The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > A book like Animal Dreams?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Has anyone read the book Animal Dreams? I haven't, but it is the favorite book of a friend of mine. She hurt her foot and has been spending lots of time reading. But she's a choosy reader and hard to recommend books to.

She's looking for a strong "sister" read, and she loves the pro-environment reads Kingsolver is so terrific at.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much!

message 2: by Mosca (last edited Feb 14, 2009 09:44AM) (new)

Mosca | 828 comments Has she read The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven? These are two books that Kingsolver also wrote early in her career; and they go together (one is the sequel to the other).

I read all three and really liked them all.

Also Prodigal Summer is very environmental and a very good book.

Well, really, anything by Barbara Kingsolver is recommended.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yeah, she's read her other stuff. It's hard to come up with something similar to Kingsolver, as she is a class all her own, but since she recently lost a sister, I think she's looking for a really good sister type of book.

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Pro-environment reads... The Loop by Nicholas Evans but it already making me fear a tragic ending. Evans I'd say is similar to Kingsolver's style in writing. Also The Divide, although not quite so pro-environmental - but that does feature.

Uhm.

Watership Down?

message 5: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Laura, besides crime for me Nicholas Evans writes the best books. For now only Barbara Kingsolver came near to it with Prodigal summer, so maybe it might be a good idea but not sure. If she would try them I would recommend to start with The loop or The horse whisperer. Maybe also The divide.

message 6: by Mosca (last edited Feb 14, 2009 10:41AM) (new)

Mosca | 828 comments Laura said: "Yeah, she's read her other stuff"

The same problem occurred to me a while back. I, too, have read just about all of Kingsolver's books. I love her work.

This may be trite; but there is a website called Literature-Map http://www.literature-map.com/.

This site places Isabel Allende as most similar to Barbara Kingsolver.

I've never read any Isabel Allende; so I can't comment on any similarities.

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Jeane wrote: "Laura, besides crime for me Nicholas Evans writes the best books. For now only Barbara Kingsolver came near to it with Prodigal summer, so maybe it might be a good idea but not sure. If she would t..."

The Loop's depressing. :(

message 8: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments But the story is deep and wonderful

message 9: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments I was going to recommend Isabel Allende as well. I have enjoyed all of her books, but the earlier ones are definitely better to me. (Barbara Kingsolver is also one of my favorites). For older books, the adult Madeline L'Engle books are also good. I'm a huge fan of all of her books, but there are some adult fiction--that are not science fiction--if you are not interested in young adult books.

message 10: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments Sorry--I realized I didn't list any of her books--Stories of Eva Luna is a good collection of short stories. and House of the Spirits is one of my favorites. (both by Allende)

message 11: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments Also, Digging to America by Anne Tyler was incredible and a great family story--Ok, I won't give anymore! :)

message 12: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9633 comments Mod
Moved this to the Recommendation Folder....

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie For pro-environment, perhaps she'd like Carl Hiaasen? I'm not sure if he's quite what you're looking for, though. Additionally, if she enjoys mysteries, you may want to look into Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series (first book is Track of the Cat).

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 91 comments In Her Shoes was a very interesting look at the relationship between 2 very different sisters. I loved the book (there is a movie also but the character development is lacking) but can't remember the author.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks everyone! Sorry Lori about the folder.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 556 comments Lauren wrote: "In Her Shoes was a very interesting look at the relationship between 2 very different sisters. I loved the book (there is a movie also but the character development is lacking) but can't remember t..."

I think In Her Shoes is by Jennifer Weiner. I haven't read it but I've read a couple of her books and they're enjoyable.

message 17: by Shelley (new)

Shelley I also love Barbara Kingsolver - she is definitely one of my all-time favourites.

How about The Girlsby Lori Lansens about conjoined twin girls or My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Both strong sister reads.