What's 811 Reading? discussion

October > 10/10: Influential Roles

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 49 comments Mod
Which role (either born or chosen) is most influential in your protagonist's life? Provide specific examples from your text to support your answer.

For full credit: Did I….
• Write a topic sentence that provided the title, author, and genre of my text?
• Provide context (background info) of what is happening in the text, so my reader understands what I’m talking about?
• Find at least two specific examples that prove my idea?
• Thoroughly explain the significance of my evidence and how it proves my idea?
• Check for correct punctuation and spelling?

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Chen | 44 comments The most influential role in Percy Jackson's life was being a teenager, at the age of 16. The reason why is because when Percy is 16 years old, bad things would happen to him. Each and every one of Lord Kronos's titans/monsters would be after him to kill him. Percy and his Camp are trying to protect Percy as much as possible. Because of this, Percy must take the risk of fighting Lord Kronos by his own. So, if Percy was defeated by Kronos, he would die. That is the biggest part of the journey because without Percy, Kronos wouldn't have been destroyed by anyone else, but Jackson.

message 3: by Altamir III (new)

Altamir III III (longdeoking) | 27 comments The role that my protagonist is influential is him being a ball player. I say that because all he does is ball. He loves the ball, the rim, even the sound it makes when it bounces on the ground. Another way that him playing ball is a role that influences him is that he depends only on him playing ball for the future. Its because he is not so good in school. Also he doesn't like school that much, only ball. Lastly is because is the best on it. He is 6 foot 1 inch. Hes a guard and if it wasn't for him the team wouldn't be so good. With that, the coach says that he is not ready for college ball and that got Drew (the protagonist) super mad.

message 4: by Gabby (last edited Oct 10, 2012 04:41PM) (new)

Gabby T. | 22 comments book:mocking jay
by:suzanne collins
The role that most inufluenced the protagonist katniss everdeen in the the book mocking jay is her sister death.The reason I think this is because it after prims death katniss went crazy instead of killing president snow she killed president coin which was part of the reblion just like her. Also in the1st book the hunger games the only reason she voulnteered as tribute was to protect prim.Also she stated serveral time throughout the series that prim was the most important thing to her.Also she almost tried to kill herself afterward.That is why I think that was the most important thing that influcenced her.

message 5: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 25 comments The book that I'm reading is called "Eragon", made by Christopher Paolini. The protagonist in the book is named Eragon. The most influential role in Eragon's life is being told that he was a dragon rider. It was influential because the king, Galbotorix, is trying to take over the Empire by using other dragon riders. Since Eragon is the only dragon rider left, Galbotorix sent people after him to catch him and bring him to Galbotorix.

message 6: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Mok (SydneyMok) | 43 comments The book that I'm readin is called The Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult. This book always change the point of view o a different person but Anna is an important character. I think the most influential role in her life is being sort of like a body part donner to her older sister Kate. Her sister has a disease and she always has problems so her parents gave birth to Anna so she can give her body parts if Kate needs it. Ever since Anna was little, she was always giving her blood or some body part to Kate. Her parents always made her and never thought of how she felt. Finally when Anna was older and was around 13-16 years old, Kate needed a kidney or she would die. Anna learned to stand up for herself and say that she didn't want to give Kate a kidney. Her parents were really shocked but Anna went to a judge and told them that her parents were telling her that she needed to donate her body parts to her sister even if she didn't choose to.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (allergic2haters) | 37 comments The book I'm reading is MockingJay by Suzanne Collins. The role that influenced the protagonist (Katniss Everdeen) is that Peeta is in jail.

On page 9 it said, "Bad. This is bad. It brings on the flood images that torments me, awake, or asleep. Peeta being tortured-drowned, burned, lacerated, shocked, maimed, beaten as the Capital tries to get information about the rebellion that he doesn't know." This means that Peeta is being tortured by the Capital and he is in jail for no reason.

Another example on page 10, "What am I going to do? I whispered to the wall. Because I really don't know." This means that Katniss has no idea how to save Peeta before the Capital kills him.

I think this is the most important influenced Katniss got in for Peeta got in jail from the Capital.

message 8: by Corey (new)

Corey | 43 comments The most influential role in Greg's life is being a teenager in the book "Diary of a wimpy kid." Greg is a teenager who seems to have bad luck in everything. Greg and his dad are having a tough time together. One way it influenced him was that he is not excited about high school. He feels lazy and doesnt want to go to school. Another way that it influenced him was his dad. His dad was mean to him and he wanted Greg to play soccer and he wanted to send him to the boring boy scouts camp. Of course Greg did not like that and it affected his life as a teenager. Therefore, being a teenage is an influential role in Arnold's life

message 9: by Jamilah (new)

Jamilah B | 37 comments The most influential role in my protagonist Ismael's life is being a teenager. This is the most influential because as Ishmael gets older, his life changes. He fights in a war against the rebels who burned his village, he smokes marijuana and brown brown (gun powder mixed with cocaine), and his friends are dying. When Ishmael turned 15, him and his friend joined the war against the rebels. But only Ishmael and his friend Alhaji made it alive with the other soldiers. As Ishmael smoked more and took energy boosts he became careless and would kill anybody who he didn't know. Therefore that is why being a teenager influenced him the most.

message 10: by Wesley (new)

Wesley | 50 comments book:MIss Peregrine's home for peculiar children
my protagonist named jacob has an influential role such as being a child of a dead grandfather when he found out his grandpa dead, he got very depressed on believing the peculiar children story. like how he believed the truth about stories about these children. he can know listen to his grandpas dying wish so he can visit this island where he find the house of peculiar children. he was influenced to come to this island and find the stories were real.

message 11: by Kenjo (new)

Kenjo | 41 comments The book I'm reading is called, "Around The World In 80 Days." The most influential role in my protagonist's life is his servant named Passepartout because he's a loyal servant and has never had any thoughts of betrayal against his master. The protagonist's name is Mr. Fogg. There were many occasions when the journey could've failed resulting in the loss of the bet Mr. Fogg placed but Passepartout had saved him. One example of this is when Native Americans attacked the train that was headed towards one of their destinations. Passepartout bravely defended his master from the attack and in the end he was captured, but Mr. Fogg returned the favor, went back and saved his servant's life.

message 12: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 22 comments The role my protagonist has done that is influential is that he is a surviver of abuse. Because he is beaten every day and just took the pain and beatings.

message 13: by Ilijah (new)

Ilijah A | 40 comments City of Glass

In my book City of Glass by Cassandra Clare the protagonist, Clary, has done that she did not choose was that she is a downworlder. She did not choose to become one like Simon. Simon was bit while Clary was born into one. Also her mother is one but her stepfather is not,he is part werewolf, she can not choose to be one if she wanted.