FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Information/Resources > metabolism

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

mary elizabeth  Williams is anyone else really concerned about there metabolism? i've read so much about how restricting calories can cause your metabolism to slow way down.
i've been restricting calories since august, and eating around 1,000 calories a day. i will eating a big meal about once or twice a week when i go to a restaurant or party. i've have not lost any weight since december.
now, i am thinking my metabolism is shot! how can i fix it? should i eat more and risk gaining some of the weight back? ack? help! how does one recuperate there metabolism to where it once was?

message 2: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Beth - you really might be cutting your calories too low depending on your height/current weight. The one thing I was surprised with when I started Weight Watchers was how much food I HAD to eat each day to lose weight and a large part of that IS to keep your metabolism going. Aside from the amount of food you eat, two things are key... eating smaller meals throughout the day and exercise. The first will keep your metabolism up during the day and the second will rev it up to help you burn even more calories.

mary elizabeth  Williams thanks Trudy, I am going to be more aware now. i read a bunch of articles on spark also, so I am feeling a bit not as flustered.

message 4: by Myra (new)

Myra | 33 comments Hey - your calories have definitely been too low. Never go below 1200/day. What I would suggest is toggling your calories/day to keep your metabolism from slowing down. Try this for a few weeks and I'm sure you'll start losing weight again.
MON. 1400 calories
TUES. 1200 calories
WED. 1400 calories
THUR. 1200 calories
FRI. 1400 calories
SAT. 1900 calories
SUN. 1200 calories
Good luck and let me know how it goes!
By the way, I just tried to change my username to Myra (it was moolewis) - not sure if I did it right and if it will show up right, though. Anyway, I'm the personal trainer that wanted to help you gals out!

message 5: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Holy cow Beth... 1,000 calories??? How the heck do you do that? That seems really low chica! I usually stay between 1300-1500 a day. On the weekends... well... they are the weekends.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I think I have to eat more, too...thanks for reminding me...

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
I like that staggered calorie chart Myra recommended. I'm thinking it would allow for a little more variety to the foods we eat. And keep us focused, knowing that today might be a low cal day, but tomorrow will be higher. Neato.

mary elizabeth  Williams hi all, i just heard a good pod cast about metabolism that refutes everything i have been reading on spark and in other places. http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytip...
Nutrition Diva is good to listen to while exercising.
It seems there is some conflicting information out there, and its hard to know what to believe. I think what works for me is just to remember that a calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it.

message 9: by Myra (new)

Myra | 33 comments beth wrote: "hi all, i just heard a good pod cast about metabolism that refutes everything i have been reading on spark and in other places. http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytip...
Nutrition Diva is good t..."

Hmmmm...cool website, thanks for sharing. I just read the transcript. Don't know that I agree with what she's saying, but she probably knows more than me! All I do know is, though, that there isn't a single fitness or bikini competitor out there (and these women eat very healthy and are perfectly gorgeous) who doesn't eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. They include lean protein and complex carbs in each one. I think the biggest problem with going to long b/w meals is, as she stated, wanting to eat EVERYTHING you see by the time you DO get to eat - therefore more calories in that you would have otherwise.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
That's true, Myra. Some days I could just gobble up an entire refrigerator of food just because I think I'm STARVING!