Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > I am Legend

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments I really loved this book. For some reason this year I've been really into end of the world scary books. My husband really wanted to see the movie starring Will Smith. I went along because I like scary movies too but mostly because I loved the book. I was so disappointed! The only things the movie had in common with the book were the title, the main character's name and the fact that all the people turned into monster things from a virus. Basically they changed the story so much I don't think it should have retained the title of the book. I really should know better. Usually if I love a book I avoid the movie like the plague.

Did anyone else read the book and see the movie? Did you have a different opinion about it?

message 2: by 'ro (new)

'ro Maina (roality) | 1 comments Haven't seen the movie yet (and really don't plan to - at least not in the theatres). This was the third attempt at making a movie from the book ("The Last Man on Earth" (1964) and "The Omega Man" (1971) were the previous ones).

I got the book a few years back and read it a couple of times and really liked it(both the main novella and the other stories) and was SO excited when I heard about the movie...until I found out who was playing Neville.

Don't get me wrong, I like Will Smith and think he's a good actor (though I couldn't see it until "Six Degrees of Separation") but, for me anyway, pretty much every movie he's in becomes a "Will Smith vehicle."

Forget the original book/story (if there was one) forget the other actors, it's all about Will.

This is not necessarily a bad thing...but, seeing as how this was the third try at turning a great book into a movie, I think more focus could have been put on the translation and the movie itself and not just the STAR of the movie, you know?

I'm sure I'll rent it at some point. And I'll probably enjoy it too. But I know it won't be anything like what I read and enjoyed so much...

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony (RadioFreeRlyeh) | 3 comments The current movie version is more a remake of "Omega Man" than it is an adaption of the story. As flawed as "Last Man on Earth" was, it came closest I think to trying to express Matheson's intent. When I saw that they were using the original title, I had some measure of hope that they might actually try to tell Matheson's story, but alas, no.
Visually, the backgrounds of the film are impressive. But the character himself for someone who supposed survived the plague for three years, is dumb as a rock. I will leave it at that.
Not a bad movie, just a REALLY bad adaption of a great story.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I'm not going to waste my money going to the theatre to see I Am Legend, but I might catch it on Starz whenever it comes on.

I was also excited to see it until I learned who was playing lead and saw the trailer. WTH? It's been a while since I read the book, but I mainly remember the character in the book being holed up in his house because of the vampires. I don't remember him cruising a metropolis (or is it necropolis in this case?), although I'm sure he ventured out during the day.

Will Smith is an OK actor, but I agree that any movie he's in it turns into a LOOK AT ME! vehicle for him.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I found I enjoyed the movie more by putting the novel out of my head as much as possible. Once that was done, I could view it as just another mindless action flick.