Bookworms discussion

Investigation-in-progress > is there any author you think is overrated?

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
There are many best seller authors who are just overarted. For me among those are James Patterson, Jodi Picoult, Jhumpa Lahiri, M.G. Vassanji, Margrate Attwood.

Who do you think are most overarted authors?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Dan Brown.

He just cant write. Stuffing your book with info is good, but it becomes boring when the info bogs down the main plot.

This is a perennial problem of Brown, as he writes huge books filled with deep infos, but with a filmsy plot.

And moreover he gave birth to a school of conspiracy thriller novelist. This i a genre I just don't like!!

message 3: by Neena (new)

I never even tried to read Da Vinci Code:)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

And I wasted so much money on the hardcover edition of THE LOST SYMBOL, I feel like kicking myself now!!!

message 5: by Neena (new)

That happens all the time:)

message 6: by Alen (new)

Alen Joy Anirban wrote: "Dan Brown.

He just cant write. Stuffing your book with info is good, but it becomes boring when the info bogs down the main plot.

This is a perennial problem of Brown, as he writes huge books fil..."

You are 100% right about The lost symbol.But consider The Davinci Code,Angels And Daemons,Digital Fortress and Deception Point,those books are not some creepy stories.The Davinci code and Angels and Daemons are good examples of conspiracy thrillers and Digital fortress is not a usual cyber-thriller and its well written.but In the case of lost symbol I'll agree with your view because its nothing but 509 pages crap. But I don't think you can say Dan Brown is a overrated author according to The Lost Symbol.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually I liked ANGELS, CODE was Ok for me. But, Lost symbol was a failure.

Going by the hype around Dan Brown, i thought that he is an OK writer, but not as good as the hype proclaims him to be.

message 8: by Abhijeet (new)

Abhijeet (reading_is_magic) Salman Rushdie. I've tried reading some of his work, sounds like total nonsense to me.

message 9: by Neena (new)

Abhijeet wrote: "Salman Rushdie. I've tried reading some of his work, sounds like total nonsense to me."

I can't say anything about Salman Rushdie as I have read only one book by him but I have this aversion to his name. Every time I go to library I just pass by his book shelf.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) Sorry but I don't like the way Aravind Adiga writes.

message 11: by Amrita (new)

Amrita Paul  (amritapaul) | 26 comments Chetan Bhagat

message 12: by Abhay (new)

Abhay Kulkarni | 11327 comments Mod
I feel Salman Rusdie is overated. Also Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. I personally like Dan Browns works. He's one guy who brings together Renaissance art, science, religion, symbology, secret societies etc etc power packed in a 24hr thriller. Also get to learn historical religious stuff frm his books. A DIFFERENT but smart writer in my opinion.

message 13: by Ravindra (new)

Ravindra Soman Chetan Bhagat is the winner for me..

As for Dan Brown, TDVC and A&D were good, but rest were below par.
Another name that comes to my mind is Paulo Coelho..

His Alchemist was a great. Veronica decides to die was also good. But after that every book that read (Pilgrimage, Valkyrie to name some) seems monotonous..

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex  Mathew  | 18 comments I read only one book of Rushdie "Midnight's Children" and I loved it. May be the novel itself is little over rated with it winning awards after awards.

One pretty much over hyped novel I feel is Cormac Macarthy's "No Country for Old Men". The film won many awards at Oscar's, there was huge hype and so when I read it, I was disappointed.

Another huge best seller which was a disappointment for me was "Girl with Dragon Tattoo", there are far more better,well crafted mysteries out there,but it is a mystery that this one became such a huge success.

message 15: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments Why do you think Salman Rushdie is overrated? I am curious. If it is because you cannot finish his books, I don't think it is a valid reason to call him overrated.

I have failed to finish Tolstoy's "War and Peace" thrice, but I don't think he is overrated.

As for Rushdie, I love his style and magical realism and the symbolism he shows. "Midnight's Children" is my favorite book of all time. Enchanting.

Aravind Adiga's "The White Tiger" seemed overrated to me. I found it strictly OK, nothing to write home about. Also I didn't much like Yann Martel's "Life of Pi".

message 16: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments Ravindra wrote: "Chetan Bhagat is the winner for me..

As for Dan Brown, TDVC and A&D were good, but rest were below par.
Another name that comes to my mind is Paulo Coelho..

His Alchemist was a great. Veronica d..."

I don't think anyone rates Bhagat that high to call him overrated :) He is bestselling, but never highly rated.

message 17: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments It's a matter of personal opinion I know. Have you tried "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" by Rushdie? I think it should change your opinion. Rushdie does have a tendency to get overly philosophical at times but I think the reward is worth it.

message 18: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments Since the thread asks us for our personal opinion regarding who is over-rated, I think it's ok to drop a few names :D

I was just curious as to why people think Rushdie is overrated, is all. But do try Haroun, I believe you will like Rushdie much more once you're done with it.

Personally, I find Aravind Adiga, Yann Martel and Dan Brown to be kinda overrated.

message 19: by Sharan (new)

Sharan (SharanMangalore) | 162 comments I find Chetan Bhagat, Dan Brown overrated too... One other overrated author is Dean Koontz...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sharan wrote: "I find Chetan Bhagat, Dan Brown overrated too... One other overrated author is Dean Koontz..."

Yup. Dean Koontz definitely overrated. Every book of his promises a lot in the beginning, but ends in a whimper.

message 21: by Sharan (new)

Sharan (SharanMangalore) | 162 comments Anirban wrote: "Sharan wrote: "I find Chetan Bhagat, Dan Brown overrated too... One other overrated author is Dean Koontz..."

Yup. Dean Koontz definitely overrated. Every book of his promises a lot in the beginn..."

Yes Exactly!

message 22: by Neena (new)

Saurabh wrote: "Rahul wrote: "It's a matter of personal opinion I know. Have you tried "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" by Rushdie? I think it should change your opinion. Rushdie does have a tendency to get overly ..."

I borrowed white tiger once from library and after reading first few pages, returned it. Somehow I did not feel like reading him though library here has almost all of his work. Same with Rushdie. I always have a look at his name in the shelves but somehow I'm allergic to his name. I don't ever feel like reading his work.

message 23: by Aparna (new)

Aparna | 192 comments Neena, try reading "The Handmaid's Tale", and Atwood's popularity will seem justified to you :) But then again, I understand she's some kind of national icon in Canada, not so much here...

message 24: by Neena (new)

I tried that Aparna and returned it after reading 2-3 pages:P

message 25: by Rishabh (new)

Rishabh | 10 comments nicholas sparks

message 26: by Neena (new)

The only book I liked Atwood's was Alice Grace. That was wonderful.Otherwise I can't understand why she is so highly acclaimed!

message 27: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments I liked the first few chapters of White Tiger. It was later that the book lost my interest.

message 28: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments Haha I don't think anyone rates Chetan Bhagat, Twilight or 50 shades highly. But they are bestsellers all the same. :-/

message 29: by Anuj (new)

Anuj Shrivastava | 2414 comments amish tripathi he is too overrated

message 30: by Jalpa (new)

Jalpa S. | 21 comments Chetan Bhagat

message 31: by John (new)

John Dodds I recently downloaded the audiobook version of Stephen King's Under the Dome. To be fair, I was a fan of King's earlier work, but it seems his work got worse, rather than better, as time went on. Under the Dome has a great premise, and some terrific set pieces, but the deus ex machina explanation was just plain terrible. For much the same reasons that the film, Dreamcatcher, based on one of his books, was terrible. My advice to Stephen King? Stay well clear of science fiction, and stick to small town horror stories.

message 32: by Sharika (new)

Sharika (goodreadscomquietnbookish) Chetan Bhagat is grossly overrated. I read 'Five Point Someone'and found it very dull. Everything about the book is so ordinary- the story, the characters, the writing style !

message 33: by Neena (new)

New one in my list is MItch Albom. I have read two of his books so far;time keeper and tuesdays with Morrie. I wonder what made these books bestsellers.

message 34: by Swaroop (new)

Swaroop | 20 comments I guess overrated implies someone who is considered a great writer but personally does not impress someone. For me, that would be JRR Tolkien. Another author who comes to mind is Philip Roth! I have not managed to finish any of his books!

message 35: by Anuj (new)

Anuj Shrivastava | 2414 comments Neena wrote: "New one in my list is MItch Albom. I have read two of his books so far;time keeper and tuesdays with Morrie. I wonder what made these books bestsellers."

i really liked time keeper:)

message 36: by Anoop (new)

Anoop Pai B (anooppai) J K Rowling is also overrated.. I have not yet read Casual Vacancy, and so there is still a room for change of opinion.

message 37: by Neena (new)

Anuj wrote: "Neena wrote: "New one in my list is MItch Albom. I have read two of his books so far;time keeper and tuesdays with Morrie. I wonder what made these books bestsellers."

i really liked time keeper:)"

Hmmmmm for me it was more like non fiction.....he seemed more like preaching even though he was telling a story.

message 38: by Neena (new)

Anoop wrote: "J K Rowling is also overrated.. I have not yet read Casual Vacancy, and so there is still a room for change of opinion."

Anoop I have not read Harry Potter but reading casual vacancy made me realise why she is one of the top authors. She is too good!!!!!!

message 39: by Anoop (new)

Anoop Pai B (anooppai) Neena, i have heard about it and i want to believe that she has written differently.. But till i read it i will call her overrated :)

message 40: by Anuj (new)

Anuj Shrivastava | 2414 comments Neena wrote: "Anuj wrote: "Neena wrote: "New one in my list is MItch Albom. I have read two of his books so far;time keeper and tuesdays with Morrie. I wonder what made these books bestsellers."

i really liked ..."

that's what i liked, a really great story and with a true learning, we are human beings and it is good if someone remind us what we already know,and it become fun if you enjoy it.
but i didn't liked Tuesday with morrie because it lacks the fun factor

message 41: by Anuj (new)

Anuj Shrivastava | 2414 comments Vash wrote: "For me it is Arvind Adiga and Shobha De.

@Neena: Why do you find Jodi Picoult overrated she writes beautifully!"

i agree she has some of very beautiful and strong books like "plain truth" but she is loosing it gradually

message 42: by Neena (new)

I did not like Mitch's books. He writes ok. He might be best seller but he is just average as an author. Somehow I feel his writing is very ordinary. Now Jodi Picult's books are entertaining but when I am reading that genre, I would rather go for Sue Miller because Jodi always overdramatize things. She writes for selling it to readers. When it comes to general fiction I would rather go for a serious author who writes for the sake of writing. Those kinds of books fill my appetite. Entertaining is good when it comes to mystery/suspense genre.

message 43: by Ajay (new)

Ajay | 73 comments James Patterson & Dan Brown

message 44: by A (new)

A H Chetan Bhagat

message 45: by A (new)

A H And James Patterson. John Grisham and Paulho Coelho are also over-rated.

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments For me it's - arundhati roy & Paulo Coelho

message 47: by Chetana (new)

Chetana (chetanakamath9) Paulo Coelho. His language is too difficult to understand & so are his books!

message 48: by Jasbir (new)

Jasbir S Jagdeo (jasbir_pro) | 5 comments I would have said I am but alas! I am not even rated:-)

Seriously, I sometimes feel that even more than authors, there are books that are unjustifiably overrated. There are books by one author that should be rated differently, but reputation built by one many times makes other's rating biased.