One Day One Day discussion

Ending!! #SPOILERS####

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 1 star

Sue I personally did not care how the book ending just that it did. I was sad reading the book because I found it boring and was relieved that I manage to see if through the end as opposed to just throwing the book in the bin. The male lead was basically a shallow male slut and the female lead to me seem to be also not as shallow and lacking any direction, just waiting until she could be a couple with the male lead. For me a happier ending would have been if he had died or if they both had died. Dare say I shall be in the minority

KarenH I loved the book but was totally depressed with how things turned out. This is one reason why I prefer the romance genre...almost all of the books are written with a happy-ever-after ending.

Adriana Was I sad? Let me tell you, I sobbed as I read the whole last section of the book! But I did so love this book. When I read it through a second time, I discovered that the author pretty much gave away the ending in a snippet he quoted from Tess of the D'Urbervilles at the beginning of the section where Emma dies.

Reilly I was shocked. It was unfortunate that they FINALLY got together and she was killed. Even in the movie, when I knew it was coming I was still upset by it.

Richard i thought the end was a cheat, it was like bad sunday television drama where a show can't end without the death of someone big. up until then it was a relatable and fun drift through 2 lives. once the death happened it became banal and annoying.

i've leant it out a lot on the strength of the excellent majority of the book but i've yet to meet anyone who thinks the ending is appropriate for the story.

it simply felt like a Fuck You from the author

Gzchealsea I really think that the ending made the book if she didn't die it would not have been that good

Penny I adored this book, and yes I sobbed during the last section. Of course I wanted them to get their Happily Ever After, but it is a life lesson. How many of us waste time, years even, instead of going after what or who will make us truly happy?

Emma I thought the ending was irritating and cheap. You could see it coming from a mile off and spent most of the novel thinking "please dont let them get together and her be hit by a bus... please dont let it be that predictable". Totally ruined it for me; up till then I was really enjoying it. Now I just remember it as lazy.

Belinda Emma wrote: "I thought the ending was irritating and cheap. You could see it coming from a mile off and spent most of the novel thinking "please dont let them get together and her be hit by a bus... please dont..."

I completely agree. I saw this coming from about half way through the book (that and someone gave the ending away) and I wanted to be sad but I just didn't like the characters enough to care. I was just relieved because I knew that the ending was coming!

I was really enjoying this until about half way, and then it seemed to drag on. I was feeling "just get together already and get this over with!" I think half the book was unnecessary, and when he started to jump from the past to the present in the same chapter I was getting more and more frustrated.

It had its moments but I only gave this two and a half stars (I wish we could give half stars!)

Ursula Florene Well, despite of the fact that the ending sucks, and half later of this book is also sucks, I still think this is great. I mean, not all love story has a good ending, right? I was kinda upset when Emma died and Dex be with whatever her name is. The only touching part was when he did the flashbacks about Emma. Other than that sucks. He better died than be with anyone else.

Lena♥Ribka Belinda wrote: "Emma wrote: "I thought the ending was irritating and cheap. You could see it coming from a mile off and spent most of the novel thinking "please dont let them get together and her be hit by a bus....."

Exact! It's just my opinion about the book.

Maeliosa I loved this book, and yes the ending did upset me. But Dex found love again, even if it wasn't with who we all wanted him to be with. I'm just surprised it took Emma and Dex so long to get together. The movie shocked me at how 'to-the-book' it was.

Did anyone else notice the over-use of the word 'ostentatious'?

message 13: by Ging (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ging Oh boy did I bawl.

I think I cried twice-- when Emma died and when Dex told her he was getting married.

The ending was really tragic. It was rather unfair because they waited for what- 16 yrs(?) to be together and yet fate just gave them 18mons as an official couple. But you know what, I'd rather have this type of ending than those fake ones (eg. How To Kill a Rockstar). It was real and I wouldn't have it any other way.

However, I wished it did not end with those flashbacks, because, to tell you honestly, I was not even a bit curious how they became friends and what exactly happened on the first day that they met. I wished Emma left some letter or Dex got to read her diary and poems. I believe, I need to resent David Nicholls after that. lol.

message 14: by Deniz (new) - rated it 1 star

Deniz Until I read Emma's death, I thought Dex was going to be killed. I think I would prefer it that way, he was a waste of oxygen. I don't understand how a "brilliant" person like Emma couldn't let him go for ~15 years just because he had a natural charm. Anyways, I agree with Susan, I was just happy that the book was coming to an end.

message 15: by Tash (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tash Dahling I didn't find either character particularly likeable, and so when she does die, I was really annoyed. I was waiting for either of them to show some redeeming features. Or maybe I was waiting to really feel like they were really in love. I didn't buy it.

Rachel I didn't mind the fact that Emma died but the very very ending annoyed me. When it was revealed that they had shared the real passionate kiss when all along we'd thought that they had just missed their sexual encounter and had started off as friends. I dont' understand why we were given this last scene as it made me even more confused about why they hadn't gotten it together earlier.

Michael Brown Worked for me. Sad obviously, but in not copping out with the gooey just-what-we-want ending, (even if to be honest I'd have taken that as well, big suck that I am), it did at least avoid the obvious. Anyway, it's a lovely book regardless.

message 18: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey I think that it was a tragic ending to a fantastic story. But that's how life is sometimes and this book was very real and down to earth. It made me cry for hours but I feel that it only enriched the story that much more.

Jenna The ending was surprising, and as a result, angered me quite a bit. I guess I could identify with Emma, hence my response. But saying that, I think the ending worked. It irritated me, but encapsulates the fact that life doesn't always have a 'happy ending'. Moreover, the chapters following Emma's death was really emotional, but worked. I disliked the character of Dexter, but thought he was very intriguing and most importantly, reacted in a realistic way. Therefore, the novel had an impact on me, which I find essential in an author's writing.

message 20: by Anca (last edited Mar 17, 2013 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anca Like all of you, I too was incredibly sad when Emma died, obviously. Sad and quite angry to be honest, but when I think about it, I realize her death was somehow necessary (?). Of course Dex was already a changed man, and of course things could have turned out perfectly with both of them alive since they were finally together, but at the same time, I guess their relationship would have also been sad, especially for Emma. The fact that she couldn't have children would have killed her inside... I know that they could have worked that out if she didn't die, of course they could, but what I think to myself to make me understand and get over her death is that she dying turned him into a better man. For good. Dexter had a terrible life but at the same time, he was surrounded by amazing people who built his personality bringing him to his feet, and Emma was one of those people, obviously. That's why he tried his best to move on after her death instead of choosing the easy way out, instead of going back to being a mess. The thought that she was always on his side while she was alive, stopped him from giving up on who he was with her by his side. Yeah...

Leesa When it ended I was heart broken and I even cried but then I read a quote from the author where he says that he wrote this book to tell about the illusion of growing up and I realized that this book was one of the most realistic that I've read in a while. The ending of the book was so tragic and real that it just made me love the book all the more.

message 22: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Penny wrote: "I adored this book, and yes I sobbed during the last section. Of course I wanted them to get their Happily Ever After, but it is a life lesson. How many of us waste time, years even, instead of g..."

I totally agree....the ending was to.prove you shouldn't waste your life on things that don't make you happy because time, and therefore life, is precious

Maria I didn't expect this ending and I found it really sad...

I thought that after all these lost years they deserved to live happily.

message 24: by Gerd (new) - rated it 1 star

Gerd Gzchealsea wrote: "I really think that the ending made the book if she didn't die it would not have been that good"

Yeah, 'twas certainly a high-point in the story. :D

Actually, I don't really see why they should have deserved a happy ending after willfully hurting so many people in their lives.
So, no, _that_ part didn't anger me. :)

message 25: by Juan (new)

Juan The ending was very sad i to see her die but in the end she makes him a better man really changes his life for the better. and i suggest that her death was for the better to make him better.

Angela Susan wrote: "I personally did not care how the book ending just that it did. I was sad reading the book because I found it boring and was relieved that I manage to see if through the end as opposed to just thro..."

I Totally agree. THe movie was so much better. I honestly don't know how it was so popular

Rhiannon Davies I think the ending is really disappointing because it was so unexpected and out of sync with the rest of the story but I guess in a way, that is what makes it so realistic. A lot of deaths are truly unexpected and just random and don't always fit with how plots "should" carry out. This runs true with the book. Happy endings don't exist and the ending just proves that.

Melissa Rhiannon wrote: "I think the ending is really disappointing because it was so unexpected and out of sync with the rest of the story but I guess in a way, that is what makes it so realistic. A lot of deaths are trul..."

That's exactly how I feel. The ending of the book seemed a bit of a reach for me until about a year and a half later when my friend wad killed on her bike and her soulmate was left devastated. And they had only been together a couple of years. It was incredibly sad. But this is real life. People are taken away from you suddenly and tragically. All you can do is move on.
Emma and Dexter were two deeply flawed characters who had a solid friendship and at least were able to love each other for a little while. Sometimes that is all people get.

message 29: by Jessica (last edited Jul 10, 2013 03:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jessica The ending made me want to throw the book across the room. I waded through all that "will they or won't they" crap and when they finally get together, that's the ending we get! I was fairly ambivalent about the rest of the book, I wanted to smack some sense into Emma and send Dex to rehab, but the ending -- one of the more immediate and visceral reactions I've ever had. Totally turned me off of Nichols as a writer. I read this book more than 2 years ago and I'm still ticked about the ending.

Paola I must admit that at the beginning I didn't accept the ending quite well, because, it was too much to ask for a happy ending? They had sufferd enough through the whole story, they deserved to be happy, but then I realized they were happy. In real life, you don't get to be happy everyday, so they didn't either, but they had their moments and that's how life works.

Also, I was digging a little bit about the ending today and I found this:

"I thoroughly enjoyed reading One Day. I could feel all the emotions of Em and Dex. My question…. Did you plan from the start for Em to die? I completely lost it and cried like a baby! Thank you for the story.

Posted by: Stephanie| Friday, January 28, 2011 at 01:36 PM

SPOILER ALERT!

Yes, Stephanie, always part of the plan. The original idea from the book—stolen from the passage in Tess, which I quote—was to write about a ‘death-day,’ the unknown anniversary that we all have, the date of our future death. The trick then was to keep it from the reader. So it was no whim on my part. It was always what the book was going to be about."

It forms part of a series of questions that fans made to the author and when I read that answer, we'll... It quite got me. I never thought of it like a "death day" and I must admit, the idea of the book actually being about the journey to that anniversary amazed me and made me appreciate the book as a whole a little bit more.

PS: If there's any mistake at writing, it's just because English is not my mother language.

message 31: by Isaw (new) - rated it 2 stars

Isaw for me the wrong person was killed off, it should have been Dex, only because i loved Em.

Kristia I didn't like the ending in the book because I'm rooting for Dex and Emma to grow old together and all that jazz because they've gone through enough time not being with one another. Plus it's just saddens me that Emma passed away and it seems for me that Dex moved on too quickly but I'm kind of happy that he did because its must be hard losing your loved one that also happens to be your best friend.