Divergent discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
Your Opinions > Thank Goodness Divergent Isn't Based On A Love Triangle

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marilyn Anderson (Marilyn344) | 300 comments Mod
A lot of books that are great tend to have love triangles, for instance The Hunger Games with Katniss having to decide between Gale or Peeta. It bothered me, but wen I read Divergent I liked it more since I didn't have to choose whether I liked Tobias or some other potential lover of Tris. Do you think not having a love triangle, as a major theme, helped out make the book awesome?

Quinn Cole (olandeo) | 4 comments but there was. It was between Tobias and Four.

message 3: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tobias and Four are the same person so Tris didn't have to choose who she wanted since their was a second love interest.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I do like a love triangle (when it's done well), but it was refreshing to have just the one lover.
Plus, I don't think anyone could have rivaled Tobias:)

message 5: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Other than Eric but he was just so unlikeable. if Tris decided to pursue Eric, then the readers would hate her for it

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG, Tris and Eric. *shudders* My brain is now traumatized.

message 7: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Exactly my point!

message 8: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was also worried at one point, when I 1st read Divergent, that Al and Four (his name used at the time) were going to battle it out for Tris' attention. But Al committed suicide so I felt upset (because he died) and happy (because there wasn't going to be a love triangle and I liked Four/Tobias better) at the same time

Macy | 65 comments I know if she did something something like twilight which I loved those books but if Roth did it I wouldn't like it.

message 10: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, it would definitely cause the books to be off.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Macy wrote: "I know if she did something something like twilight which I loved those books but if Roth did it I wouldn't like it."

I only ever read the first Twilight book, but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I thought it'd be. I actually like how the author wrote it, and Edward wasn't as nearly stalkerish and creepy as he was in the movie.

message 12: by Macy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Macy | 65 comments Livvly {I got the moves like Jagger!} wrote: "Macy wrote: "I know if she did something something like twilight which I loved those books but if Roth did it I wouldn't like it."

I only ever read the first Twilight book, but it was waaaaaaaaaaa..."

He wasn't the books were better than the movie.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely.

message 14: by Rama (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rama LH | 3 comments That what made me believe in this love story , i just hateeee the love triangle it makes me disappointed

message 15: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, I hate choosing sides :/ Ugh! A love triangle drives me insane!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it drives everyone insane-unless it's written/done right, and that doesn't seem to be the norm:P

Maria | 18 comments I get frustrated with love triangles because I feel like the main character is just indecisive. And Tris is a strong determined main character. She woulnd't be Tris is she was torn between to boys. That's just my opinion :P

message 18: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria wrote: "I get frustrated with love triangles because I feel like the main character is just indecisive. And Tris is a strong determined main character. She woulnd't be Tris is she was torn between to boys...."

I'm just like Tris in many ways, especially this one. Just like her, I know what I want and I will get what I want. I'm not saying in a spoiled way, but a determined work hard type of way. Do you follow what I'm trying to say?

Stacey | 3 comments Idk... i feel like tris and four are going to have a fight in the new book.

message 20: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

But they worked though all their fights in the other books too...

Stacey | 3 comments Yeah they did but i feel like for apart of the third book..they're going to be separate because of a fight but not broken up

Owllover | 42 comments Marilyn wrote: "A lot of books that are great tend to have love triangles, for instance The Hunger Games with Katniss having to decide between Gale or Peeta. It bothered me, but wen I read Divergent I liked it mor..."
Yes, I do. I hope they won't break up in the third book and I also hope that some new character isn't introduced and Tris has to choose between them. The reason I brought that up is because Veronica Roth introduced that there is going to be a new male character in Allegiant.

message 23: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah supposedly similar to her (Roth's) brother

Owllover | 42 comments Well, her brother-in-law, not technically her brother. Sorry for the technicality there...

message 25: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Owllover wrote: "Well, her brother-in-law, not technically her brother. Sorry for the technicality there..."

Yeah, it's hard to type when you're using a phone and when you're busy too so I shortened it a bit, but you're right.

Owllover | 42 comments I'm on my phone, too. I'm just naturally kind of technical. Sorry!

message 27: by Marilyn, ♥♥♥♥♥I love Four/Tobias!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥ (new) - rated it 5 stars

No no that's fine. It's just I don't use internet like this on my phone so I make things written more choppy.

Maria | 18 comments Marilyn wrote: "Maria wrote: "I get frustrated with love triangles because I feel like the main character is just indecisive. And Tris is a strong determined main character. She woulnd't be Tris is she was torn be..."

EXACLTY

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 20, 2014 09:04PM) (new)

Apparently they are adding a character to make a love triangke in insurgent. One my friends said they are adding a guy name "edgar" in the Insurgent movie who is supposed to be Tris's other love interest, whether this is true idk but my reaction was: "NO!! WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT TO TOBIAS!!!!