The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > I Capture the Castle (spoilers will be within!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) haha, I love how you explained what other movies those actors/actresses have been in. Now I do want to see the movie, Riley-from-Buffy dude is pretty hot!

Putting that aside...I'm excited to start this! Once I finish what I'm reading, I'll start it...either tonight or tomorrow.

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I am starting tomorrow, so be ready. Depending on who all reads with us, we may have to post Estrogen, or Hormones! I guess we can see how it goes.

It's a very pretty book. I took it out of the paper and the drawer, and it is on my nightstand. We must all have the same cover, because that's th only one I have seen.

message 3: by Kandice (last edited Feb 13, 2009 10:37AM) (new)

Kandice Well I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith is the one I have, and in 2 stores, I didn't see another. Mine is much prettier than yours. (sorry!) It looks old, and elegant!

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Yep Kandice, that is the one I have as well.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Yay! Allison are you reading with us? Hooray! We seem to have so much fun together.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I am super excited-I have been planning on reading it for awhile, and hearing that you guys are reading it was all the inspiration I needed to go buy it :-)

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Yay! I was going to ask if you were still planning on reading on the 14th, but didn't know where to post the question. I am ready to get started!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Fiona, is this your dream or what ??

LOL

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think we should pray Miss Fiona never decides to switch from a book pusher to a drug pusher! She's pretty good at this;)

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Hey...don't count your chickens, missy. I haven't actually READ anything you've suggested yet. I might hate it.

I might end up telling you to shove both ICTC AND Howl's.

Probably not though.

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I'm pretty easy. I'll take what anybody's got.

...I mean dealing with books, of course.

message 12: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) *starting*

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) haha, I haven't started it yet! I have to drag myself off the computer first...

I'm impressed Fiona, you're up late (umm...I think it is late there anyway, but I'm bad with time zones)...The Loop must be good.

message 14: by Allison (last edited Feb 13, 2009 08:43PM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) *****SPOILERS CHAPTER 1-2*************

So...I doubt if I really spoil anything, but still...
I LOVE these characters already. Obviously, not that much has happened yet-but Cassandra makes such a great narrator, she has already made me fall in love with her family...although the jury is still out on Rose.

I'm ready for everyone else to get going!!

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Oh my goodness...I just watched the Gaskell's North and South miniseries...it was absolutely lovely! I am definitely going to have to get that book now. Have you guys read it?

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Allison wrote: "Oh my goodness...I just watched the Gaskell's North and South miniseries...it was absolutely lovely! I am definitely going to have to get that book now. Have you guys read it?"

That is a terrific series, and yes, I've read the book. I have a super old copy, and the cloth on the cover is falling apart. It's one of those "well loved" books.

message 17: by Kandice (last edited Feb 14, 2009 07:37AM) (new)

Kandice I began this morning!

**************CHAPTER 3********************

Fiona-Cassandra is so charming! I don't know if you have read Daddy Long Legs, but she reminds me of Jerusha. That is one of my all time favorites, so I am very happy to "meet" this" character.
I always wonder, in these sorts of books, where the heck do these, kind of, crotchety old men find these beautiful, young women to love and adore them?
I can tell, already, I am really going to like it, so you an rest a little easier;) I am looking forward to the kids being gone tomorrow so I can really read.
Thanks Fi
Daddy Long Legs Daddy Long Legs  by Jean Webster

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Allison wrote: "Oh my goodness...I just watched the Gaskell's North and South miniseries...it was absolutely lovely! I am definitely going to have to get that book now. Have you guys read it?"

No but it's next on my TBR Allison! Fiona's raved about it as almost like the next P&P so I'm very excited and I already have my library copy!!

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) haha...I liked the North and South miniseries much better than the P & P one...so I am very excited to read the book!

Glad you guys are getting started, and I bet Fiona is too! No more chewing your fingernails girl, at least Kandice and I like it!

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Yeah, I'm excited now to read N&S...I think I'll have to buy it...and probably buy the movie too!

Mr. Thornton was HOT! haha, his character is so much like Mr. Darcy...the whole story reminded me a lot of P&P...I think I might like it better too...there is more TO it, you know? It isn't just a love story.

haha...a North and South thread might have to come next! I think I'll probably read it next, if I buy it. I checked stock online, and Barnes and Noble carries it...so we'll see.

Okay...now I'm off to get back into ICTC!

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Sorry, I have been running around on errands all morning. I haven't read since I last posted. I will not be reading tomorrow because....I AM GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!!!!! My husband gave Darby and I tickets for Valentine's.

********************CHAPTER 2***********************

I AM confused about something. I thought "tea" was a light snack sort of thing, but not really dinner. I always thought you had it around 3 p.m. Why are they having tea, and then that's it until the next day? Is it only because they can not afford 3 meals a day and tea?

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You eat just tea and a boiled egg? You don't eat the egg on a sandwich r crackers? Just one, little egg?

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) ****SPOILERS CHAPTER...uh....8 maybe?********************

Okay I have no clue what chapter I'm on, but I'm in the second "section" of the book, and if the word BEARS doesn't mean anything to you...don't read the rest of my post.

HAHAHAHAHA. I laughed out loud at the escapade at the train station with Rose and the fur coat...too funny. Now the brothers and their mother are at the castle...and I am going back to read.

...Breathe easy, Fiona...I'm liking it :-)

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Oh wow! Yet another silly Yank misconception! I thought it had to have tea, and pretty petit fours or small sandwiches and biscuits (cookies). Too funny!

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I hate tea....the actual drink, not the art of eating.

I just thought I should throw that out there.

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) man...Richard Armitage would make a great Jamie Fraser. Who needs red hair anyway?

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hahahaha, maybe so!

I heard that show sucked though, too bad. He needs to do something else...but he can keep the leather.

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hmm...okay, I'll check that out one of these days.

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) *****SPOILERS CHAPTER 10****************

So this isn't really a spoiler...but I wish Cassandra would just fall in love with Stephen. Forget Simon and Neil...psh.

message 30: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) for real, its very frustrating to me.

message 31: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) mmm, yes, Richard Armitage wrapped in slick leather, with long hair, a smudge of eyeliner and a brooding expression, was the only reason I'd sporadically watch episodes of Robin Hood!
BUT onto the actual topic of this thread...I Capture the Castle is one of my favourite books ever. I read it after I'd watched the movie, thinking 'oh, the movie wasn't too bad, wonder what the book's like', and once I'd finished and come up for air and sunlight, thought WOW. I even managed to convince my mum to read it, and as she doesn't usually deviate from Catherine Cookson or Helen McInnes, this is a big thing. I just found it to be so honest, and couldn't believe that it was written so long ago!

message 32: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) Stephen and all his earnestness makes me want to cry! *SOB*

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice *******************CHAPTER 3******************

I am not as far as Allison, but even as far as I am, you can see how sincere and heartfelt Stephen is! I mean, he was worried about Cassandra being hungry? What sweet, young man would think of that? And I loved how she immediately knew, the only way it could have occurred to him was if he was hungry too. Of course I don't know, but I would be willing to be dollars to doughnuts they end up together!!!! (I'll probably be crossing my fingers for it as I read)

message 34: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie | 140 comments I loved that book and if I hadn't known it was written in 1949, I never would have guessed!

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) ****SPOILERS CHAPTER 10**********

I wish Simon and Neil would get eaten by bears. Seriously, I. DON'T. LIKE. THEM. haha, but only because I'm afraid they'll soon be even more of a distraction from Stephen...one of them at any rate. humph.

So I was reading this in bed last night...and I did NOT want to put it down! I kept trying to read more and more until my eyes finally wouldn't stay open.

Cassandra just has such an honest way of explaining things! And, as J.K. Rowling's review says on the front of my copy, she is so charismatic.

message 36: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) haha-I would love to be described by Cassandra, do you know what I mean?

I can already tell that I'll miss her when I finish.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kandice wrote: "*******************CHAPTER 3******************

I am not as far as Allison, but even as far as I am, you can see how sincere and heartfelt Stephen is! I mean, he was worried about Cassandra being..."

I don't know Kandice, maybe your 16 year-old would! He sounds like a pretty terrific kid.

message 38: by Lisa Julianna (last edited Feb 15, 2009 08:52AM) (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Oh my goodness ladies...I can't keep up with you. LOL
I am still reading Outlander and now you got me wanting to read this one. LOL

message 39: by Allison (last edited Feb 15, 2009 09:11AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) ****SPOILERS CHAPTER 12***************

UGH!!!! I knew she was going to fall in love with one of the brothers. I can feel Stephen slipping away...

But just the same, what a romantic evening :-) The candles...the music...the cold chicken (LOL)...she makes it so easy to imagine.

And for once, it doesn't really matter who she loves, because this story is about being in love with Cassandra anyway.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen)
"And for once, it doesn't really matter who she loves, because this story is about being in love with Cassandra anyway. "

Nicely put, Allison!

message 41: by Allison (last edited Feb 15, 2009 11:03AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) *deep breath* okay...I finished, ladies.

I think I'll wait and give my thoughts when you finish too, because I don't want to ruin anything for anybody.

Now I have to go decide what to read next...

message 42: by Allison (last edited Feb 15, 2009 11:19AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) haha...I promise I will read that soon.

But for now, my own TBR pile is calling.

I just reviewed ICTC...so now I am going to walk to the bookshelf and pick up either:

I Am the Messenger
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
or
Dark Lover

*edit* Okay-I decided on Dark Lover, I need a mindless book for now because I want more time for ICTC to sink in!

message 43: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) The whole book is so..quotable, you're right Fiona. All her little insights are like bits of wisdom.

message 44: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) That cover makes it look like a horror story. Yuck!

All the American covers I've seen on the internet are much better (a girl running into a castle with a blue sky background)! The only one I've actually seen in a shop is the one posted in the beginning of the thread, with the plain green cover.

message 45: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I went to rent it on Netflix and it is unavailable...figures. I put it on hold.

message 46: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) nope, my library actually kinda sucks. Its actually an issue with me-they just built a gorgeous new building, and it is HUGE! But there are like 30 foot gaps between the aisles, and it is just nuts, they need more books.

www.andoverlibrary.org, you can see pictures-but you'll need a magnifying glass to find any books.

message 47: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) *blush* sorry, no more complaining...that is what interlibrary loan is for, after all.

message 48: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Laura wrote: "
"And for once, it doesn't really matter who she loves, because this story is about being in love with Cassandra anyway. "

Nicely put, Allison!"

I admit, he is a pretty lovely young man, (as I blush with pride), but I don't think he is really the norm. I have another boy who is very sweet, but I don't see him being THAT sweet! I'm not much farther because of a super busy weekend, but so far, I LOVE Stephen!

message 49: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I haven't gotten too far yet, 3 chapters, but I do love it. I am going to finish part 1 today.

message 50: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I've only read a tiny bit more on my break, but I am really loving this book Fiona! I do not like that smouldery cover you posted, but I am having a hard time "casting" Cassandra in my head. Does anyone have an actress in mind?

« previous 1 3