Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Book Discussion & Recommendation > Feminine "Superpowers"

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments I never though about psyonic powers. invisibilty and forcefields this way... I just thought it would be awesome to wield such powers. But now that you ponted it out, you ruined plenty of good memories. Indeed it seems like heroines are gifted whith powers based on the stereotype that women are more in tune whith the universe...
Wait a second! wonder woman has an invisible plane that doesn't make her invisible, does that meen she wants to be seen?

message 2: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Kamil wrote: "I never though about psyonic powers. invisibilty and forcefields this way... I just thought it would be awesome to wield such powers. But now that you ponted it out, you ruined plenty of good memo..."

This is interesting, I'll have to review some of my books to see where they fall. But the flip of this is the villans...do the female ones have 'feminine' powers or do they have 'masculine' ones. And if they have masculine ones, is that some symbolic thing about why they are evil?

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul | 49 comments How about the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews? Kate's powers are not touchy-feely.

message 4: by Eliste (new)

Eliste | 111 comments I always think of Psylocke from Xmen who has psychic powers that are mainly used as a knife in conjunction with her martial arts. Typical in that it's psychic, but definitely non traditional use.

message 5: by Mikael (new)

Mikael Thinsz | 1 comments Kamil wrote: "I never though about psyonic powers. invisibilty and forcefields this way... I just thought it would be awesome to wield such powers. But now that you ponted it out, you ruined plenty of good memo..."

I never thought about Wonder Woman's plane that way, that's actually pretty damn clever.

I agree with the original poster that a lot of superheroines do have powers that seem to fall into the typical "feminine" categories, but Wonder Woman's plane is like the subversion of that trope: She shows that she has no reason to hide from anything.

message 6: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Mikael wrote: "Kamil wrote: "I never though about psyonic powers. invisibilty and forcefields this way... I just thought it would be awesome to wield such powers. But now that you ponted it out, you ruined plent..."

that's what I was saying

message 7: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Phoenix has powers that I wouldn't consider 'feminine'. And what about Storm?

message 8: by Dajinxed1 (new)

Dajinxed1 | 95 comments Marvel - Siryn like her father her voice is a sonic blast - Similar in the DC verse is Black Canary

DC verse - Zatanna magic/sorcery

Marvel - Scarlett Witch Abilities Probability manipulation, reality alteration, Chaos Magic

DC - Harbinger Abilities Self-duplication and reintegration, energy materialization, superhuman strength, flight, and possessed an orb that recorded every bit of history in the multiverse and beyond while allowing for teleportation through space, time, dimensions, and realities.

Marvel - Domino Abilities Probability manipulation
Superb markswoman with various firearms
Skilled hand-to-hand combatant

message 9: by Celine (new)

Celine | 25 comments Another Marvel exception would be Molly, from Runaways. She's got super-strength. And from Young Avengers, Stature has the same powers as Ant-Man, her father, and Kate Bishop as Hawkeye has no powers as far as I know, other than massive (imaginary) balls.

And, of course, there's X-23.

message 10: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Celine wrote: "Another Marvel exception would be Molly, from Runaways. She's got super-strength. And from Young Avengers, Stature has the same powers as Ant-Man, her father, and Kate Bishop as Hawkeye has no powe..."

I thought about mentioning X-23 but I didn't since she's a 'clone' of a male. I also didn't mention She-Hulk or Batgirl or any of the male spinoffs.

message 11: by Alexa (new)

Alexa | 50 comments I know Harry Potter is not neccessarily considered science fiction, but Hermione was considered the best at magic in her class and she was often described as being aggressive or pushy. She was a heroine that wielded her intelligence as a sort of power.

message 12: by Celine (new)

Celine | 25 comments Jute wrote: "Celine wrote: "Another Marvel exception would be Molly, from Runaways. She's got super-strength. And from Young Avengers, Stature has the same powers as Ant-Man, her father, and Kate Bishop as Hawk..."

Good point. A lot of heroines or even female characters in general get their characteristics from male family members. This has a pretty extensive list.

message 13: by Mike (last edited Oct 22, 2012 02:22PM) (new)

Mike | 34 comments It's been ages since i've read many comics but the two heroines i can remember are Magik (Colossus sister) and Jubilee. Jubilee created objects of out of plasma which exploded at her command. While Magik's teleport ability was people-friendly, she was a powerful sorcerous in Limbo and, seems, limitedly on Earth.

A more contemporary example i can think of would be (view spoiler) Needy from Jennifer's Body(view spoiler)with their powers being… ahh hunting and consuming people.

Edit/"spoiler" notes: whoops, sorry. Forgot Jennifer was the first victim/antagonist. Took a while to remember the plot. Oh and uh, used the 'spoiler' tag since i couldn't change the font color to hide my goofs. *shrug* Oh well. :^D