Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Romantic Comedy > Welcome Romantic Comedy Authors and Readers!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 144) (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Vincent, Mod & Author (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 1053 comments Mod
This folder is for readers and writers of romantic comedies (or chick lit).

Welcome! Please post your books or leave a comment!

message 2: by Janelovering (new)

Janelovering | 52 comments I write romantic comedies but they are not, in any way, chick lit. I call them 'dark psychological romance - with jokes'. I'm not sure about this conflation of romantic comedy with chick lit (although I don't find the term disparaging)because people buy my books and then review them, usually starting with the words 'well, this wasn't like any kind of chick lit I'm used to'...That's because it's NOT Chick Lit, people!

www.janelovering.co.uk
http://www.choc-lit.co.uk/html/jane_l...

message 3: by Martin (new)

Martin Reed (pendrum) | 53 comments Does this count?

http://www.amazon.com/My-Disjointed-L...

It's got romance AND comedy. So I guess in a way, you could claim that it's a...

Well, I tried.

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 751 comments Likewise my new book is a darkly comic romance and far from chicklit, so not sure if it fits here or not. You can judge from the blurb I guess.

Time After Time by Marc Nash Time After Time

It's a series of seduction scenarios, the same man, the same woman, the same opening chat up lines, but a myriad of different outcomes...

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 425 comments I agree, romantic comedy and chic lit are NOT the same. I write light and fluffy rom com, on the WAY other side of the spectrum from dark psychological!

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Oakes (ColleenOakes) Yay for the new category! My book is called Elly in Bloom, and it just debuted last month. I would love to connect with other Chick-Lit/Romantic Comedy authors.

http://www.amazon.com/Elly-In-Bloom-C...

message 7: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette Walsh | 14 comments My chick lit novel, GOLD COAST WIVES, has been described as "light, airy & fun" and "the perfect beach read". Kate Ryan, after losing her job, husband, life savings and possibly her mind joins the cast of a reality TV show. At only $2.99, why not give it a try?

Gold Coast Wives
Gold Coast Wives by Bernadette Walsh

message 8: by Francene (new)

Francene Carroll | 5 comments I think my book falls safely into the category of romantic comedy. It's called Pleasure Island and I have a couple of copies to give away in pdf format in exchange for an honest review. Message me if you're interested.

Fran :)

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 16 comments hello everyone,

I think I write romantic comedy, but I could just be amusing myself - it wouldn't be the first time! Here's the link to one of my books:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

I hope you will check it out and see if it makes you laugh too,

janet

message 10: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennabayleyburke) | 12 comments Comedy is so subjective. I shy away from the label because I worry readers would expect me to be funny all the time. Like when they see me in the bathroom at events. There are only so many jokes about paper towels you can make before it gets awkward.

I think my funniest books are :

Compromising Positions http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63...

Drive Me Crazy
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

Caribbean Christmas

message 11: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Bray (charlie-bray) | 80 comments On my blogsite, INDIETRIBE, I will showcase your book for free. Effectively, you review it yourself, 'selling' it to potential readers and take advantage of what is actually a free advertorial.
Check out the latest INDIETRIBE SHOWCASE http://theindietribe.wordpress.com/20...

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 425 comments Jenna, I hear you on that. But I like to make jokes anyway. :)

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Shirk (jennifershirk) | 18 comments I've written a few romantic comedies!
and yes, rom com is VERY subjective!

A Little Bit Cupid by Jennifer Shirk

and

The Role of a Lifetime by Jennifer Shirk

message 14: by Cameo (new)

Cameo MacPherson (goodreadscomcameomacpherson) | 17 comments Love this thread!

That is all.

message 15: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 16 comments I think the key to good romantic comedy is when the writer isn't TRYING to be funny. You can always tell when the humour happens naturally and when it's forced. Unfortunately this is a hard thing to pull off! :)

Has anyone read Writing the Romantic Comedy by Billy Mernit? It was written for people who write screen plays and it's a great read. Takes you down memory lane through all those old romantic movies that I loved to watch as a kid... sigh. They don't make them like the used to! :)

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Shirk (jennifershirk) | 18 comments Janet wrote: "I think the key to good romantic comedy is when the writer isn't TRYING to be funny. You can always tell when the humour happens naturally and when it's forced. Unfortunately this is a hard thing t..."

No, I haven't read that book. Will check it out. THANKS!

message 17: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 16 comments It's great if you like old movies, but it's full of very useful tips for a writer too. Hope you enjoy it Jennifer!

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Shirk (jennifershirk) | 18 comments Janet wrote: "It's great if you like old movies, but it's full of very useful tips for a writer too. Hope you enjoy it Jennifer!"

:-)

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (SandraLinthwaite) | 17 comments I think my book 'Flowers and Feathers' qualifies on this score, although it does have its darker moments...
Humour is always subjective and local and national humour can have its variants, never mind international humour. The big advantage with e-books though is that you can try before you buy and get a free sample download!
http://www.amazon.com/Flowers-and-Fea...

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara Barton (sarambarton) | 17 comments I find that readers either love the romantic comedy in a story or loathe it. Readers are rarely lukewarm about their feelings. Is it because we have our own expectations when it comes to defining romance and what we want out of a story, in terms of emotional satisfaction?

In my series, "Bard's Bed & Breakfast Mysteries", I wrote about a bickering couple named after Shakespeare's characters of Beatrice and Benedict in "Much Ado About Nothing". Most readers loved the interplay and thought it was funny. A couple of reviewers completely ignored the association and criticized my Beatrice for being too whiny, for not supporting her husband, etc. They certainly were not amused by the humor.

Is it because we have a preconceived notion that the hero should always get top billing and respect? Does romantic comedy challenge that notion, by placing the hero in the potential situation of being bested by...(gasp!) a girl? Let Slip the Dogs of War

message 21: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 425 comments I wonder if they've read Much Ado.

message 22: by Cameo (new)

Cameo MacPherson (goodreadscomcameomacpherson) | 17 comments Ohhh... I love Much Ado.

Personally, I love stories where the hero/heroine provide a challenge for each other. Not in a "I will be the master/mistress" way, but in a way that makes them be their best.

message 23: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 16 comments Me too Cameo! I think the funniest thing is when two people are really attracted to each other but have no idea what to do with each other! Fun!

message 24: by Cameo (new)

Cameo MacPherson (goodreadscomcameomacpherson) | 17 comments Oddly enough, that's what happened with my husband and me. We liked each other for five years, but neither one picked up on the others hints.

message 25: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 16 comments oh my goodness Cameo, we should talk! It sounds like just the sort of thing I like to write about. My husband and I were the opposite end of the spectrum. I spotted him and thought "mine", three weeks later - he proposed. Since I'd already decided to marry him weeks earlier, I thought he was a little slow! Almost eighteen years later we're still going strong - and he's still a bit too slow in picking up on my hints!

message 26: by Cameo (new)

Cameo MacPherson (goodreadscomcameomacpherson) | 17 comments To be fair... he did ask me out once, but I was engaged to another man at the time so I told him I thought we'd be better off as friends...and the idiot believed me.

Someday I'll write the whole story into one of my books, but I'm willing to bet no one will ever believe it could actually happen in real life.

:-)

Since your husband made you wait so long for the proposal, I hope he made it a really good one.

message 27: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 34 comments Hi, I'm a chicklit author. Both my romances have some humour in them. At least, I think they're funny. Humour is quite subjective, isn't it?

message 28: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 425 comments I live getting my pages back from critique group and my beta reader when LOL is scribbled all over the pager. :)

message 29: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 16 comments Hey cameo, he proposed at the top of the Empire State Building. Since I'm a Scot and he's Dutch, we both thought that was really exciting!

message 30: by Cameo (new)

Cameo MacPherson (goodreadscomcameomacpherson) | 17 comments Awesome, Janet.

message 31: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 425 comments That's sweet!! <3

message 32: by ChaiTime (new)

ChaiTime | 14 comments Hello, I am not a writer (yet!) but am an avid reader of romance books, and run a book review blog (www.chaitime212.blogspot.com). Please check out my blog and contact me if you would like a review!You can also email me at chaitime212@gmail.com

message 33: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Chapman (CatherineEChapman) | 65 comments Kitty by Catherine E. Chapman My Jane Austen-inspired novelette, 'Kitty,' will be free on Amazon from 10-14th February. Kitty

http://www.amazon.com/Kitty-ebook/dp/...

If you read the book and enjoy it, I'd appreciate reviews, recommendations & ratings here, on Amazon & elsewhere.

message 34: by ChaiTime (new)

ChaiTime | 14 comments Hi Catherine, will check it out, sounds like an interesting story :)

message 35: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Chapman (CatherineEChapman) | 65 comments Great, ChaiTime - I hope you enjoy it!

Catherine

ChaiTime wrote: "Hi Catherine, will check it out, sounds like an interesting story :)"

message 36: by Cameo (new)

Cameo MacPherson (goodreadscomcameomacpherson) | 17 comments ChaiTime wrote: "Hello, I am not a writer (yet!) but am an avid reader of romance books, and run a book review blog (www.chaitime212.blogspot.com). Please check out my blog and contact me if you would like a review..."

Hi ChaiTime. I sent you an e-mail regarding my paranormal romantic comedy, Dead in Bed. I checked out your blog, and judging on your preferences, I think you might enjoy it.

Cameo

message 37: by Cameo (new)

Cameo MacPherson (goodreadscomcameomacpherson) | 17 comments Catherine wrote: "Kitty by Catherine E. Chapman My Jane Austen-inspired novelette, 'Kitty,' will be free on Amazon from 10-14th February. Kitty

If you read the book a..."

Looking forward to reading it. I love everything Austen!

message 38: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Chapman (CatherineEChapman) | 65 comments Thanks, Cameo - I hope you enjoy reading it.

Catherine

Cameo wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Kitty by Catherine E. Chapman My Jane Austen-inspired novelette, 'Kitty,' will be free on Amazon from 10-14th February. Kitty

If y..."

message 39: by Brendan (new)

Brendan Carroll (BrendanCarroll) | 66 comments My latest novel, Quadrille ~ A Dance for Four People, is definitely in the Romantic Comedy category. It is also a period piece set in 18th Century England. The protagonist is a young fellow with his prospects in question due to the questionable circumstances of his birth. While he is trying to get his case decided in the courts, he finds himself embroiled with three very different ladies none of whom is his true love, Miss Lydia Summerlin. There is much adventure and misadventure along the way.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEB9NS4

message 40: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 425 comments How often does one have to laugh in order for a book to be considered a comedy? Just out of curiosity. Do you have to laugh at something on every page? Scene? Chapter?

message 41: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 16 comments NO!! Abigail, Sorry feel very strongly about this. :) I think if a book tries to hard to be funny then it's falling into the farce category. I think the funniest books are the ones that can take you from a really serious scene and then surprise you with a laugh. For me 'the laughs' should be sparing, but when they come - hit you hard!

message 42: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 425 comments I like strong opinions. :)

I disagree about the sparing laughs, though. To me, what you described is a more serious book with the laughs added to give the reader a break from the tension. Think the scene in Steel Magnolias where Sally Fields is railing about Shelby's death, saying she's so mad she wants to hit something, and Olympia grabs Shirley and says HIT HER! It's such an emotional scene, yet you laugh at the end of it. But it's still not a comedy. Ya know?

message 43: by Janet (new)

Janet Henderson | 16 comments I think a book can be light, witty and still keep the belly laughs as a surprise! I tried to read a book this week that said it was a romantic comedy. You got the impression that every paragraph was written tongue in cheek, it was hard to get into the story and all felt a bit cheesy. I think the author was trying too hard to be funny. But, if you just write the story and as an author see the humour in the lives and situations of your characters, then the funny parts can happen naturally - when they're meant to happen. I guess my argument of trying to get a laugh on every page is that it can feel fake and forced. Also, in Hollywood, screen writers of romantic comedies try to aim for one major belly laugh a movie, plus lots of smiles and chuckles. While the farce comedy movies are aiming for a laugh in every scene - no matter what it costs in story integrity.

I just read what I wrote - it's quite possible that I've spent far too much time thinking about this and now need to get a life again!! :)

message 44: by Emma (last edited Feb 27, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Emma Chase | 2 comments Hi!
I have a romantic comedy / comedic erotica entitled, Tangled, coming out in May 2013. It's an irreverent, witty story told from the POV of the strongly opinionated lead male character, Drew Evans. He's a fun character to write, and I've been told he provides many satisfying laugh-out-loud moments.

Looking forward to chatting on this discussion thread and finding some new and interesting stories to enjoy!

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma Chase | 2 comments Janet wrote: "I think a book can be light, witty and still keep the belly laughs as a surprise! I tried to read a book this week that said it was a romantic comedy. You got the impression that every paragraph wa..."

I agree - the best laughs are the ones that happen naturally, or b/c you can relate to what a character is experiencing. I've never been a fan of slapstick comedy in any form.
However, I think laughs in a book/movie can actually heighten the drama/sadness that could be going on at a different point. It's all about the emotion. If a story can make you laugh, it can probably make you cry too - b/c you're invested in the characters and their journey.
:)

message 46: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 425 comments Oh, geez, I hate the books that try too hard. And humor is so subjective.

I like to think I'm funny. Without trying too hard.

message 47: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Marts | 7 comments Hi All- My name is Jennie Marts and I am new to the group. I am an author who has been reading since I could pick up a book! I write romantic comedy/mystery because I like a story that makes you laugh, has a happy ending, a little romance, and keeps you guessing.

I live in Colorado, have big hair, a big laugh and a big heart! I love to discuss books and am in a book club that likes to laugh and usually only half of us have even purchased the book. :)My first book came out in Dec of 2012. Love for you to check it out! Nice to meet you all!
Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body by Jennie Marts
Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body

message 48: by Ina (new)

Ina Linger | 8 comments Hello, I'm Ina Linger and wrote one romantic comedy with Cina Bard called Three Night Stand - Love is simple

Here's the synopsis:

There are three rules, you should stick by, if you let yourself in for a one-night stand: Choose someone you will never meet again. Ensure that you have the pleasure of your life and afterwards disappear as fast and as traceless as possible. This is also obvious to Lisa, when she arrives in L.A. and her best friend Karen persuades her to go to a party and to abandon all inhibitions there. With the attractive Nick she indeed finds a like-minded person and spends one of the most exciting nights she has ever experienced. When Lisa takes flight the next morning she doesn't anticipate, that she hasn't been as careful with the first rule as she thinks. Because Nicolas Jordan, the man who's sitting in front of her at her first business talk in the afternoon and with whom she has to work on the script for her bestselling novel the next six weeks, is none other than Nick, her one-night stand.

If you are interested in reading and reviewing it contact me for getting a free e-book copy. We're willing to give away a few of them.

message 49: by Jeb (new)

Jeb Harrison (jebh) | 22 comments Hey y'all cut ups and crackpots! Based on our implied mutual agreement that laughter is almost as good as sex and in some cases much, much better, and that laughter during sex is, when carefully executed in a timely fashion, a rapturous joy beyond reckoning, I cordially invite you to Limboland, where you'll find plenty of the sophomoric, puerile, bawdy, tasteless humor we all secretly lust after. Though most of the Limboland fare will take you lower than you ever imagined you could go, there are fleeting moments of sensitive, poetic, lyrical, tender sentimentality that's guaranteed to make a hearty Humour Clubber puke with indignant gusto.

So, I invite you one and all to join the mirth and gaiety and even contribute your own shameless silliness to the land that taste forgot: Limboland! http://bit.ly/Zm2MeI

I hope to see you there, naked as a jaybird!!

Jeb

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Chapman (CatherineEChapman) | 65 comments 'Kitty' will be free for the final time on Amazon Select this weekend, 25-27th May, so grab it while you can!

Catherine wrote: "Kitty by Catherine E. Chapman My Jane Austen-inspired novelette, 'Kitty,' will be free on Amazon from 10-14th February. Kitty

If you read the book a..."

« previous 1 3