Dog Soldiers Dog Soldiers discussion

Stone's genius with characters

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed As a writer, I was impressed by the way Stone employed a technique akin to the musical leitmotif in this book. Here's my take: http://bit.ly/T3deuO

What do you think?

Josie Daleiden Hall of Mirrors was a great read. It seemed to be a bit more nihilistic than Dog Soldiers. In Dog Soldiers, the characters were self destructive, but in a relatable and noble way. In Hall of Mirrors, everyone seemed to be locked in a death spiral that they deliberately kept themselves in. It was interesting to see the take on conservative politics that the main character played a part in.

message 3: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Weed I agree Josie. Other great novels by Stone are Outbridge Reach (my personal favorite), Red Flag for Sunrise, and Damascus Gate. Robert Stone is an under-read American genius of narrative!

Josie Daleiden Too true! I started Red Flag for sunrise, but never got a chance to finish it. I really wanted to see him spin off some of the characters from "Dog Soldiers". Everyone in that book had a sort or self involved malaise that would make the protagonists, or the antagonists, good for a new story.
It would be even better if he did so today. He could put the same feeling on the followup that Bret Easton Ellis put on "Imperial Bedrooms".Tthat story was a darker sequel to "Less Than Zero."

message 5: by Paul (last edited Aug 13, 2013 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Wilner It's A Flag for Sunrise, not Red Flag, and it's great (title is taken from Emily Dickinson poem below):

Wife -- at daybreak I shall be --
Sunrise -- Hast thou a Flag for me?
At Midnight, I am but a Maid,
How short it takes to make a Bride --
Then -- Midnight, I have passed from thee
Unto the East, and Victory --

Midnight -- Good Night! I hear them call,
The Angels bustle in the Hall --
Softly my Future climbs the Stair,
I fumble at my Childhood's prayer
So soon to be a Child no more --
Eternity, I'm coming -- Sire,
Savior -- I've seen the face -- before!

Carlos Pereyra I loved most of the book but I thought that the ending was weak.