The Dickens Reading Project discussion

All Time Favorite?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh (new)

Josh (PastorJosh) | 3 comments Great Expectations for me, but mostly because that was my first Dickens experience. One of the things I love about DIckens is the reality. His characters and situations are very real.

message 2: by Meredith (last edited Apr 04, 2009 09:55PM) (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) Our Mutual Friend is definitely my favorite. I read that last year, and I remember at some point thinking, "There is a chance I will be reading this book for the rest of my life, but that is absolutely fine with me." I LOVED it. I did NOT love what I thought was an "April Fools" direction Dickens took with Mr. Boffin in the very end, but what did I expect? Dickens isn't one for complexity.

I truly love Bleak House, too, but there is no contest for me for favorite.

I did not love Great Expectations, but I might need to give it another chance. Miss Havisham is such a great character, and I don't think I fully appreciated her when I read it the first time.

message 3: by Everyman (new)

Everyman Bleak House. Hands down. Of course, that couldn't be because I'm a lawyer. :)

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 5 comments Everyman wrote: "Bleak House. Hands down. Of course, that couldn't be because I'm a lawyer. :)"

It's a bit surprising that a lawyer should love _Bleak House_.

I've read _David Copperfield_ so many times that it must surely be my favorite. The other, for its literary perfection, is _A Tale of Two Cities_.

message 5: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 4 comments Bleak House I think. But it's a very close call between that and David Copperfield. Haven't read Our Mutual Friend yet.

message 6: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 1 comments Hi.
I'd say my favorite is A Tale of Two Cities, but maybe that's just because I'm a knitter .
David Copperfield and Oliver Twist are right up there, too, however. And I have quite a few more to read so by this time next year my opinion may have changed.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (digifish_books) I have 3 favourites - David Copperfield, Nicholas Nickleby and Bleak House.

message 8: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiereadsbooks) | 1 comments I'm only just beginning my love affair with Dickens. I'm doing my dissertation on Bleak House and Great Expectations. I've read a few biographies of the man himself to try and achieve a greater insight when I get around to reading at last - once this year's work is done and the long summer begins! I don't know why reading up on the author is something that helps me - it just adds something I suppose. My favourite has always been Great Expectations, but maybe when I read some more that will change. I'm just so intrigued by Expectations' characters, even if Pip's attitude rankles me at times. Nice to see everyone else's favourites!