Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Let me keep my shelves set to 100 per page

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile) (liannelavoie) | 171 comments When the infinite scroll option showed up, I was thrilled, and I've used that ever since. But recently I've found the 100 books per page setting the most useful. But the only way you can get a setting to stick is to change it in the shelf settings, and the only options in there are 10, 20, 30, and infinite scroll.

Why are the 40, 50, 75, and 100 books per page options not available to save? I switched it to 30 in the settings to make it easier to switch to 100 each time, but it would be really nice if it would just stay where I want it.

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Why are the 40, 50, 75, and 100 books per page options not available to save?"

Because loading that many at a time is a server drain.

message 3: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Oct 12, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

Experiment BL626 | 423 comments So why offer the options to begin with, if not for convenience?

message 4: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
This is the balance that was decided on.

message 5: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments Perhaps it would be more useful to save, for example, 10, 50 and 100. 10,20,30 is hardly enough different to matter.

Let's hear the company-speak on this one :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) MissJessie wrote: "Perhaps it would be more useful to save, for example, 10, 50 and 100. 10,20,30 is hardly enough different to matter.

Let's hear the company-speak on this one :)"

I always use 30 and wouldn't want that taken away.

Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile) (liannelavoie) | 171 comments Since I always switch it to 100 when I visit the page anyway, it doesn't seem like it would make a difference to the servers, but you know more about people's patterns on the site than I do, so I'll take your word for it! Thanks for the explanation, rivka!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SarahJF1984) | 131 comments I would also like the 100 books per page to stick and when you said that keeping the 100 books per page option as a permanent option is too much of a drain on the server, I wondered isn't having the infinite scroll a big drain on the server as well, especially for someone like me who has 2500+ books.

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1461 comments Sarah wrote: "I would also like the 100 books per page to stick and when you said that keeping the 100 books per page option as a permanent option is too much of a drain on the server, I wondered isn't having th..."

infinite scroll only loads 30 at a time, it just loads another 30 every time you scroll down far enough.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3395 comments Inf. scroll is as slow as 30/time, too. I'd love 100 to be sticky - someday!

message 11: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl At least 100 should be sticky per internet session; it should last until you log out. It's unbelievably annoying to have to reset from 30 to 100 again and again and again in the same internet session.

message 12: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Maybe the cash infusion from Amazon could help buy some new servers to reduce the drain.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 568 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Maybe the cash infusion from Amazon could help buy some new servers to reduce the drain."

Nonsense. It's been earmarked for champagne and hookers. The private island gets lonely at night.

message 14: by Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Nov 12, 2013 09:08AM) (new)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 2066 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Maybe the cash infusion from Amazon could help buy some new servers to reduce the drain."

No kidding. There's so much talk still on why new features which are difficult to implement must take more time or never come to be, why things are slow to fix, server issues, but Goodreads isn't the tiny company it once was with beginning popularity. This was especially true BEFORE the buy-out, and it's certainly more true now.

But, regardless, another answer that it won't happen because of GR limitations. Personally I'd think the infinite scroll would be a bigger drain with huge shelves, even if it loads only 30 books at a time, just because of the way it seems to work and is slow anyway.

I think most users would be happy leaving it at a smaller number than 100 in the long run, but having that option would be nice.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8934 comments I miss it being set, and staying, at 200 per page.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (NyxReadsStuff) | 12 comments I would also really like to be able to set 100 as the default for my shelves

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (BookwormHannah) | 748 comments If I don't use infinite scroll, I use 100 for sorting. Why is there even an option for 10 or 20? With that few, you're practically loading pages every other minute.

200 would be an excellent option to have!

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1461 comments Hannah wrote: "If I don't use infinite scroll, I use 100 for sorting. Why is there even an option for 10 or 20? With that few, you're practically loading pages every other minute.

200 would be an excellent optio..."

Because the original designers only read 10-20 books a year.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I like 30 myself. I never use 100. Too many. But as to 10, I've seen it really easy to verify the number on a shelf. 10 x the number of pages minus one plus the number of titles on the last page.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1461 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I like 30 myself. I never use 100. Too many. But as to 10, I've seen it really easy to verify the number on a shelf. 10 x the number of pages minus one plus the number of titles on the last page."

Counting books is pretty much the only time I don't use 100.

Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile) (liannelavoie) | 171 comments Counting books is when I most like the 100 per page setting. But then I am usually looking at very large shelves. I periodically keep track of how many books are on my large to-read shelf that I added in 2009 (the year I joined Goodreads) and each subsequent year. Things like that.

message 22: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I would like all settings to stick per session - no. of items display and columns on the bookshelves. On my phone I would like when I select 'desktop site' that all links then open into desktop site instead of reverting every single time to mobile.

message 23: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Emily | 2115 comments Mod
Petra X wrote: "I would like all settings to stick per session - no. of items display and columns on the bookshelves. On my phone I would like when I select 'desktop site' that all links then open into desktop sit..."

Thanks, all, for posting here! We'll pass your comments on to the development team.

message 24: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Thank you. The desktop one is such a pain I only bother with GR on a mobile device when I am stuck in a queue in a place with wi-fi!

Happy New Year Emily.

message 25: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Emily | 2115 comments Mod
Happy 2017! Hope you had a lovely holiday season.