Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Labiodental fricative

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

This was an interesting story this morning on my somewhat late and stress-filled drive to CSU. More interesting was the newfound knowledge that its not pronounced with the labiodental fricative neander-THAll but instead ne-ander-tall.

This was as groundbreaking to my idiolect as the day NPR taught me that mischievous isn't pronounced with the middle syllable rhyming with cheese, but handkerchief.

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments so how do you say mischievous?

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Mis -chef - us.

Not mis -chieev -ieous.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have heard that now that you mention it. i thought they were just being uppity like saying "vass" instead of "vase"

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Tomayto, tomahto.

here's an uppitymaker I can't stomach: Dayta vs. Dahta.

message 6: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Who in the world says Dahta? That is one that I've never heard before.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

The phD holding dude who presented his "dahta" to our educational technology class last night, for one.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, it is supposed to be pronounced like the android from STNG's name

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

What is STNG?

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments star trek next generation. i am really not a trekkie. i'm not. i just knew that

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments But weren't you referencing Lt. Uhura on the Kindle thread, Kevin?

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

He's a pompous windbag, that Kevin.

*chases with Lysol bottle at the ready*

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments People who go nuts over the usage of data/datum make me laugh.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah jackie but i am not a trekkie.

[dangit, this sure looks like i am....it is hard to see this keyboard with this Klingon mask on though:]

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Kevin wrote: "yeah jackie but i am not a trekkie.

[dangit, this sure looks like i am....it is hard to see this keyboard with this Klingon mask on though:]"

It's okay to admit it, Kevin. You're among friends here.

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Does labiodental fricative sound dirty to anyone else? ...nah, me neither.

So does anyone know when the thing that you put flowers in went from being a vayse to a vahz? I never received the memo on that one.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, me neither (shut yur mouth)

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Make it so, Number One.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.