The Sword and Laser discussion

Felix jumps from 120,000 feet!

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments Also some interesting updates from Gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/5951563/first-huma...

message 3: by Chadwick (new)

Chadwick Saxelid | 14 comments That jump was awesome. I am going to be smiling all day because of it.

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments I screamed when the door opened.

message 5: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments So - in the future will astronauts be able to free jump to earth if there is ever a need for an emergency return in case a space craft malfunctions or a space station runs into trouble ?

message 6: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments With this jump I'm thinking that's what they were going for; to test the stresses on the human body falling from that height and the performance of the suit and helmet Felix was wearing.

message 7: by Chadwick (new)

Chadwick Saxelid | 14 comments Before this jump I thought that the ending of the movie Lockout was absurd. Now, I'm not so sure...

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5139 comments Mod
Here is a view from his headcam

Warning it might make you dizzy. I can only imagine how he felt.

message 9: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 313 comments Mad bstd

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5139 comments Mod
Alexandra wrote: "Mad bstd"

BSTD? Are you abbreviating bastard?

I looked it up on acronym finder and discovered it could mean "Bureau of Sexually Transmitted Diseases" I didn't know such a thing existed.

message 11: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Stan wrote: "So - in the future will astronauts be able to free jump to earth if there is ever a need for an emergency return in case a space craft malfunctions or a space station runs into trouble ?"

Not quite. They'll still need a heat shield. I was thinking the same thing. Now they just need a small heat shield... and a volunteer.
But if the lift off goes badly then can punch out during the first 10 second or so. Which is often the trickiest part of any launch.

message 12: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 2143 comments If you just jumped out of the space station you would not go anywhere because you maintain your orbit around the earth. To fall from the Space Station you would have to drastically slow your orbital velocity.

message 13: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments You just jump out in the opposite direction of the orbiting craft instead of straight at earth itself.

That way your orbital velocity decreases, and you fall (admittedly quite slowly at first) toward earth.

message 14: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 2143 comments Stan wrote: "You just jump out in the opposite direction of the orbiting craft instead of straight at earth itself.

That way your orbital velocity decreases, and you fall (admittedly quite slowly at first) tow..."

I don't think my legs could push me fast enough to make any appreciable dent in the 17,000mph orbital velocity of the ISS :)
But I guess some sort of escape pod or rocket pack could be made to do the job. I'm thinking that if you have to do an emergency escape from the ISS then you want to get down as fast as possible.

message 15: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 313 comments hehehe and have something soft to land on:0

message 16: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments AndrewP wrote: "I don't think my legs could push me fast enough to make any appreciable dent in the 17,000mph orbital velocity of the ISS :) ..."

Ahhh - you see that is why I go to the gym. Just incase this kind of the ever comes up.

Buff legs for the win !!!!

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (Cattfish) The whole point of the jump was to see if you would get stuck in orbit or actually free fall (actually performed by Felixs mentor way back when).

message 18: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 2143 comments Cattfish wrote: "The whole point of the jump was to see if you would get stuck in orbit or actually free fall (actually performed by Felixs mentor way back when)."

So they could have saved a ton of money if they just did some basic math :) Wouldn't have been as cool though!