Bookworms discussion

Monthly Reading Challenges > Group Reads other than Mystery!!

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
Hi, anyone interested in group reads or just Buddy Reads in other genre like Russian Literature or may be classic?

I had few books in mind like War and Peace, Master and Margarita, Dr Zhivago or classics like Of mice and men, One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest etc. or may be you guys can suggest some nice, interesting book for group discussion. If anyone is inetersted please let us know.

message 2: by D. (new)

D. Biswas (Damyanti) | 15 comments I've read Of Mice and Men and wouldn't mind reading it again. One flew Over the Cuckoo's nest is a book I've wanted to read, but never come across. If you're into Russian literature, Chekov's short stories are a true delight.

message 3: by Neena (new)

Let's wait for few more readers, then we can go ahead. I've not read Chekov or One flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. Any book that can be discussed with interest ll be a real pleasure

message 4: by Manish (new)

Manish (manish_chandolia) | 43 comments One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest

message 5: by Alen (last edited Oct 12, 2012 08:14AM) (new)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry for butting in, but why dont you guys dedicate the first group read in this section to a book by any noble laureate?

message 7: by Neena (new)

Thanks for the suggestions Manish and Alen. Let's have more members and then we ll start. I hope everyone is willing to read and take part in discussion here.

@Anirban I'm willing to go for anything that memebrs are interested in reading and discussing in Group Reads. Let's hear from more willing members then we can go ahead.

message 8: by Satish (new)

Satish Jha | 162 comments @ Anirban laurels severely narrow down the choices. And for one thing they started it at the turn of 20th century and dont award noble prize posthumously. I dont think dostovesky or chekhov. ever managed to get the prize and gogol born in a wrong century to make any claim. First book should be memorable beyond bounds of laurels Only merit as seen by the readers not reservation as declared by committees should be the deciding factor.We can always start a new thread to choose a book matching Nobel committee's standard

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

@Satish..actually it was just a suggestion, which just popped up in my mind after hearing Mo Yan winning this year..
Actually, I am not at all qualified to comment on SERIOUS LITERATURE, though I am a voracious reader my tastes run through the dark alleys and by-lanes of Crime Writing. I dont find any satisfaction in strolling the bright boulevards of Literature :D

So, its upto you guys to decide. After all you are better qualified than me in this section :)

message 10: by Satish (new)

Satish Jha | 162 comments Anirban wrote: "@Satish..actually it was just a suggestion, which just popped up in my mind after hearing Mo Yan winning this year..
Actually, I am not at all qualified to comment on SERIOUS LITERATURE, though I a..."

@ Anirban I havent suggested any book in my previous post because I myself am unqualified to do so.I havent read much of russian literature mostly short stories and a single book of dostoevsky Though I like the idea of reading a nobel laureaute and am sure will start a thread soon to choose a good read
regards

message 11: by Satish (new)

Satish Jha | 162 comments @ Saurabh And I thought we were warring to choose something from Russians

message 12: by Neena (new)

Hey guys let's see what majority wants to read for first group read in fiction. It ll be nice to read some interesting book which can be discussed at great length...

message 13: by Satish (new)

Satish Jha | 162 comments Kafka is deadeningly bore Murakami is good option in his genre though some may rightly argue Kafka is original and murakami is influenced by him

but why not start a new thread to see what majority wants to read for first group read in fiction and retain this one to choose a book from a russian author I myself am searching for a good russian book

message 14: by Neena (new)

Satish wrote: "Kafka is deadeningly bore Murakami is good option in his genre though some may rightly argue Kafka is original and murakami is influenced by him

but why not start a new thread to see what majority..."

That's great idea Satish. Actually we were also thinking on the same lines. As we don't have much time for November read we have decided to go ahead with classics. We shall start a poll for december and january asking members ' suggestions about genre.

message 15: by D. (new)

D. Biswas (Damyanti) | 15 comments My Name is Red is an unlikely detective book (it starts with the voice of the murdered man), it is totally literary, and not an easy read. But it is totally worth the effort.Also, it fulfills the Nobel prize requirement :)

message 16: by Satish (new)

Satish Jha | 162 comments Since Russian Literature is lost cause here I also recommend my name is red Pamuk wrote a clever thriller A hitherto unknown territory of portrait makers in turkey in renaissance Picture of contemporary society by different vantage points characters A love smitten hero a mature right minded heroine and a murderer walking among them A little background study of Quran will be a great help. Apart from Pamuk a recent winner who mesmerizes me is Pinter whatever excerpts of his plays I have read expresses his commanding control on the characters and the setting Never got to read his full book though

message 17: by Neena (new)

D. wrote: "My Name is Red is an unlikely detective book (it starts with the voice of the murdered man), it is totally literary, and not an easy read. But it is totally worth the effort.Also, it fulfills the N..."

One of my favourite book. But yes it's not an easy read. It was a lost cause in another group reads. But may be we can read it here. It's good book for discussion.

message 18: by Neena (new)

We shall go for classic for november. But let's decide on genre for december and january here. You are welcome to suggest a genre for both months. It could be Russian litrature, Noble prize winner authors, contemporary fiction etc. Anything you guys want to read, just suggest and we shall agree on final two then.

message 19: by Neena (new)

let's go with what majority of members want for these two months.