Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Diane U and Sarah❀ Secrets by Kristen Heitzmann

Comments (showing 1-37 of 37) (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (LoveBeingVegan) | 7710 comments Mod
❀Diane U and Sarah❀ Secrets by Kristen Heitzmann

message 2: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Sarah, I have about 30% left of the current book that I am reading. I should be done tomorrow. I have to take my dad into surgery for a torn tendon in his knee. That's some quality quiet reading time while waiting. I'll let you know when I am ready to start it!

message 3: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments Thanks for letting me know! I started it yesterday, but am only at about 3%. I didn't realize it was so long... over 400 pages! I hope I don't read too slow for you. lol

message 4: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) You'll be fine, don't worry about your reading speed. I'm not a fast reader either.

message 5: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments I hope your dad's surgery goes well!

message 6: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Yes it did! We were there at 9:15 and I was pulling the car around at 12:20 to head home. It was really quick!

message 7: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments I'm glad to hear that. Praying for his recovery!

message 8: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Okay, I am ready to start it!

message 9: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments Good! I think I'm on chapter 3 right now. How do you want to do this? Should we just post whenever we have something to say about it? Should we post after reaching specified points in the book (like after every chapter, or every 5 chapters, or something like that)? What do you think?

message 10: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I have read 3% so far. Let's just talk about things as they come up keeping it informal.

So let me get this straight, Lance took off to a convent in Italy to find a friend of his grandmother based on what his dying grandmother was trying to communicate to him. Right? That's odd, especially since she cannot communicate.

message 11: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments Yeah. I thought that was a little odd that he went, not knowing what he was looking for or why.

What do you think of Lance so far?

message 12: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) From what I have read, I feel that he must not be married, no kids and no job to be able to run off to Italy on the spur of the moment. So far, I think his character is rather "flat" but I am hoping it will improve as I read more.

message 13: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments The author doesn't really go into much detail about him. I get the feeling he's sort of a street-wise rebel sort of guy.

message 14: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I am now at 11%. I am really starting to like Lance. He does make me hungry though. Rese is cool too. She is a strong, independent and professional woman. It'll be interesting to see what develops between them.

message 15: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments Haven't had a chance to read for the last couple of days. I'll try to catch up over the weekend! :)

message 16: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) No problem, take your time! :)

message 17: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments So far I've been impressed with Lance's patience with Rese. And I can really relate to Rese's perfectionism. :)

message 18: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments I'm at 15% now. I'm really curious about Evvy. I think she probably has something big to add to the story of Lance's family.

message 19: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments I believe I'm caught up to you now, just finished chapter 9 at 21%.

message 20: by Diane U (last edited Oct 23, 2012 08:42AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I am mid-way through chapter 10. It is sort of frustrating how Lance and Rese get irritated with the other because they are assuming what the other is thinking. Like with Lance getting quiet over the fact that Rese does not comment about his meals that he has made her. Lack of communication in a story always gets me going. Just talk!!!

message 21: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments I agree! I wonder why Rese is so silent when it comes to Lance's cooking though. Possibly just not the type to give compliments.
It seems as though the author is hinting that something bad happened to Rese's dad. And her memories of her mom seem a little strange.... Definitely keeping my interest.

message 22: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments So what are your thoughts on Star?

message 23: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Well, she's got lots of issues. I am on chapter 17 where Rese explained some of Star's troubles to Lance so I already now. She is very expressive of herself. She's a little more than I could handle.

What do you think about Sybil?

message 24: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments I'm half way through chapter 18 right now. I feel so bad for Star. I've known children who were in similar situations. It breaks my heart. I don't know that I could handle her as an adult. I get the feeling that Rese does only because they grew up together.

Sybil.... I don't like her. She's the kind of woman I would warn my guy friends and brothers away from. And I can't help wondering if her family was involved in the shooting and the reason it was hushed up.

message 25: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I agree, Sybil seems to be hiding something.

message 26: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Oooh, chapter 21 was a good one, a break-thru (almost)! Let me know when you finish it so we can talk!

message 27: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments Just finished chapter 21. Wow.... I'm finding it hard to put the book down!

message 28: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Yeah it is getting better the more you read.

message 29: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments I can't say I was completely surprised to hear that her mother was alive. The way Star acted toward Lance with the whole sweatshirt thing made me a little uneasy about her. Do you think there's something to that?

message 30: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) It wouldn't surprise me but you'll have to keep reading to find out.

message 31: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments You've probably finished the book by now! I'm sorry. We've had so much going on that I've only been able to read an hour or so before bed every night. It's torture because I don't want to put it down! lol

message 32: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) No I have not finished the book yet. I am only on 55% - Chapter 24. I did not read at all this weekend or Monday. I was able to read a couple of pages last night until I realized that I was sleeping. I read on my lunch at work so that guarantees me about 1/2 an hour of reading.

I agree, it is getting good too! I just finished making a baby quilt this weekend so I think I may read a little more after work before dinner instead of working on something new. My sewing machine has requested a break anyways! LOL! :)

message 33: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I am at 58% right now.

I have to put it aside. I just realized that I have my neighborhood book club on Thursday and I have to at least start the book. I hate not reading it because I feel like the loser of the group if I don't. I will continue with Secrets after Thursday! I hope you understand!

message 34: by sarah (new)

sarah | 27 comments No problem. Completely understand. I have one chapter left. I'm really not ready for it to end. I've enjoyed this book so much! And to think my sister told me she didn't think I'd like it. :) I will probably go ahead and finish, but we can still talk about it when you pick it back up.

message 35: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Thanks! I always forget about my neighborhood book club until about a week before our meeting. It's rather informal but I hate to be a slacker! :)

message 36: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Good news! No one has read the book for my neighborhood book club so we have pushed it out another month. I can now finish our book!!! I'll be reading it at lunch today!

message 37: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I finished it today!

Overall, I thought it was okay. In the end, Rese was really starting to annoy me with her "issues". I know that she just found out that her mother was really alive and all but she was just too emotionally cold. Lance ended up being a really nice guy who I feel truly cared for Rese and her business even if he showed up with other ideas on his mind. I loved how he kept delivering a new recipe to her near the end after he left so that she would not fail.

I am glad that we read this but I am happier that it was a freebie and I did not pay for it. I gave it 3 stars!