Virtual Writers discussion

The Companion of Lady Holmeshire
This topic is about The Companion of Lady Holmeshire
Author Profiles > Debra Brown ~ Historical Fiction, YA HistFic

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (last edited Oct 10, 2012 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debra Brown (DebraBrown) | 41 comments I was educated in nursing, homeopathy and the arts. Due to sickness, I did not work for years. My creative side took over in later years, and I enjoyed painting, making jewelry and working as an assistant in interior design. During the recession, I found the time to write as a hobby. I was surprised to find a publisher for my debut novel, The Companion of Lady Holmeshire.

Companion is suspense with clean romance set in early Victorian times. A foundling, Emma Carrington, is raised to become a servant for The Countess of Holmeshire. The countess chose her as a companion and sent her for finishing. She dragged her along into polite society where Emma received a rude reception. Suspense mixes with humor in my debut novel.

My current work is titled For the Skylark. Also set in early Victorian times, Evangeline goes from content and happy in her strange circumstances, isolation from society, to distraught and panicky as things normalize. Dante, her beloved twin and only friend, wants to break the Rules, go through the gates and see outside the estate. He even falls in love. Evangeline feels she must keep him for herself. She withdraws even more, sitting for days with her mother in the tower. And then everything goes wrong.

You can read the beginning of both novels at http://authordebrabrown.blogspot.com

Thanks for the opportunities in this wonderful group!

message 2: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (Darlene_Williams) Readers are loving Debra'sThe Companion of Lady Holmeshirecalling it charming and lovely. I know Debra would love to discuss her novel with anyone interested.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana Hunter (Dianahunter) | 14 comments Your books sounds really interesting, Debra. I'm adding it to my tbr list :). You say it's early Victorian. I've always been scared to try writing a Regency because the readers are so knowledgeable about the time period I'd be afraid of saying something the wrong way or putting someone in a spot where they couldn't possibly be. Love to read them, but too timid to write one.

Did you find a similar problem with setting in the early Victorian era?

Nice to meet you :)

message 4: by Virtual (new)

Virtual | 429 comments Mod
Hi Debra, thanks for sharing with us and lovely to meet you!