Book Junkies discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Book Discussions > So I watched Harry Potter for the first time....

Comments (showing 1-50 of 53) (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) ...and maybe it's because I haven't read the book (I'm sure most of you will agree) but it didn't really do much for me.

Kyla | 96 comments having read the first book, I remember going to see the movie in theatre and being slightly disappointed. I didn't start enjoying the movies until #4 or #5, by then the actors seemed to have matured much more :)

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Kyla wrote: "having read the first book, I remember going to see the movie in theatre and being slightly disappointed. I didn't start enjoying the movies until #4 or #5, by then the actors seemed to have mature..."

The movies aren't going to get good until 4 or 5? :O
That sucks.
I did like Hagrid and Harmoine (is that how you spell her name?) they're pretty awesome.
The part with his cousin getting stuck behind the glass was hilarious!

Raphael | 252 comments Well I grew up with Harry Potter - so the first time I watched it I was much too young to judge it properly. Haha.

Give it another chance - once you get into it and watch the actors grow up and characters develop, you'll fall in love. :)

Kyla | 96 comments I agree with Raphael, as the characters grow up you begin to love them more. I think because I had grown up with the books I was so attached to them in my mind that when I saw it translated onto the screen, it took me the first few movies to adjust. I will say though the movies have grown on me and I can't help but own all of them and every now and again have a HP read marathon and then a HP movie marathon. :)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) The books are incredibly hard to translate to the screen, I think, because there is so much background and subtle moving parts. I liked the movies, but can't say that I loved them. I was the most disappointed in #3...it was my favorite book of the series but the most disappointing in movie form, and I think it's because that one had a particularly intricate plot line...you just couldn't capture everything on screen.

Ansareen (ahass35) I read the all the books and I own the movies. I loved both, but the movies were a bit disapointing cuz they couldnt capture everything the books did. But overall they were good=)

Hannah (Faize) | 1090 comments Mod
Raphael wrote: "Well I grew up with Harry Potter - so the first time I watched it I was much too young to judge it properly. Haha.

Give it another chance - once you get into it and watch the actors grow up and c..."

I completely agree with you! If I hadn't been watching Harry Potter since forever, I could probably judge it fairly. But I have that problem with movies I grew up with; it's not that they have "sentimental" or "nostalgic" value to me, I just have seen them so many times I can't rate them fairly. My judgement is completely jacked!!!! O_O

Truth be told, Harry Potter probably isn't so great, but I still watch every now and then because......well, it's Harry Potter:D

My favorite film in the HP saga is probably Chamber of Secrets. I didn't like Half-Blood Prince because I felt like there was something missing from that one....hmmmm....

Kyla wrote: "I agree with Raphael, as the characters grow up you begin to love them more. I think because I had grown up with the books I was so attached to them in my mind that when I saw it translated onto th..."

Other people do that too?? YES!!!!!!!! I'M NORMAL!!!!:D

Ansareen (ahass35) Faize wrote: "Raphael wrote: "Well I grew up with Harry Potter - so the first time I watched it I was much too young to judge it properly. Haha.

Give it another chance - once you get into it and watch the acto..."

Chamber of secret used to be my fav. but then i watched it soo many times it got annoying

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lburgessart) | 39 comments Oh you have to keep going. There is much to see in the next few movies. The shrinking head and the famous black cauldron cafe and the---well...you see what I mean. There is much adventure that awaits you---keep watching.

message 12: by Kyla (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyla | 96 comments Faize wrote: "Kyla wrote: "I agree with Raphael, as the characters grow up you begin to love them more. I think because I had grown up with the books I was so attached to them in my mind that when I saw it trans..."

Lol the reading/movie marathons? I love those!! HP is the perfect series for it too! (In my opinion anyways)!! yay I'm not the only one too!

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) watched movie 3 because movie 2 hasn't come in yet and the jamaican head was hilarious! the blown up lady too!
i would sooooooo be first to approach a hippo... forgot the end of the name but yeah I'd go flying on it!

what is everyone's favorite HP book/ movie and why?

O'ren Gooden | 2 comments it's not only harry potter but most books are normally better than their movie counterpart at least that's my opinion

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) mine as well. Hollywood can't seem to get them right.

Raphael | 252 comments I think I enjoyed the last book the most.

Partly because I savored every page. It was the last book - I spent my childhood reading the series, what else would I have done? I was so sad the series ended. And there is something appealing to me about the whole 'running away, hiding, surviving on your own' thing that kept me hook.

message 17: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) well now in curious!

Raphael wrote: "I think I enjoyed the last book the most.

Partly because I savored every page. It was the last book - I spent my childhood reading the series, what else would I have done? I was so sad the series..."

Hahahah...that reminds me of a Youtube video I saw. I'm not sure who made it......Smosh maybe? Anywho, it was kinda funny. It was all about what you're gonna do with your life now that Harry Potter is over. WHAT WILL YOU FILL THE ENDLESS VOID WITH???????

Oooh, Martha: my favorite HP book.....honestly, I can't say. I've read the series twice (working on my third time, though I've been stuck at book 3 for a while), but I don't really remember. Probably the last one, it was so EPIC:D

message 20: by Kyla (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyla | 96 comments I have to agree, it's hard to pick a favourite. The collection as a whole is fantastic. I have to say the first one I think is one of my favourites, I was 13 when I read it and it was before the "hype" had exploded so no one had even heard of the books yet. It was unlike anything I had read before and I thought it was so magical and so different! I think after a that Book 4 (it was the first one that I can remember coming out when everyone was freaking out and doing the midnight parties and such) and then the last one because it was the last one and I just didn't want it to end. It's been 13 years since I've read the first book and I still reread them everynow and again and I still adore them ;) (sad? maybe! lol but I can't help myself!)

message 21: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) movie 2 is soooo funny!
the owl crashing into everything!

message 22: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I liked the 3rd book the best, as I said earlier. I loved the bobbing and weaving of the plot line. I thought it was cleverly done and well-paced. I was *not* a fan of the last book. I thought it was too long...mostly the first half. I thought the last half rocked though...and in the movies, they did a smash-up job on the last half (which was part 2). The other thing I didn't like was all the attention on those 3 objects...were they the hallows? The stone that brought back loved ones seemed random and not essential to the plot...same with the story book. The only thing that made sense to me was the wand.

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Cedric noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

William Stuart (TheGemstoneChronicles) | 3 comments I actually saw the last two HP movies before I ever read any of the books. I then read all of the books and found (unsurprisingly) that I liked the books better than the movies and didn't have a favorite.

~Brandy~ | 8 comments My favorite of the books was and still is OOTP. Mainly because it starts to answer a lot of the question from the previous books. But of course I love all of them.

Ansareen (ahass35) my favorite youtube video about Harry Potter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57sYH...

message 27: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Ansareen wrote: "my favorite youtube video about Harry Potter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57sYH..."

They can sing!

message 28: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Yes they can! Plus, that's a lot of info to pack into 99 seconds. They have a talent...they should hire themselves out to write book jackets!!! LOL

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched the first four HP movies (19 yrs) before I read any of the books and I loved them...after the books, not so much. Like always, they leave so much stuff out of the movie and then when people don't undersand something you are forced to explain the book version. I'm not going to lie. I have all the books and all the movies. Every time the movies are on TV I have to force myself not to watch it or else I'll be there all day, but I still love the books more.

message 30: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I agree. The books are so much better than the movies, but I still watch the movies when they're on TV. I don't own the last couple of movies, tho....I need to go out and complete my set!

message 31: by Ansareen (last edited Oct 22, 2012 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ansareen (ahass35) Martha wrote: "Ansareen wrote: "my favorite youtube video about Harry Potter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57sYH..."

They can sing!"

ikr! wen i first sw it i replayed it soo many times!
theres one for hunger games but its not as good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WyxoD...

message 32: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) snape you suck!
how do you just kill Dumbledore and end the movie like that! NOT COOL!

can someone explain why malfoy didn't want to give voldemort his wand?

message 33: by Gena Myrtle (new) - added it

Gena Myrtle (gnmyrtl) Martha wrote: "snape you suck!
how do you just kill Dumbledore and end the movie like that! NOT COOL!

can someone explain why malfoy didn't want to give voldemort his wand?"

Are you talking about the Half Blood Prince? :) This is from the movie, I haven't read the book. From the movies, I saw Draco as a scared little boy who took orders from the Dark Lord and his father, Lucius, also an acolyte. For me, he wasn't wholeheartedly committed to Voldemort and at times he was even pitiful of Harry (see HP 7 pt. 1). Not sure if my judgment is accurate though but I hope it helped :)

message 34: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) yes. the deathly hallows part 1.
jk rowling must hate her characters because she's killed off so many!

Ansareen (ahass35) Martha wrote: "yes. the deathly hallows part 1.
jk rowling must hate her characters because she's killed off so many!"

I was soo sad wen Sirius died!=(

message 36: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) same here!

19 YEARS LATER???
what??!!

message 37: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) @Gena...I agree with you. While Malfoy was a dick, I don't think he was truly evil. Bad people can do good things, and vice versa. My daughter is reading HP for the first time!

Lauren Stoolfire Kyla wrote: "having read the first book, I remember going to see the movie in theatre and being slightly disappointed. I didn't start enjoying the movies until #4 or #5, by then the actors seemed to have mature..."

I would say they start to pick up at three. I thought Cuaron did an excellent job as director.

Christine Marie | 220 comments Just watched Order of The Phoenix on Friday after a really long, bad day at school. It made me so happy! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS AMAZING! Even though I've already seen it!

message 40: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Marie wrote: "Just watched Order of The Phoenix on Friday after a really long, bad day at school. It made me so happy! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..."

Which one is the one where they have the tri-something games? I think that's my favorite.

Christine Marie | 220 comments goblet of fire ;)

message 42: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Yeah that one!
Heheh I'm not a huge HP fan but that one was good.

Christine Marie | 220 comments everyone loves that one but for some reason i didn't. I'm a giant HP fan! hehe

Tiffany McFly (tiffmcfly) I love all the books & the films!

They were such a big part of my life growing up. And, I've never been one to be too harsh on film adaptions (even now) so maybe that's why I'm different. So I can pick up any of the books or pop in any of the DVDs and be sucked in immediately. Nerd fact: My best friends and I have had several Harry Potter movie marathons.

So, obviously I'm a bit biased lol!

message 45: by Ansareen (last edited Nov 20, 2012 06:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ansareen (ahass35) All of my friends and siblings are obssesed-like me- with the HP series! It's always my get together or sleep over movie to watch=)

message 46: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Have ya'll noticed that something is always going on with these characters? There are no lulls in the plot.

Christine Marie | 220 comments Tiffany wrote: "I love all the books & the films!

They were such a big part of my life growing up. And, I've never been one to be too harsh on film adaptions (even now) so maybe that's why I'm different. So I can..."

That's me.

Christine Marie | 220 comments Martha wrote: "Have ya'll noticed that something is always going on with these characters? There are no lulls in the plot."

I felt that there were lulls. Then again, my definition of a lull may be different than yours.

message 49: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Marie wrote: "Martha wrote: "Have ya'll noticed that something is always going on with these characters? There are no lulls in the plot."

I felt that there were lulls. Then again, my definition of a lull may b..."

Really? In which parts?

Christine Marie | 220 comments I thought that in the parts where they would just show time passing by showing like them in the common room, eating, studying, those were lulls to me.

« previous 1