You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > jaxnsmom enters OCTOPPLER!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 78) (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Here's hoping there will be lots of pages so I can earn lots of treats!

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments Good luck and happy reading! May many treats be yours! : )

message 3: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3201 comments Happy reading!

message 4: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3201 comments How's Midnight in Austenland coming along?

message 5: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 5577 comments How's it going?

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments That was appropriate since you started reading at midnight.

message 7: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Yes, and it meets the October Challenge :) Yay for double-dipping!
It's not as good as Austenland. A lot more of a mystery, which is fine. The main character kind of gets on my nerves - she's very wimpy and very aware and focused on her her wimpiness. I keep wanting her to relax and enjoy the experience.

Now if I could ever finish it...

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments I FINALLY finished my first book! And read a book for the October Challenge :)

Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale 272 pages

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments We interrupt this program to report that j'mom has quit dreaming of Johnny Depp long enough to finish a book.

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments Do you think Jaxnsmom has any more sexy bodies in that special closest of hers that she might want to share with the rest of us? : )

message 11: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Well, I was keeping this one for myself...

Photobucket Image Hosting

It's a little hot in here, maybe a quick swim to cool off, but that might just make it hotter :)

message 12: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Oct 14, 2012 09:24PM) (new)

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments Oh, Jaxnsmom! 007 in the flesh!!! Be still my heart. He can put his slippers under my bed any night!!! ; )

OMG! Now this is a MAN!

I cannot believe you have been holding out on me!!!!! I'll take this instead of a badge on my wall!!!! hahaha

message 13: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments I knew you'd steal the picture right off of my thread and move him to yours!

message 14: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Oct 14, 2012 09:31PM) (new)

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments If I only knew how!!! I shall have to enlist the help of others in this enterprise. I know they will take pity on me. You probably have an entire closet filled with sexy men... what is one more to you?! LOL

Thank you Jaxnmsom! I really needed that ray of sunshine! ; )
We are going to have to name you our sex master. LOL : ) or maybe master of sex

message 15: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads Connie wrote: "Thank you Jaxnmsom! I really needed that ray of sunshine! ; )
We are going to have to name you our sex master. LOL : ) or maybe master of sex "

Master? Mistress! ROFL

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments Hey, she DID come up with a sexy pic of my man! No one else has done that!!! AND she whipped up a sexy shot of Johnny for Debra! I haven't seen any other sex goddesses around here whipping up SEXY men for us!!!! That's it! We can dub her our "sex goddess." ; ) Nice! Way to go Jaxnsmom, you sex goddess!

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments LMAO! And I thought that was my computer overheating....

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments Smoking...sizzling...zzzzzzpppppttttttt (electrical energy)

We need fans in here! ASAP!

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Well, I think Johnny and 007 have plenty of fans, that's part of the problem! hehe

message 20: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Oh my, I'm going to have to start taking requests for pictures of men now, aren't I?

Was this really the reputation I wanted?!?!

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments We rarely get the reputation we wanted..... ROFL!

message 22: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments True, true.

I'm off to work now.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments Me too - or I'll get the reputation of procrastination. Except, I probably already have that reputation.

message 24: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Started listening to Tears of the Desert A Memoir of Survival in Darfur by Halima Bashir today and read a few pages of Remember Me A Lively Tour of the New American Way of Death by Lisa Takeuchi Cullen. I think I'm going to bed now and read.

message 25: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Nice choices, JMom. Does it feel like you are still reading for the last Toppler with the Darfur Asian (Darfur)book?

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments I shudder any time I hear that someone is reading Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur. I was traumatized by that book.

message 27: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments I know what you mean by feeling traumatized. Some of it's so hard to read, so much brutality!

pssst, Judy, Darfur is in Africa :)

message 28: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Oops! Well you know what subject I didn't major in. lol.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments I majored in "austrich with head in sand".

message 30: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Thought I'd better make a post for keeping track of my pages.

Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale 272 pages + 500 WB pages for Oct challenge

Tears of the Desert A Memoir of Survival in Darfur by Halima Bashir 316 pages nonfiction

588 pages read
500 pages earned

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 5577 comments Janice wrote: "I majored in "austrich with head in sand"."

lmao

message 32: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments I like your system, JMom. That is excellent and easy to understand.

@ Janice OMG, I'm lmao with Debra. (and I wondered why I had all that sand in my hair..)

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments And I didn't learn how to spell down there either. Ostrich, not Austrich, unless it was a species from down under.

message 34: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Oct 17, 2012 06:15PM) (new)

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments I'm with Debra and Judy lmao!

I think I am going to have to haunt Jaxnsmom's thread since she is trying to snake my man away from me! I have been in tears all day!! ) :
I'm so hurt!

And I dubbed her the SEX GODDESS! What kind of gratitude is that?

message 35: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments ummm, excuse me, but after sex goddess, what did you expect other than a picture in bed? ☺

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "ummm, excuse me, but after sex goddess, what did you expect other than a picture in bed? ☺"

ROFL!

message 37: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Janice - I found an Austrich for you :)

ostrich

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Oct 17, 2012 08:47PM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Janice - I found an Austrich for you :)

"

ROFL! J'Mom, you are the best.

message 39: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Oct 17, 2012 09:00PM) (new)

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "ummm, excuse me, but after sex goddess, what did you expect other than a picture in bed? ☺"

I love the picture, dear. I just didn't expect you to start getting mail from my man! No way! Too sneaky!

You were not supposed to use your sexiness on Daniel! How do I compete with the SEX GODDESS?! haha

Love the ostrich!

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments I'll have to tell you about a story I wrote about my husband, Pavarotti, and me. It was about being sexy and funny.

message 41: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Do tell!!!

message 42: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments I finished The Awakening by Kate Chopin finally! Couldn't get into most of it, and hated the ending. But it's an indigo and a Witch's Brew.

195 pages + 500 WB

message 43: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 17, 2012 10:01PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments Scorecard

Nonfiction
316 pages Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur nonfiction

Witch's Brew
272 pages Midnight in Austenland Oct challenge
195 pages The Awakening Indigo

Treats earned and spent:
500 free pages WB (Oct challenge)
500 free pages WB (indigo)

message 44: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Oct 17, 2012 11:39PM) (new)

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments Just for the record, all is forgiven, and Jax and I are best buds again!

This happened years ago...back in the late 90s. It was when Pavarotti was on tour and PBS was televising his tours. The Three Tenors were really popular then, too. I love opera and ballet, so I watched PBS a good bit then to catch their shows. My husband cares for neither (he is a sports guy) but he does go with me to various larger cities to opera and ballet performances. His sister could not believe it the first time she found out he had gone to a ballet with me. He is a good soul, but some things just astound him about the whole world of opera and ballet.

You also need to know that my husband is older than I am. He was in his thirties when we married; I was in my twenties. When he was in high school, he was Most Handsome, Mr. SHS, labeled "Bedroom Eyes" in his yearbook, pitcher for the baseball team, on the football team, etc. In other words, he was handsome, cool, hot stuff, all the girls wanted to date him, and he knew it. When I was in high school, I was quiet, shy and into making excellent grades and not really being noticed too much. I liked fashion, but only because I like pretty clothes not because I wanted to be noticed by boys.
When we met my husband had been out of high school twenty years, but he still knew he looked handsome and thought that was important. He always has thought it is important how I look too. I on the other hand was looking for someone like my father (I am a Daddy's girl) when I got married. I knew that my dad represented security and that was what I wanted. I have a minor in psychology, so I have taken enough tests to know. Looks are fine, but they do fade over time.

One afternoon I was sitting in the den watching Pavarotti on PBS. I was having the time of my life, and my husband knew it. He slid into the seat beside me, brushing his leg next to mine. When I did not respond, he looked at me and then at Pavarotti.
Then he said, "You really like this guy?"
I said, "Oh, yes."
He said, "Why?"
"Because he sounds like an angel and looks like a sexy devil!"
With disbelief, "Him?!"
I said, "He can put his slippers under my bed anytime."
Now he is sputtering, "That little FAT man!!"
"Oh, yes, that little fat man with the dancing eyes and the voice of an angel."

My husband convinced himself that I was playing with him because he could not imagine anyone being drawn sexually to Pavarotti because he did not fit the image of a Most Handsome, etc. He just didn't understand the lure and magic of other talents making the weight issue totally disappear. He has only one image of beauty...the All American one.

However,I was very proud of my husband when years later I had to have surgeries which left terrible scars on a large area of my body, which can be covered with clothes. Although I was hospitalized for long stretches of time for each of the surgeries, my husband never left my side, even to get food. He just ate from my tray. I was in and out of the hospital for months, and my husband took a leave and stayed by my side. He is a workaholic, so this was so unbelievable that he would do this for me. And he convinced me that I am still the most beautiful woman in the world (to him). So many times he will say, "You cannot even see the scars!" I know that is not true, but I love him for saying it. I am so grateful that he has learned true beauty is within us.

message 45: by Judy (last edited Oct 18, 2012 04:36AM) (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments Aw, Connie, that is so-o beautiful! (wiping lots of tears from eyes)

message 46: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5743 comments JMom, you are too funny!

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29606 comments Awesome story Connie. Did this happen before or after you were married.

message 48: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 5577 comments Connie, I love your story. Sounds like your hubby has grown into quite an outstanding husband. It's sometimes strange how a crisis in our lives will bring people even closer.

message 49: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3201 comments Aww Connie, love that.

message 50: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Oct 18, 2012 12:37PM) (new)

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 4258 comments This happened after we were married, and I really meant for this to only be a funny story; however, once I started writing, the story sort of took over.
Debra, the crisis in my life changed both of us and brought us much closer in a way we had never been. You are so right. Scott has grown into a superstar husband! : ) You will see how people step up to the plate for you because they love you so much. People in your family will wrap you in so much love, and that is what will get you through this. And you will get through this because you are a strong diva like me! : )

« previous 1