Cult of Anoia discussion

Favorite Discworld character (a.k.a - let the fanfest begin!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Meirav (new)

Meirav Rath | 2 comments It's slightly hard for me to decide between Ridcully and DEATH, and it is a very hard choice, isn't it? Who's your favorit character?

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim (astrobleme) | 5 comments Mod
Rincewind - the consummate anti-hero - is my favorite. I like how TP's protagonists aren't the strong, beautiful, rich and powerful. In fact, just about every character I can think of that *is* any of those things turns out to be a villain.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 2 comments Death is by far my favourite character. Whenever he pops up in a story, a smile comes over my face.

I also like the cameos of War, Famine, and Pestilence; especially when they get drunk together.

I agree with Tim on Rincewind too.

message 4: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 6 comments For me the decision falls between Sam Vimes and DEATH…what I can say I have a soft spot for the strong silent brooding type. But I have to say I lean towards DEATH…he has Binky after all.

message 5: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 22 comments It is quite a hard choice. And who doesn't love DEATH? And Susan, of course. But I'd have to say my favorite is a tie between Granny Weatherwax and Tiffany Aching. They both rock my world! And could probably kick my ass, as well. What's not to love?

message 6: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Thompson (morgankt) | 2 comments Hmm... I have to say Vetinari. I think it was the juggling. Though the Death of Rats is a close second.

message 7: by Kymrie (new)

Kymrie Dinsmore (tovath) | 13 comments It is hard to chose between Sam Vimes and Carrot, but since they are in the same books I don't have to.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul (spudleypip) | 2 comments Hey guys im new so be gentle lol my favs have to be sam vimes moist von lipwig and of course cohen i think sam vimes is just the kinda bloke that us sensitive types wish we could be lol i like moist because hes very cunning and much as vetinari likes to think he has him under the thumb he really doesnt
plus i think it takes a pair to go against the likes of vetinari and lastly the luggae purely cause i havent seen it/him in any of the books for a loong time and i think thats a shame

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter | 2 comments definitely Wendell Poones

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 6 comments Welcome Paul...I have to agree the relationship between Vetinari and Moist is hard to ignore. I think you have reminded me to add them to my ever growing list of favorites. I had to add Igor too...his sarcasm and bad familial puns always make me laugh without fail.

message 11: by Aaronichi (new)

Aaronichi | 2 comments If I choose Carrot, I'll feel so bad for Nobby! But what about The Luggage and the Librarian?! I don't want Cohen to kill me for not choosing him, that's for sure. Then there's Gaspode...
too hard to choose...

message 12: by Elyse (last edited Mar 05, 2008 03:27PM) (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 6 comments Just start a list entitled "this particular second of my day was spent smirking at the memory of_________ and they are therefore my favorite; until the next second arrives; that is."

message 13: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) This group seems to be built on making impossible choices. I guess Vimes, Granny Weatherwax, and Death are my favorites.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

DEATH! He's always been my favorite since I first read Mort when it came out... I look for his ALL CAPS VERSE in every TP book with great joy!

message 15: by Zohair (new)

Zohair | 2 comments Very difficult to choose. I'd have to say Death, but then again, I've only read three books!

I did take a peek at The Wee Free Men, and having lived in Scotland for a while, (and having had to wrestle with the accent), i thought those characters were hilarious.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (socr8sjohnson) | 1 comments I like Rincewind, Vimes and DEATH. I haven't read any of the books where DEATH is the main character, and I'm not sure if I like him as anything more than the cameo-comedian he is, which is the only way I've seen him.

I laugh every time I see the Caps lock engaged in a Discworld book. I've mostly followed the Watch Books, so I probably need to check out the DEATH books.

Also, I'm new.

message 17: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 6 comments Very nice to meet you Chris.

message 18: by Briony (last edited May 11, 2008 06:39PM) (new)

Briony (rionybay) Death for sure, but I'm also a big fan of Granny Weatherwax.

(and I just joined, so hi!)

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason Hubbard | 1 comments Hands down Granny Weatherwax. Even Death is a little anxious around her.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The Death of Rats and the librarian.

Honorble mention to Sam Vimes as well.

message 21: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Hi everyone... I'm new here :o)

I love Sam Vimes. I have done since I read "Guards! Guards!" the first time. I have a special affection for Death of Rats because I live with eight female rats. And Nanny Ogg is such a cheeky lady! Vetinari is intriguing. But then there's Ooook! And Granny Weatherwax. They're all fantastic.

message 22: by Chapin (last edited Nov 17, 2008 01:28PM) (new)

Chapin | 4 comments DEATH. Definitely. Although, I really like the 'Witch' characters as well. Most books have the witches as the 'evil' people, but not so in Discworld. I mean, it's hard not to like just about all of the main characters (like Teppic [Pyramids:], even though he was only in one book), but those are my favorite.

message 23: by Libby (new)

Libby | 17 comments There are all pretty amazing. My top three would be DEATH, the Librarian and Greebo - he's more of a sidekick but I love him anyway:
“To Nanny Ogg he was merely a larger version of the little fluffy kitten he had once been. To everyone else he was a scarred ball of inventive malignancy.”

message 24: by Lorna (new)

Lorna The luggage - totally hilarious! He is a destroyer of ancient beasts, and is never lost...just temporarily directionally impared!

message 25: by Christina Stind (new)

Christina Stind | 2 comments DEATH - I love it whenever he's in a book!

But I have to give a shout out to The Luggage and the Librarian as well - and Rincewind was the "hero" who started it all for me so to him as well.

And I loved Carrot when I read Guards Guards so ...

The list goes on and on ...

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary | 7 comments I can see that I am going to have issues trying to pick my favorite discworld character.
I'm on my third book "Equal Rites" and just became aquainted with Granny weatherwax.
Up until now it was between Rincewind and the luggage who now both have competition with Granny Weatherwax.
Can't I just make them all my favorite. :)

message 27: by Libby (new)

Libby | 17 comments What until you get to Wyrd Sisters and Lords and Ladies - Granny Weatherwax just gets better each book! I even named my little black cat Esmeralda ;-) Great character!

message 28: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Hall (the_take) | 17 comments It's way too difficult to pick a single favorite, but I've always had a soft spot for Gaspode. Woof woof, bark and growl...

message 29: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments So many I just love - hard to choose. A tie, I think, because they need one another: Nanny & Granny.

message 30: by Mark (new)

Mark (Mark_Spain) | 2 comments I guess I have to say Vimes. Hands down. I have read that series more than the rest. So I have to pick him. He calls to something in me.

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky | 1 comments Gotta go with Rincewind. I love a cowardly hero who ends up saving the day, sometimes because he's such a coward. I'd like to see a love story between him and Nanny Ogg, personally. ;)

MB (What she read) | 27 comments There is absolutely no way I could choose between Sam Vimes and Granny Weatherwax!

2nd tier: Vetinari, Adorabelle, the Librarian, and Perdita

message 33: by MB (What she read) (last edited Jun 24, 2009 04:42PM) (new)

MB (What she read) | 27 comments Mark wrote: "I guess I have to say Vimes. Hands down. I have read that series more than the rest. So I have to pick him. He calls to something in me."

Yes! He is the quintessential conflicted but ultimately decent man.

And I love the way that Vetinari both recognizes that and uses him as a tool. They make a wonderful partnership.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gough (lapetitechaperonrouge) | 1 comments For me it's Nanny Ogg and The Luggage. Although I think I like Nanny Ogg just a teensy bit more. Probably because of The Hedgehog Song, or The Daughters in Law, or the way she always calls her children "Our Shawn" or "Our Charlene" I had an aunt that used to do that.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I cannot pick a favorite! My top picks are Nanny and Greebo, Vimes, Vetinari, Death and co., Rob Anybody and Daft Wullie, the Librarian.

Okay, I like all of the other characters, too!! I'm not a great Rincewind fan, so I guess it's easier to pick my least favorites!

message 36: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) I like Death but I didn't really like him in Mort. I love Sam Vimes and the all the Night Watch crew, Moist Von Lipwig, Nanny Ogg, Granny Weatherwax, Vetinari, Rincewind, Bursar, Gaspode, Sybil, "Our Shawn"...let's just say it would be easier to list the characters I didn't instantly fall in love with. But if I absolutely had to pick, it would be Vimes. He's just so bull-headed and determined and human. I've rarely come across a character who leaps off the page with such clarity!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Maeve wrote: "I like Death but I didn't really like him in Mort. I love Sam Vimes and the all the Night Watch crew, Moist Von Lipwig, Nanny Ogg, Granny Weatherwax, Vetinari, Rincewind, Bursar, Gaspode, Sybil, "O..."

I second that! I think Thud is my favorite of all the books. I hope we'll see more Vimes, but I don't think he can go much further than he has.

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim | 15 comments Sam and Granny. I would love to read a novel with Sam and Granny solving a crime together. Bad guys beware!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "Sam and Granny. I would love to read a novel with Sam and Granny solving a crime together. Bad guys beware!"

That would be a pairing that might just drive Sam Vimes back to the bottle! :)

message 40: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments I'd love to see Sam and Granny working together. Imagine how Nanny and the Duchess would assist...

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Sybil and Nanny would be great friends! Nanny would probably hit it off with Nobby, too. :)

message 42: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments omg what a wonderful thought! Nanny amd Nobby...she would probably try to give him a good scrubbing. And how about Greebo at the watch house? Do you think he and Angua would square off? The possibilities are marvelous!

message 43: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 22 comments That would be fabulous! I now want to read this non-existent book! Arrg! Perhaps I need to visit the Librarian's library and travel through L-Space to find a universe in which it has already been written. But who hasn't wanted to do that with their favorite authors? :)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Marissa wrote: "That would be fabulous! I now want to read this non-existent book! Arrg! Perhaps I need to visit the Librarian's library and travel through L-Space to find a universe in which it has already bee..."

If I could do that, I would love to see Susan get together with Lobsang!

message 45: by MB (What she read) (last edited Nov 03, 2009 11:15AM) (new)

MB (What she read) | 27 comments Susan with Lobsang... Oooh! Me too.

She had her lost love in Soul Music, but I never really fell for him myself -- too weak.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Lobsang is even better than a box of chocolates! :)

message 47: by Ceiteach (new)

Ceiteach | 2 comments I can't separate them, so I'll go for the double act of Fred n' Nobby.

message 48: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Parker (JGParker) | 10 comments Tim wrote: "Rincewind - the consummate anti-hero - is my favorite. I like how TP's protagonists aren't the strong, beautiful, rich and powerful. In fact, just about every character I can think of that *is* a..."

Lovely observation about the villains! :)

message 49: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Parker (JGParker) | 10 comments Barbm1020 wrote: "omg what a wonderful thought! Nanny amd Nobby...she would probably try to give him a good scrubbing. ."

In her astonishing tin bath! LOL

message 50: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Parker (JGParker) | 10 comments Chris wrote: "I like Rincewind, Vimes and DEATH. I haven't read any of the books where DEATH is the main character, and I'm not sure if I like him as anything more than the cameo-comedian he is, which is the on..."

Reaperman - great book. And Mort. And Hogfather. And Soul Music. All with Death as a main character (some more main than others).

Nerdy-fact: Death appears in every Discworld book - he's the only character to do so.

« previous 1