Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > What type of books did you "cut your teeth on" and what made you love reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 55) (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart I was just thinking about my reading habits as a child and teenager and wonder what others experienced. When I was 3 and 4 years old I remember pretending to read books. I would sit with a book and turn pages and say outloud what I thought the book should say.
Once I got to 3rd grade I had a teacher that would read to us everyday after lunch. The first book I ever remember reading was Ramona Quimby Age 8 by Beverly Cleary. My teacher had started reading it to us and I just couldn't wait to hear the end of the story so I begged my mom to buy it for me.
Later in elementary school I read a lot of Sweet Vally Twins/High books. By the time I was in middle school I moved on to adult books such as Danielle Steel (who I can't stand now) and Stephen King.
The funny thing is I read more YA book now that I am an adult than I did when I was an actual YA.
What books did you read when you were a kid/teen, and what got you into reading as a child?

message 2: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 242 comments Hmm let me see, when I was very little I loved steam engines (actually I still do) so, of course I love Thomas the Tank Engine. I read ALL of the books including the ones about the other railway with Skarloaey. I saw a steam train on holiday a year or so back and went on the foot plate and couldn't stop grinning all afternoon.

Anyway I digress, I read the The Chalet School and Jo series and Amazon Adventure series I loved, although they are probably a bit un-pc now as they cover a couple of American brothers who took animals from the wild for their father's zoo. That aside they were pretty informative about animals.

I read pony club books as well, although I can't recall the exact series.

I liked horror too, I read Dracula andThe Phantom of the Operaby age 12 plus Frankenstein and Jeykll and Hyde. All of which I have read many times.

One book I would recommend for kids who love horror is The Dark Behind the Curtain which is excellent.

Moonfleet is great and I still think
Watership Downis fantastic, in fact I read it again recently.

The Long And The Short And The Tall plus sundry other at school I read repeatedly. I actually wrote a follow up to that.

I spent a lot of time looking for books to read as I was beyond most of the books for my age in the library or they were not keen on reading the classics.

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 242 comments Oh I forgot CS Lewis, Robinson Crusoe, Friedrich and some Stephen king.

message 4: by Chryselle (new)

Chryselle (chryslle) | 19 comments I absolutely loved the American Girls series and I remember always going to the library to hide the those books behind other books so no one could borrow them until I'm done with them.

I also read a lot of Geronimo Stilton then, along with Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Kids. Also The Babysitters Club.

In 5th grade, I remember reading a lot of Enid Blyton. I love her books and I still do. I owe her so much because I think her books were a huge part of how I became into reading seriously.

By 6th grade, I have read most of my mom's Danielle Steel novels.

message 5: by Storm (new)

Storm (poefinn) | 39 comments roald dahl were the books i read as a kid, also, there are these books called the learning tree, or maybe that was the company...anyways they had the kids from the magic key books and show, and the milly molly mandy books, i loved them :3

the twits by roald dahl got me into reading, :D

message 6: by Kerry (new)

Kerry James (kerrii) | 6 comments The books I really remember getting into when I was younger are the magic faraway tree series by Enid Blyton - think this was the beginning of my love of fantasy novels...
Moonface rocks :)

message 7: by Adrianne (new)

Adrianne (adriannenars) | 0 comments The first book i've read and re-read for around a hundred times is the camp fear ghouls by R.L Stine. I loved it and almost memorized half of that thing. I collected his works for years and then I branched out to Sabrina the Teenage Witch and the line of read books started there. But now i'm into more of the chick lits and dystopian , post-apocalyptic themed reads just cause i'm fascinated with all this end of the world talk :)

message 8: by Missy (new)

Missy (BrewInspiration) I devoured every word of so many books. We walked to our public library all the time. I remember Id fill my bag to the brim! From fantasy to scary...it didnt matter, as long as I had a full load to carry home.

Michael Cargill Cargill (MichaelCargill) | 152 comments I was very much a Famous Five/Secret Seven fan for some time, along with the Dragonlance fantasy books.

I then read a Stephen King book by chance when I was about 16, and it's been MAYHEM ever since.

message 10: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 185 comments When I was really young (5-9 or so), it was things like the Frog and Toad books; Judy Blume; the Phantom Tollbooth was one of my favorites; the Chronicles of Narnia; and A Wrinkle in Time. Then it was all the Greek mythology I could get my hands on, including the Iliad and Odyssey (translated in verse) and the Greek Tragedies. Then I moved on to romances for a while as a teen--Harlequin and Silhouette Desires. ;) After that phase, I read mostly epic fantasy with the later addition of Star Wars books. Now I read epic fantasy, UF, and PNR, including YA within those genres.

message 11: by witchypoo (new)

witchypoo (jcwitchypoo) | 60 comments Christy wrote: "I was just thinking about my reading habits as a child and teenager and wonder what others experienced. When I was 3 and 4 years old I remember pretending to read books. I would sit with a book and..."

Are we the same person? Lol. The first book I remember reading, besides picture books, was Ramona Quimby, Age 8. I was 6 or 7 then. I also remember reading Bunnicula, Sweet Valley Twins/High, Babysitters Club, R.L. Stine's YA horror novels, and Choose Your Own Adventure D&D fantasy books. I also loved mythology. As a teenager I moved from R.L. Stine to Stephen King. Read as much of him as I could get my hands on. Also read a lot of poetry, the darker the better.
I now read a lot of paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and literary novels, with a little Stephen King mixed in for good measure. I think my childhood habits definitely led me here.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 6 comments I didn't read much as a kid. I hated to be read to, the book thats stands out the most to me is Mooch the Messy, although I ended up painting the pages closed lol

When I got into middle school is when I really started to read. When I was in fifth grade I loved to watch the Wishbone series, and in sixth grade my English teacher read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and I was hooked. I read a lot of RL Stine, and would pick up books at rummage sales, and go to the library. I remember reading the Acorna series by Anne McCaffery (the reason that sent me to the library, Sweet Valley twins, Nancy Drew, Nora Roberts, and the list goes on and on. I was also introduced to the Newberry (sp) Book award and tried reading a few of those titles. My schools in SD were amazing in that regard. My reading journal was at the max well before it was due!

After wandering a bit and forced reading I have come to love fantasy. I keep promising myself to read more wholesome literature but I love a good adventure.

message 13: by Marc (new)

Marc Stanley | 15 comments I started with pure fantasy...Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Lots and lots of Comics...Hardy boys, Lone Wolf, choose your own adventures...Judy Blume, like most kids...but I've always had the bug...I've tossed in the Pulitzer list and many classics, plays, poetry academia...but fantasy and thrillers are still my favorites...although professional reading takes up lots of extra time now...which sucks :)

message 14: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 247 comments Let me try to remember...

When I was 3-4, my grandma always read me stories about a little brown bear (that's how I learnt to read before I even hit elementary school, come to think of it). Then around 7 I got an anatomy book, complete with schemas, and I would always read it. I must've been one of the few kids in my school who could write "oesophagus" at 8. I can't remember all the books I read at the time, only that I wanted to read "The Plague" by Albert Camus at 9, and that the teacher had to tell the librarian that it was OK for me to borrow that book. ^^;

And then I was 12, and my mother lent me all her Stephen King books. Yeah, I read "The Shining" when I was 12. And people wonder why I'm weird. XD At 13-14 I discovered "Dune" and "The Lord of the Rings", and from then on went to reading sci-fi and fantasy on a regular basis.

To be honest, I only started appreciating "classics" after I was 25. Especially when I resumed my studies in English civilization & literature, and had to read Austen, Dickens, Shakespeare... Now I'm hooked to those too. (I still read fantasy from time to time, but much less than when I was in high school or during my early college years.)

message 15: by Carina (new)

Carina | 262 comments I cannot remember much from my younger years except that I was always reading above where I should have been. The first books that spring to mind are the Redwall books (these will always have a special place in my heart)... and quite a few of my Mums. I remember when I was around 5 or so my Mother reading me the Heidi series and from there I went to Black Beauty, Secret Garden, Little Women etc (though not at age 5!!). Teenage years saw me getting into fantasy with Tamora Peirce, L. J Smith (Nightworld not Vampire Diaries) LoTR... more 'classics' such as the Chalet School. Then at 15 I went into horror in a big way - Bram Stoker, Thomas Harris et al before migrating to Anne Rice, Laurell K Hamilton and Charlaine Harris. Late teens I went 'chic lit' for a while with Sophie Kinsella but I always drift back to horror and fantasy - though am now adding manga and graphic novels onto that.

I don't really know what has made me love reading so much ... though I think it has got to be the escapist factors.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth | 6 comments Carina wrote: "I cannot remember much from my younger years except that I was always reading above where I should have been. The first books that spring to mind are the Redwall books (these will always have a spe..."

I have been drifting into Manga as well!! I have watched anime on and off for years and after a few incomplete endings I decided to give it a whirl. Now I am addicted.

I have been reading LKH as well, I haven't read her latest book. I bought it buttttttt after reading a few pages felt it was going to turn into another furry erotica novel....

message 17: by Carina (new)

Carina | 262 comments Beth wrote: "I have been drifting into Manga as well!! I have watched anime on and off for years and after a few incomplete endings I decided to give it a whirl. Now I am addicted.

I have been reading LKH as well, I haven't read her latest book. I bought it buttttttt after reading a few pages felt it was going to turn into another furry erotica novel..."

Which Mangas have you been reading?

LKH - some friends bought me Cerulean Sins not realising it was part of a series, I read it and thought hey not bad so bought the rest. TBH it was probably after Cerulean Sins that the PWP started. Micah was the last I have read and I cannot decide if I want to read the rest (and put up with mis-matched covers :( ) or whether to just forget about it. I also read her Merry Gentry series and got as far as A Lick of Frost before giving up one that too... part of me thinks I should continue to read them as I really dislike not finishing I have started so... yeah.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth | 6 comments Carina wrote: "Beth wrote: "I have been drifting into Manga as well!! I have watched anime on and off for years and after a few incomplete endings I decided to give it a whirl. Now I am addicted.

I have been rea..."

I have been reading Black Butler ( I am inlove with Sebastian), Maid-Sama (they need to start publishing it in English again, I hate reading on my comp), Kimi ni Todoke, xxxHolic, Alice in the Country of Hearts and Clover, Ouran High School Host Club.... I want to pick up Negima!?, Inuyasha, and I forget what else, but those series will be too costly to pick up right now. Manga is like a pringle for me, once I pop I can't stop. What have you been reading?

LKH - It just gets worse after Micah. The plot is just tossed in between the sex scenes. I skipped Bullet (on accident) and was not lost or confused. I never started her Merry Gentry series. I was told it was just as graphic. I don't mind the graphic nature but I do expect some sort of story to go along with it.

message 19: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) In ancient times, back in the 1950's, parents could subscribe to a service that would send books through the mail that had stories in them. I remember that one of those stories was Black Beauty. When I was even younger, my grandmother would hold me in her lap and read books to me. Cowboy Bill was one. I cannot remember a time when I did not love reading. One day when I was about eight, my mother took me to this place that had an incredible number of books and they were free! It was called a library. I got a library card and was allowed to take three books home. I read those books in a few days, so the next Saturday I hopped on my bike and rode across town to the library to take the books back and get some more. I got a spanking when I got home for going so far by myself. I quickly learned to not tell my mother when I went to the library and to hide my books. What she didn't know wouldn't hurt my rear end.

message 20: by Carina (new)

Carina | 262 comments Beth wrote: "Carina wrote: "Beth wrote: "I have been drifting into Manga as well!! I have watched anime on and off for years and after a few incomplete endings I decided to give it a whirl. Now I am addicted.

..."

Huh, never got a notification to youre response.... not surprising.

Umm, I have read all of Ouran but currently own volumes 1-7, Cardcaptor Sakura and Fruits Basket (complete), Vampire Doll I own the first 4... Beauty Pop I have read it all but own volumes 1 and 2 - I cannot get volume 3 for love nor money :(

I liked XXXHolic but I was a bit disapointed in it... I preferred Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles (and of course they tie in with each other - along with Chobits which I would recomend). Inuyasha is very very good but does tend towards 'filler' volumes. But definitely worth reading.

I may not bother continuing with LKH then... whereas Anita Blake starts off tame then goes graphic the Merry Gentry series just starts off that way and gets worse. There is a plot, and an interesting one (between the Seelie and Unseelie courts and who will rule) but I was never sure if the plot was written around the graphic scenes or if the scenes were written around the plot.

message 21: by Brie (new)

Brie (brielikestoread) I remember the The Giving Tree was my favorite book as a child and first one I remember reading.

It was a 1st grade reading assignment and I missed that day in school, so my mom had to read it to me. After she read it to me a 20 times or so, and my teacher and whoever else I could convince to. I started reading it on my own that same year.
It was also the first to make me cry.

My first chapter book :
Harry Potter 2nd Book, but it was by far over my head. I wasn't even out of second grade yet. So I struggled through a few chapters before giving up. (I don't think I understood one thing in it, especially since I never read the 1st).

Then 3rd Grade we had a class assignment of Charlotte's Web I got bored and went ahead of the class. So that was my first chapter book I actually completed and understood.

By 9th grade I started venturing more into classics and theological books.

But I still enjoy fiction better :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

My first book that got me into reading: Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1) by Ben Mikaelsenthis is my book that got me hooked onto reading chapter books fastly like twilight and harry potter and I still have a copy of the book.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Beth wrote: "Carina wrote: "Beth wrote: "I have been drifting into Manga as well!! I have watched anime on and off for years and after a few incomplete endings I decided to give it a whirl. Now I am addicted.

..."

OMG I LOVE SEBASTIAN-SAMA TOO! AND USUI-KUN!! Hehe, I love manga and anime :)

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (emkathh) When I was in kindergarten I used to look in picturebooks and make up a story to the pictures. Then when I started school I loved reading because I had always been jealous of my older siblings couse they could read and I couldn't. The books that got me really into reading was the Percy Jackson series. I read a little before that too, but reading became a big part of my daily life after I read it.

message 25: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments I know a girl who did that (make up story to picture). well yeah, I guess everyone does it, but here goes:

so there was this cat and a mouse and she said the cat ate the mouse but then on the next page the mouse was still there!
so she quickly threw the book away lol :)

message 26: by Venise (new)

Venise Webb (vwebb) | 7 comments Believe it or not, it was Harlequin romance books. I was in the fourth grade. Kids weren't allowed to read them but I would sneak into a dark corner of the library and just get lost in them. Thankfully none of them had any graphic sex scenes like they do today. Anyway, that developed my love for reading and I now love romance in any genre. I did read some kids book. Matilda nourished my love for paranormal.

message 27: by Deeann (new)

Deeann Murphy | 54 comments Well Venise.....I too read my share of Harlequin romance books ! But I must say that I was fascinated by any story about Helen Keller and any story that involved girls going off to boarding school ! I don't know why those books fascinated me so much but when I finally had the opportunity to go off to camp for two weeks I was soooo homesick ! I then graduated to Nancy Drew ..... Actually by the 3rd grade I think I was they type of kid that I read anything I could get my hands on !!

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cooper (AndreaRCooper) | 54 comments I wasn't allowed to watch/read anything that had 'magic' in it. Seriously, I never saw a Disney movie until I was an adult. I would sneak home a magic/paranormal book and read it, then feel guilty. But those were the books I craved to read. I would have read all the time if my folks had been ok w/ it. Now I read fantasy/parnormal books constantly. Even YA (guess I'm making up for lost time). And I find myself writing books in those genres as well ;)

message 29: by Dianne (last edited Feb 18, 2013 02:18PM) (new)

Dianne | 34 comments I remember everything about that moment when I picked up a Ray Bradbury book for the first time. The place I stood. The light. The smell. Everything. No idea why. I had been an avid reader up to that point. Gone through my mystery stage, my biography... then one summer when my mom was picking out Gothic romances at our public library, I found the Illustrated Man. I was ten and life was never the same. Sci-fi is where I go to get away and the genre seems to disappoint less than many others.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Knive I was started on the road to the love of reading by my parents who read The Little Golden Book series, Jelly Belly, Robert Munsch, Teddy and Dolly... all those loveable books for babies/toddlers. When I started school, we had an elderly lady who read to my class in the local library - Rather, she told most of the stories by memory - and when my family moved to the city, she sent me recordings of her reading to me so I wouldn't miss home.

My own choices were pretty typical for little girls - Anne of Green Gables, The Saddle Club series, Black Beauty - but as I grew up, I discovered more challenging books (either for writing style or content) like Sadako and the 1000 paper cranes, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Chrysalids, Alex Haley's Roots, To Kill a Mockingbird, Sophie's World, A Solitaire Mystery, and Nobody Nowhere.

Every birthday and Christmas, I received a book from my aunt - and rarely of a topic I would have chosen for myself - who wanted to expand my interest areas and world knowledge.

I now have a new born nephew that I will try, with all my abilities, to ensure he can enjoy reading as much as I do.

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Knive Christy wrote: "I was just thinking about my reading habits as a child and teenager and wonder what others experienced. When I was 3 and 4 years old I remember pretending to read books. I would sit with a book and..."

Beverley Cleary! Freckle Juice was one of my favourites when I was little!

message 32: by Sumi (new)

Sumi (Scientia) | 14 comments My mom read us Robert Louis Stevenson and Charles Dickens as well as Shelley from the time she was pregnant, so we started reading pretty early. My very first book was "Harry and the Lady Next Door" (and "Is Milton Missing?" will always have a special place in my heart too), but by the time I was in kindergarten I was on to Hans Christian Andersen, and by third grade I'd read through Grimm and Perrault and was starting on Hamilton's "Mythology". So, *any* fairy tales or mythology, and some types of fantasy--especially Alexander, Tolkien, Lewis, and in high school, the original "Dragonlance" trilogy. For the rest, Western canon, mysteries (Holmes and Poirot especially), a little horror (Sturgeon and Lieber first) and *tons* of poetry.

message 33: by Sumi (new)

Sumi (Scientia) | 14 comments ~Thena~ wrote: "When I was really young (5-9 or so), it was things like the Frog and Toad books; Judy Blume; the Phantom Tollbooth was one of my favorites; the Chronicles of Narnia; and A Wrinkle in Time. Then it..."

Oh, I forgot about L'Engle! Woe is me. I loved all her "Time" books, and worked my way through most of the rest as well. And it's nice to see others who read mythology and epics at a young age as well; I always felt like an odd duck.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

My first loves were Suess, Bernstein Bears, etc... the first book I read on my own was The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan Berenstain, though I'm sure I just had it memorized. Lol. Then I remember being into Sweet Valley High and Baby Sitter's Club. I found fantasy when I walked past the Dragonlance section of my old bookstore - and it was love at first sight. I was also a big Stephen King fan growing up. My mom always let me read whatever I wanted.

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy (Demonkittie) | 468 comments When I was a kid it was every book by Mercer Mayer. I had them all and my parents read them to me until I got old enough that I would read them to THEM. I went a long time where I didn't really read much and then when I got older my mom had a collection of Stephen King books and that was got me into reading with a little help from a determined 7/8th grade teacher who pushed us to read John Steinbeck.

Glenna or Multiplicity (glennaormultiplicity) | 7 comments When a small child I have a memory of reading various books of fairy tales. Then about the age of ten and having come down with Acute Mono, my reading took a turn with the 'Little Lame Prince' I think that was the title. My mom told me to read ahead a few sentences to help to discern the meaning and if that did not help, then to use a dictionary which she provided. Some years following I read a novel titled 'Georgina Finds Herself'. Then later on read a detective series about an English Constable.

As time went on I moved to stories that were 'Historical' and found a love for poetry along the way. I now am a writer of poetry and Prose poetry and am working on a Saga. Writing provided an opportunity for me to move into various worlds which cast the nuances of color wrapped in emotions spoken and yet hidden within the characters that would become real to me.

I do not give references to Places or Schools and such as my memory of my past is in shadow; though the love for the written and spoken word is very real.

Ciao, glenna or multiplicity hall

message 37: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug My first book was either "The Secret of Spiggy Holes" or "The Valley of Adventure" by Enid Blyton, both of them full novel-sized, more than 300 pages each. Read them one after the other so no idea technically which was the first.

Age was 7 years, when I was in 2nd standard. Am not a book worm, rather, a bookoholic. Fought with my parents for reading "Kane and Able" by Jeffery Archer when I was 12, and denied permission, hid it under my frock and smuggled it to the bathroom to read when no one was looking. Had read "Robinson Crusoe" unabridged by the age of 10.

These books hooked me on to reading.

message 38: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Stedman Hi lots of the comments have a similiar theme - someone taking lots and lots of time to read to us when we were little. Something I've been thinking about a lot, now I have kids of my own.

Fave books as a kid? Charmed Life by Diana Wynne. It went out of print, and I was devastated. But now it's back, and I can share it with my own kids...

Anyone posting here discover reading on their own - not through an adult reading to them?

Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones

message 39: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug R.L. wrote: "Hi lots of the comments have a similiar theme - someone taking lots and lots of time to read to us when we were little. Something I've been thinking about a lot, now I have kids of my own.

Fave b..."

Yes, I have no memory of anyone reading to me. I don't think I've ever been read to. I spent my time alone in a room, closing the door, reading by myself..

message 40: by Anna (new)

Anna Hub (Anna_Hub) | 8 comments Christy wrote: "I was just thinking about my reading habits as a child and teenager and wonder what others experienced. When I was 3 and 4 years old I remember pretending to read books. I would sit with a book and..."

Sweet Valley High - wow that brings back memories!

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Hub (Anna_Hub) | 8 comments Beth wrote: "I didn't read much as a kid. I hated to be read to, the book thats stands out the most to me is Mooch the Messy, although I ended up painting the pages closed lol

When I got into middle school is..."

I was completely obsessed with Goosebumps!

message 42: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (BubbysMama) Excellent topic!

I learned to read when I was about 3 or so. My mom taught me. The first books I really remember were a few Disney and Dr. Seuss books, hardback with read-along cassettes. Cinderella, Snow White, Green Eggs and Ham, and The Cat in the Hat are the four I remember best. I'd lay on my mama's bed, listening to them, following along, and eating Chips Ahoy with milk - probably why Chips Ahoy are STILL my favorite cookie! To this day, when I read Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat, I read it in the same style as the narrator on the tape, complete with Sam I Am's animal's galloping. Those books were just the start of my love for reading.

Oh..showing my age...I also had a few Strawberry Shortcake read-along....RECORDS. Yes. Records. Those used to be a thing.

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (BubbysMama) witchypoo wrote: "Christy wrote: "I was just thinking about my reading habits as a child and teenager and wonder what others experienced. When I was 3 and 4 years old I remember pretending to read books. I would sit..."

I was also about 6 or 7 when I first read Ramona Quimby, Age 8. I was disappointed when my life wasn't as interesting a couple years later... The Ramona books are still some of my favorites. I just re-read them in December, when I found most of them at a thrift store and bought them for my niece for Christmas. I didn't even know she was into them - just wanted to pass along a great series - but she got SO excited. Turns out, an excerpt from Ramona Forever was in her reading book at school. That's one I didn't find, but I know I have a second copy somewhere for her.

She's my mini-me. I get her books every Christmas. Yeah, I'm that aunt.

message 44: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (VardanPartamyan) | 203 comments it was Stevenson and Scott and Cooper and all the wonderful worlds that they created to make you fall in love with reading and make you fall in love with life

message 45: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela My first grade teacher Ms. Linda read Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1) by Harry Allardto us...I was a goner after that. English is my second language so it was really special to me that she also gave me my first set of books :)

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 67 comments Fairy tales were my first love, but I would sneak my moms romance novels. Her books were what really got me into reading. Probably why I always have my head in the clouds.

message 47: by Marie (new)

Marie Browne (MarieBrowne) | 6 comments At primary school I won some sort of competition and, as a prize, they presented me with Forerunner Foray by Andre Norton (to a 10 year old for goodness sake), I still have it all signed and now sadly battered but that was pretty much the apex of the slippery slope and it was all downhill from there :-)

message 48: by Deeann (new)

Deeann Murphy | 54 comments Hey nancy .... I'm that kind of auntie too !!!

message 49: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (BubbysMama) Deeann wrote: "Hey nancy .... I'm that kind of auntie too !!!"

We're the best kind of auntie! I also have an aunt like that!

message 50: by Addict's (new)

Addict's Book | 15 comments I was very young when I learned how to read. My mother took me to library when I was 5 years old and after that I just had to learn how to read. My first book was Most wonderful fairy tales of the world. After that i got children's encyclopedia : World around us. and that was it. I got addicted for my whole life. When I was 9 or 10 years old I was reading Agatha Christie, Mark Twain, Jules Verne and the whole series of Famous five.
Now I'm reading fantasy, mystery, SF, romance, historical fiction, urban fantasy. To be honest I never was a big fan of YA but I did read few YA books that were fantastic.

« previous 1