You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Amber's OcToppler

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (last edited Oct 15, 2012 08:13AM) (new)

Amber | 589 comments Day 1 accomplishments:

117 pgs of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
58 pgs of Death with Interruptions

message 2: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Great!

message 3: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Good start! How are you liking the book? I thought she did a great job of presenting the science in an understandable form, and blending the personal side with it.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber | 589 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Good start! How are you liking the book? I thought she did a great job of presenting the science in an understandable form, and blending the personal side with it."

I completely agree with that. I was worried the science part of the story would be overwhelming, but it isn't at all.

message 5: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3203 comments You're rolling right along, Amber.

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber | 589 comments Day 2 accomplishments:

about 75 pgs in Fat Girls and Lawn Chairs
about 20 pgs in Death with Interruptions

RL book club took up most of my free-time last night. Oh well, if I can't be reading, talking about books will do just fine. :)

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29909 comments Oh, you're reading Fat Girls too? What do you think of it so far. I find it amusing, but not as funny as I had anticipated. Loved the chapter about the cat and the "light box".

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber | 589 comments Janice wrote: "Oh, you're reading Fat Girls too? What do you think of it so far. I find it amusing, but not as funny as I had anticipated. Loved the chapter about the cat and the "light box"."

I was disappointed. While it was entertaining, it wasn't as entertaining as I thought it would be.

message 9: by Amber (last edited Oct 19, 2012 06:52AM) (new)

Amber | 589 comments Day 3:

Fat Girls and Lawn Chairs finished

Total pages read for this book: 242

This was a Witches Brew completion, giving me an extra 500 pages, which I will be cashing in for an Orange read towards my Rainbow. Yay! :)

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29909 comments I agree with your assessment, Amber. I haven't quite finished, but I think I would be more entertained if I actually knew the author, if that makes sense.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber | 589 comments Janice wrote: "I agree with your assessment, Amber. I haven't quite finished, but I think I would be more entertained if I actually knew the author, if that makes sense."

Makes total sense. The poems thrown in between the stories didn't seem to fit, either, especially the one at the very end. They felt sincere and 'deep' compared to the frivolous stories that comprised the rest of the book. But like you said, maybe it would have felt like it fit together better if we knew her and had a better sense of her personality and her life in general.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber | 589 comments I finally finished Death with Interruptions Death with Interruptions by José Saramago reading 238 pages.

This qualifies as a Witches Brew completion, so I'll be using the extra 500 pages to read an extra Orange book and have it count towards my Rainbow.

After deducting the extra 500 from each title finished so far, I'm left with a running total of 480 pages.

message 13: by Judy (last edited Oct 22, 2012 07:19AM) (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5750 comments Amber's badges:

Participant
Witches Brew = 2
Treat = 3

Good job, Amber!

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29909 comments Yeah Amber! :)

message 15: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Way to go Amber!

message 16: by Judy (last edited Oct 22, 2012 07:19AM) (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5750 comments Amber posted on the Main Toppler thread that she completed The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot for an Orange, plus the The Absolute Value of Mike by Kathryn Erskine for a second Orange title.

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments Congratulations on a wonderful toppler! Hooray!! : )

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 5758 comments I'll add my congrats on finishing the toppler!