Dan Brown discussion

Your favorite Dan Brown book and why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I confess I've only read DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. The latter being my fave of the two. I hear it's coming out at a movie. I hope it will not disappoint like the DaVinci Code movie did. What's your favorite Dan Brown book?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've now also read "Deception Point." Wow, he is the real deal for an excellent writer. This book would make a fabulous movie. I hope Ron Howard keeps up the Dan Brown movie and makes this one for the big screen! Any one else read this one, how did you like it>

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

READ IT! You'll LOVE it!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 69 comments Annette, I've read them all and still have to say that The Da Vinci Code was my favorite. I'd say Angels & Demons was my second favorite, followed by Deception Point. How many days until The Lost Symbol is released? After waiting 6 years it's hard to believe the wait is almost over!

message 5: by Craig (new)

Craig Stratton | 2 comments Angels and Demons was my favorite. I have not seen the movie but I plan to re-read the book before I see it. That book had everything.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd say Angels and Demons and Deception Point a tie.
Deception Point was much easier to read. While I appreciate and respect him as an author with all the research he does. I even wish he'd put in a bibliography to look some of the details up!

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet Wilcox (jkwilcox) | 21 comments Annette wrote: "I'd say Angels and Demons and Deception Point a tie.
Deception Point was much easier to read. While I appreciate and respect him as an author with all the research he does. I even wish he'd put ..."

I think that is a great suggestion for Mr. Brown. It would help his readers as they try to glean truth from fiction, and save "experts" from having to do it. I've read all of his books (except for two he wrote with his wife), but Da Vinci was the first which hooked me. Think I like it the best, and loved going to the Louvre where much was filmed. Even though I realize his books are fiction -- I can't help but consider them historical fiction, as the settings are real and couched in fact.
Just found out that he also co-wrote a humour book with his wife, 187 Men to Avoid: A Guide for the Romantically Frustrated Woman, under the pseudonym "Danielle Brown". Their other one together was The Bald Book, hmmm wonder if my hubby would like that any better?

Brown states on his website that his books are not anti-Christian, though he is on a 'constant spiritual journey' himself, and says of his book The Da Vinci Code that it is simply "an entertaining story that promotes spiritual discussion and debate" and suggests that the book may be used "as a positive catalyst for introspection and exploration of our faith". I think the same could be said for Lost Symbols, which I also greatly enjoyed, but for different reasons. If I were Catholic, Da Vinci would be cause for discussion, as I'm not Lost Symbols holds more meaning for me.

It seems his wife is a mover and a shaker, and the prime researcher in his novels--from whence springs his strong heroine personas in his novels, I assume.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Janet wrote: "Annette wrote: "I'd say Angels and Demons and Deception Point a tie.
Deception Point was much easier to read. While I appreciate and respect him as an author with all the research he does. I eve..."

His extensive research deserves to be included as a bibliography. Also, people curious can automatically look up the source and find out more. The way it is, he says they're fiction with factual elements. This can be quite disturbing when in the realm that causes people to question their Faith. In a sense, he is playing Devil's Advocate. I do like his books, but they very well could mislead...and a bibliography would help greatly those who question something that shakes their faith, as only facts would be noted in a bibliography. Any shady areas where religious history is touched upon, I am quite sure Brown would then leave as "fiction" even if he would've found some evidence that it may be fact. Actually, this would give him carte blanche on people's beliefs. He could come up with a whole new religion, with a fictional doctrine, totally fictional history that would be very flexible for stories that don't offend any one religion now. There's a challenge for D. Brown! But actually, I'd like to read more like Deception Point...that was free of such religious implications, and a very good story!

message 9: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 3 comments Da Vinci code.
i really love this book.its very exciting and well-written.and the information that it gives the reader about Leonardo Da Vinci,the primary of Seyon,etc is SO interesting and perfect.

message 10: by Clysta (new)

Clysta (CaliSimancek) | 2 comments I come from a city in the midwest that is heavy into religion so I was particularly interested when I started reading Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. When one of my fanatical friend's noticed my reading choice a lecture of how I was going to hell for reading such a terrible book ensued. I had to remind the person (who hadn't even picked up the book let alone read it) that is was a work of fiction. I find it funny that some people can't differentiate between fiction and reality when it comes to literature.

Anyway, my favorite book is The DaVinci Code... It hit on some interesting suggestions about the missing time between Jesus being 12 and 33. I don't say I believe it but I think the possibility is interesting...

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments Just found this group and glad to see some dan brown fans on here :)

I've only read The DaVinci Code and I'm almost done with Angels & Demons.

I haven't finished the book yet but I think I may like it better than the DaVinci Code. Both of these books have sucked me into the story and puzzles and I can't put them down!

message 12: by Waqar (new)

Waqar (wacar) | 1 comments well for me he gives u a knowledge which u get by reading 100 books.hes simply amazing.

message 13: by Jared (new)

Jared Pyatt (jaredpyatt) | 2 comments Angels & Demons wins my vote. I finished The Lost Symbol last night and it was good, however, not the page turner like A&D. I wasn't able to get into the first half of The Lost Symbol like I could Angels and Demons...in fact, I read A&D cover-to-cover while on my honeymoon! Couldn't put it down...the intrigue with religion, science and secret societies kept me turning.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 69 comments On your honeymoon! What did your new spouse think of that? I'm sticking with The Da Vinci Code - The first Dan Brown book I read, Angels & Demons is second on my list :-)

message 15: by Jared (last edited Dec 29, 2009 11:13AM) (new)

Jared Pyatt (jaredpyatt) | 2 comments Dustin wrote: "On your honeymoon! What did your new spouse think of that? I'm sticking with The Da Vinci Code - The first Dan Brown book I read, Angels & Demons is second on my list :-)"

Yeah, we honeymooned in the Carribean on USVI St. John. We took a week after the wedding and just relaxed. We both brought a book to enjoy while we R&R. So I didn't get into too much trouble :-) Dustin, have you read The Lost Symbol yet?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 69 comments Ok :-) I thought that was probably the case. Yes, I've read The Lost Symbol - I started a thread in this group on it (the one with the most comments in the group :-) and commented as I was going through the book. I didn't like it nearly as much as some of Brown's other books. Of Browns 5 novels I'd rank it either 4 or 5 - I can't decide - I'll probablly have to re-read Digital Fortress.My top 3 are Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, and Deception point in that order.

message 17: by Mutia (new)

Mutia Salma | 2 comments All the Dan Brown books are excellent! sometimes i just doubt, how He can know so much like that..

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments I'm currently reading Deception Point and it took me a while to really get into it (about 100 pages into it) but its getting better :)

message 19: by Rajan (new)

Rajan Kumar (RajanKumar) | 5 comments I have read only Da Vinci Code and I love this book because Dan Brown narrates amazing facts about religion with the help of a terrific thriller story.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna wrote: "I'm currently reading Deception Point and it took me a while to really get into it (about 100 pages into it) but its getting better :)"

It does take awhile to get into, but differs some from his other books. Unique. Let me know what you thought about it after you're done!

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments Finished Deception Point the other day. Definitly not my favorite from Dan Brown--I still think Angels and Demons takes the top spot. I did enjoy this book. After a rough start I finally got into it and got caught up in the story/action and twists. It was intersting to see how far one would go to cover up the truth--and whom they would put at risk! Once the action started it definitly didn't stop till the end and I loved that!

The only complaint I have besides the slow start is Brown's need to trow in a romance in the end--I really don't think its necessary and I hope its not something he will continue in his future books.

message 22: by Frankie (new)

Frankie | 4 comments i have read all of dan browns books, and all of my friends think i'm crazy. first for actually reading da vinci code and secondly enjoying it.
but saying that i think angels and demons is my favioute, closly followed by deception point.

angels and demons was the book that got me in to dan brown so i may be a little bias. but i found the story very exciting and loved the religous twist to it. i also like the fact that that he included a little romance between robert and victoria, but i don't think they should have slept together (especially since he had just jumped out a plane the night before).

i also like the movie, but it didn't compare to the book, as it missed to much out. however if it had truly stayed to the story, i would have hated it for not being good enough and doing things wrong.

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate Miley | 1 comments i have read them all

but my favorite dan brown book is DaVinci Code

message 24: by Taha (new)

Taha Waked | 3 comments i read all of them.. Angels and Demons is the best for sure.!

message 25: by Fatima (new)

Fatima Al-Quwaie (Fatima_sq) | 1 comments I've read them all, but The Da Vinci Code is the best.

I am a Muslim and I love to read about other religions
The more I read the more universally respected by
I liked the plot of the novel ... Although we - Muslims - do not believe what came in the novel, but I like it as a fictional story, & it really is... :)

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drunk-fish) | 1 comments Da vinci codewas the first one I read and was the best, I have read all f his books and the rest just seemed like cheap imatations in comparrison. The film didnt touch the book not even close

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 69 comments Sarah wrote: "Da vinci codewas the first one I read and was the best, I have read all f his books and the rest just seemed like cheap imatations in comparrison. The film didnt touch the book not even close"

I agree with you :-) Da Vinci Code was the very best and I've been very disappointed in the films but have enjoyed all his books except The Lost Symbol - I think because we had to wait so damn long and it didn't really live up to expectations. To me The Lost Symbol seemed like an apology for The Da Vinci Code.

message 28: by Mike (new)

Mike Sawson | 29 comments Enjoyed all five of the "Dan" Brown novels. Angels & Demons being the best one. I thought the media outcry was hilarious, trying in vain to disprove some of the controversy. I doubt most of those experts finished the book, cuz it sounded to me like they didn't get it..

message 29: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie | 1 comments I have only read 3 of Dan Brown's novels, but I have to admit that Angels & Demons is my favourite by far.

The Lost Symbol just wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, and The Da Vinci Code was also quite good, but still not my favorite

message 30: by Navisan (new)

Navisan | 1 comments I have read all of Dan Brown's novels, but both Angels & Demons and The Lost Symbol are my favorites!
It's about combination between the plot and sharp point of analysis, then the result is great story!

message 31: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 1 comments I am so glad I found this discussion :) a recent Dan Brown fan I admit - my first book being Angels and Demons and second being The Da Vinci Code. Well I never expected to enjoy his stories, I forced myself to read his work just to see what the fuss was about and now I can honestly say, I'm a little hooked!!
The Da Vinci Code is my favourite so far and call me weird, but I love the character of Silas!! he is so fascinating and such a tragic character - a brutal, evil assassin yes...but still, when you read his history it's just so sad :( all he needed was a fair chance in life! I love it when a character brings out all kinds of emotions in me and the character of Silas (plus Teabing) did just that. I enjoyed the movie also, albeit it naturally felt rushed, but I felt Paul Bettany nailed the character of Silas for me and I just LOVE all the interesting theories Dan Brown's books are packed with!!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Imran: Try Deception Point. That's a goodie without being into the religious stuff.

Danielle: I love Paul Bettany! You're right, he was great in it. And loved him as Geoffrey Chaucer in the odd "A Knight's Tale," and the ship's doctor on "Master and Commander," and pretty good considering the movie in "Firewall." VERY good in "A Beautiful Mind," and VERY good in "Creation" as Charles Darwin. He is very flexible, but it was cool he played albino type on Da Vinci Code. He is so flexible-very good actor. Cute butt on A Knight's Tale! (Me-an aging lady looking at his bare butt! LOL!!!)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 69 comments Amr wrote: "Deception Point. Thumbs down for the lost symbol."

Good. I felt that way too - glad it wasn't just me. Maybe sometime I'll try The Lost Symbol again...Maybe.

Does anyone know if Dan Brown is working on a new book? Just curious and I hope we don't have to wait 6 years between books this time, then maybe I won't be quite as disappointed as I was with The Lost Symbol.

message 34: by Mike (new)

Mike Sawson | 29 comments Dustin Crazy wrote: "Does anyone know if Dan Brown is working on a new book? Just curious and I hope we don't have to wait 6 years between books this time, then maybe I won't be quite as disappointed as I was with The Lost Symbol"

Dan hinted his next book will be about the LaScala OperaHouse which is in Milan, Italy. He also said his wife would divorce him if this book takes 5 years.

Right now he is writing the screenplay for LostSymbol. I sure hope Opie doesn't direct it. I really liked the book, LostSymbol, why is everyone so down on it? It was better than Digital Fortress.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 69 comments Mike wrote: "He also said his wife would divorce him if this book takes 5 years.
"

Good :-)

I'll look forward to reading it. I haven't liked the film adaptations of Dan Brown's books so far - hope the Lost Symbol movie is better without so many unnecessary changes to the story.

Maybe I'll give The Lost Symbol another try sometime :-)

message 36: by D.T. (new)

D.T. | 1 comments Da Vinci code was my favorite, but probably because it was the first one of Dan Brown's that I read. I found it totally absorbing. Unfortunately, the last couple that I read (Lost Symbol, Digital Fortress), I liked less, mainly because they were a bit predictable (because they follow a similar formula to previous). While I'm still a fan, I hope he changes the formula a bit to make it less predictable.

message 37: by Mike (new)

Mike Sawson | 29 comments Daniel wrote: "Da Vinci code was my favorite, but probably because it was the first one of Dan Brown's that I read. I found it totally absorbing. Unfortunately, the last couple that I read (Lost Symbol, Digital..."

I thought Angels&Demons was his best.. It was my first, too.. The movie was horrible, read the book.. Its the first of the Robert Langdon series..

message 38: by Rahul (new)

Rahul Sharma (Severeus) | 1 comments The Da Vinci Code is my favourite. The second place goes to The Deception Point. Digital Fortress is his worst work, probably because it was his first work.

message 39: by Tim (new)

Tim Asbury | 1 comments The Da Vinci Code is also my favorite. It's good to see a Dan Brown group because I get a lot of guff for liking his work from some of my fellow readers.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 69 comments Tim wrote: "The Da Vinci Code is also my favorite. It's good to see a Dan Brown group because I get a lot of guff for liking his work from some of my fellow readers."

:-) Ditto... on everything.

message 41: by Maeve (new)

Maeve (maeve_) | 2 comments Exactly my question, too :)

Mutia wrote: "All the Dan Brown books are excellent! sometimes i just doubt, how He can know so much like that.."

message 42: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cherian | 2 comments i've read every book he's written till today n now he's irritating me because he stopped writing .............. dan brown if u read this pls write another book i'm dying to read

message 43: by Donna (new)

Donna  | 5 comments the Da Vinci Code is my favorite. I loved the psychology behind it.
My second favorite was Angels And Demons
my third...Lost Symbol...I haven't read anything else by him yet..

message 44: by Noura (new)

Noura (NooNiiLee) | 3 comments I read all his books, currently reading Digital Fortress.
But my fav was Deception Point amazing!!!

message 45: by Losen (new)

Losen (LosenFlowers) Favourite would have to be the Da Vinci Code.
Followed by Angels and Demons, then Digital Fortress, Deception Point and the Lost Symbol.

message 46: by Kel (new)

Kel (kelogsguitarz) | 1 comments i like them all. but i'm really hooked with Digital Fortress. :D

message 47: by Sohaib (new)

Sohaib (Sohaib-l) | 2 comments I read all his books... I loved them all... The Da vinci Code was special, but I love more the Lost Symbole...

message 48: by Ranjani (new)

Ranjani | 1 comments My favourite is Digital Fortress. Amazing !!

message 49: by Noura (new)

Noura (NooNiiLee) | 3 comments Deception Point>Digital Fortress>Da Vinci Code>Angels & Demons>The Lost Symbol :)

message 50: by Dina (new)

Dina fawzy (dina_88) | 1 comments Digital Fortress the most magnificent of them all Full of breathtaking detail,Full of exotic and exciting information , the characters are very odd and phenomenal all in all awesome novel i hope the next one will be as greet as this one

« previous 1