (last edited Oct 18, 2012 10:11PM) (new)

Paganalexandria  | 238 comments Erin wrote: "I remember LOVING the book fair in school. It was always so exciting and I'd spend a lot of time in their choosing. I loved VC Andrews too and I had those books where if you opened the covers they ..."

Erin, I loved the book fair too! My mother did too because of my sudden willingness to do extra chores for money right before them. lol

The first book I consciouslyusly remember was "Little Toot" when I was really small. In about 4th grade I fell in in with Judy Blume. I actually gave Dear God it's Me Margaret to my niece when she got her first period. Middle school was all about the Sweet Dreams (harliquin for teenagers) and Sweet Valley series. High School I went Goth and Anne Rice became my mentor in my head.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 118 comments Brianna wrote: "Lol Erin. Cute stories. :D."

Thanks, I like to chuckle about them myself now and again as an adult. Kids can do the cutest things.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 118 comments Katie wrote: "We were farmers with no TV. So I read all the time. A wrinkle in time, The Secret Garden, Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley High, all the Wizard of Oz books and anything I could get my hands on. Looking ..."

I got in trouble at school reading too much too lol. I remember my sixth grade teacher called home and told my mom I read too much!

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 118 comments Yeah I wasn't crazy about that teacher :)

message 24: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Curry  (MaggieCurryBookDragon) I loved Marguerite Henry's horse books, Jack London's "White Fang," and Johanna Campbell's "Thoroughbred" series.

message 25: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (GGAtcheson) | 66 comments I don't remember the name of the first 'real' book I read. By real I mean only words, no picture. I remember it was a story about a fire in a forest and all the animals were trying to escape it.

My sister and I used to go to the local library every other Saturday morning. We'd sometimes take over an hour to pick our books. The first time I actually took out a real book (by that I mean no picture and around 200 pages), I didn't know it would take me the whole two week to read it. I had also taken out another about a horse called Hurricane. I wanted to keep that one last since I was so eager to read it. I ended up returning it unread. I didn't know we could recheck books for another two weeks so I just left it there with tears in my eyes. It took me nearly twenty years to find it back and yes, I checked it out. I just had to read it. :)

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 352 comments The Narnia series.

message 27: by Niamh (new)

Niamh O'Donovan | 5 comments I read a lot of Enid Blyton books as a young child. I remember going up to my mother after each book telling her, "This is the best book I've ever read!!!" I only remember that because at one point she got a little annoyed at my frequent outbursts of "BEST BOOK EVER!" and she pointed out to me that the latest book I finished was always my favourite book. If only things could be like that now. *sigh*

Along with my mother, who would always buy me a new book the other big influence on my life was a teacher who loved reading. She brought all her Terry Pratchett books into the class for anyone to read. I started with the Truckers/Diggers/Wings book, then progressed to Discworld. She still stands out as my favourite teacher.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 352 comments I'm glad you mentioned your teacher. One of my best memories is my first grade teacher. She loved books and passed that love onto her students. I read one hundred books that school year. We got credit for each book we read, but it didn't seem like work. It was pure joy. And she always had wonderful age appropriate books available for us. I have the greatest respect and admiration for teachers.

message 29: by Celestine (new)

Celestine | 47 comments My Gran had this old Reader's Digest Anthology of World's Best Fairy Tales (at about three inches thick it seemed huge to me at my young age). Eventually I made it through each and every tale and when Gran downsized years later, she gave me that book. I still treasure it. It fostered a love of fanciful story-telling that I still have to this day.