King Rat (Asian Saga, #4) King Rat discussion

King rat

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Minnie When I was about 13 years old I went through a phase in which I'd walk through the library in my small home town and just pick out thick books. During this phase I read King Rat and learnt that to survive man can do anything.

Cheryl S. This is the yukkiest one of his books. Have you read any of the others? They're pretty good reads.

Kevin Flink this book was GREAT!!!!!!

Michael T Yucky as in awesome!

Laureen Cheryl S. wrote: "This is the yukkiest one of his books. Have you read any of the others? They're pretty good reads."

I read this book many years ago and it my favourite of all his novels. They are all interesting. When you remember a book from so long ago, it must have left a lasting impression. Maybe I should read it again!

david e. It's a great read. Typical though, when rescued attitudes change.

Stephen Broeker I enjoy the author and the series. Very nice historical fiction.

Anne The details are yucky, but I'm sure I would do the same thing to survive if I was in the same situation. I read this book over 10 years ago and some of the details still stuck in my head.

Stephen Broeker Yes life was harsh in a concentration camp.
But the story is also about survival and teamwork.

Laureen A recommendation for all those who love the insight that "King Rat" provides as I do; try Laura Hillenbrand's "Unbroken". It is a biography that reads like fiction - absolutely riveting.

I find it hard to believe what people suffered in the world wars and yet had the courage to persevere and survive. Of course many more didn't survive but died under horrific circumstances.

message 11: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Welch I have enjoyed all his books, except Whirlwind. For some reason I'm unable to get into it. Does anyone know how many pages I should read for Whirlwind to turn into a page turner?

Jeff Gary wrote: "I have enjoyed all his books, except Whirlwind. For some reason I'm unable to get into it. Does anyone know how many pages I should read for Whirlwind to turn into a page turner?"

I liked Whirlwind and would give it a chance. The book I had a hard time with was Gai-Jin.

message 13: by Gary (last edited Dec 11, 2012 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Welch I liked Whirlwind and would give it a chance. The book I had a hard time with was Gai-Jin.

I agree, Gai-Jin was also a slow read, but for some reason I was still able to finish it. Whirlwind.........I have tired three times.

Jeff Gary wrote: "I liked Whirlwind and would give it a chance. The book I had a hard time with was Gai-Jin.

I agree, Gai-Jin was also a slow read, but for some reason I was still able to finish it. Whirlwind......."

All I can say, Gary, is it gets better; however, after three times it might be time to move on.

message 15: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Welch Jeff wrote: All I can say, Gary, is it gets better; however, after three times it might be time to move on.

The only reason I gave it three times was due the the level of enjoyment I got from Clavels other books.

Feliks 'King Rat' is one of the best book/movie combinations in history.

Deacon Mike This book is not everyone's cup of tea. I think it makes us look at aspects our personalities and just what we are each capable of when our survival is at stake.

Craig One of the interesting things about this book aside from the camp itself being an actual place is that the author himself was held there during W.W.II. When he wrote this book, he was writing from direct experience. This may have already been mentioned or known, but for those who possibly didn't, Clavel did his "research" by being a prisoner of the Japanese Imperial Army.

message 19: by Kirk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kirk KR is my favorite, and in my view the best, of all Clavell's Asia books.

message 20: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Welch Kirk wrote: "KR is my favorite, and in my view the best, of all Clavell's Asia books."

Books: Shogun and Noble house I believe are his best, great reads! Followed by Taipan and King Rat. With Gai-Jin and Whirlwind near the bottom.

Movies/TV: Shogun is hands down the best ever mini series. But Noble House was very good. I have not seen Taipan or King Rat yet, but I plan on it.

message 21: by Feliks (last edited Oct 07, 2013 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feliks Best ever? With who-was-it? Richard Chamberlain? Come on now. I appreciate your fandom for that program but it can hardly be nominated as the best ever tv mini-series

message 22: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Welch Feliks wrote: "Best ever? With who-was-it? Richard Chamberlain? Come on now. I appreciate your fandom for that program but it can hardly be nominated as the best ever tv mini-series"

Have you read the book and seen the mini-series?

message 23: by Feliks (last edited Oct 07, 2013 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feliks Indeed, and promptly forgot them. Rather a special-interest topic, wouldn't you agree? But its not just me, after all. The series is simply not that talked-about or well-remembered among tv fans in general. Anywhere tv miniseries are discussed, you'll probably never even hear it mentioned. I'm not saying its bad or flawed, not at all. But what evidence can you point to, to indicate that it was ever--in any way--stellar, unique, or favored? There's lots of tv miniseries which are adequately done, and maybe some of them become personal-favorites..but most of them don't become acclaimed in any massive way. Only a very small few ever get a reputation as 'candidate for best ever'. Considering the number of mini-series produced every year, that would be high-praise indeed. I'm just counseling a balanced viewpoint here.