Rockism 101 discussion

Music Genres > Disco Versus Rap: Which sucks more?

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (last edited Oct 09, 2012 11:45AM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments :)
There is some disco I like and some rap I like, but in general both forms of music suck big time.

People think that disco died in the 70s. Disco Demolition night at Comisky Park in Chicago, summer of '79 is often called the Night that Disco died, but actually disco lived in that it influenced all dance music that has come in its wake...

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Brown (dracona77) | 13 comments I used to love rap when I was younger but I'm not so sure what is going on with rap now. I've heard a few singles here or there that seemed to reach back to that old school feel, but they get blared out by whatever this is that's happening lol!!

Disco just keeps me thinking of going skating. Don't know if that is good or bad :-)

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments The rap I liked was Tone Loc, Young MC, Biz Markey, Salt -n- Peppa, Run DMC, Dela Soul, the early Beastie Boys - all the fun stuff. I started losing interest when the gangsta rap crap started getting popular.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I reckon Disco was the ultimate in bad taste. Mega cringe-worthy. Not into Rap, but at least it had attitude.

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments I have to admit that one summer in the late 1980 I listened to the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack at work so many times (not by choice) that I started to actualy kinda like it. I also liked Donna Summers.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but she was an original. :) Also in terms of Rap, was it true as Debbie Harry claimed, that Rapture was the first Rap song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHhcSn...
(Downloads running out--can't check if this is a good youtube version or not--'cuse if it isn't.)

message 7: by Ed (last edited Oct 11, 2012 10:33PM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments She might have made that claim. I think Rapture was the first time mainstream America ever heard rap - the first time it was ever in a top 40 song.

I read a history of rap once - I think the Sugarhill Gang had the first rap single "Rapper's Delight"...but not too many people heard it outside of NYC

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela Brown (dracona77) | 13 comments Sugar Hill Gang's Rapper's Delight is also the first rap song I recall hearing. I remember hearing a lot of older folks questioning whey they were just "talking" over the music and not singing lol!

message 9: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments I remember rap sounding really weird when it first came out. The Blondie song and then there was another song by Haircut 100 that had a couple lines of rapping in it. The song had a popular video - I'll have to google it, to get the name of the song. But I think the first rap song by a rap group I ever heard was Run DMC with Aerosmith. I thought it was okay - kind of a novelty song.

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela Brown (dracona77) | 13 comments The Run DMC and Aerosmith combination was amazing because it linked two different aspects of music and made it "cool".

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments That song really opened the gates for Rap into the mainstream Rock establishment. Mtv and Rolling Stone magazine just fell in love with rap after that.

message 12: by Poison IV (last edited Oct 18, 2012 10:04AM) (new)

Poison IV | 8 comments I say Rap. I still like Ol' School Chicago house music and that kind of music almost always has some kind of disco in the mix. I'm sure I still have a Chicago House mix tape somewhere in my house. WBMX rocked!

message 13: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 69 comments I liked Early Rap and some disco (I love to dance and one can dance to disco)

message 14: by Rock (new)

Rock Ism | 284 comments Mod
I think this will answer the question once and for all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuFn0...

message 15: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit At least I get the occasional chuckle out of rap ("Funky Cold Medina," anyone?).

Disco? Not so much.

message 16: by Rock (new)

Rock Ism | 284 comments Mod
Rock wrote: "I think this will answer the question once and for all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuFn0..."

^ Check this out ^
If this dont give you a chuckle, then I dont know what will.

message 17: by Robb (new)

Robb Bridson Disco. Nothing sucks more than disco.
It's the only genre of music that I like absolutely none of.

And it gets way too much attention for a type of music that only existed for a decade and wasn't popular until a stupid movie came out.

message 18: by Jack (new)

Jack | 52 comments Disco was harmless and Donna Summers was hot.
That is all I have to say on this subject.

message 19: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments Harmless? I'm not sure about that. Check this out:

http://generation-add.blogspot.com/20...

message 20: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi Martin | 2 comments Rap sucks worse. No contest.

message 21: by emm (new)

emm (goodreadscomemmjae) | 3 comments I'm gonna' say rap sucks more due to extreme commercialization and nonsense. I'm amazed at how I've outgrown it over the years. As for disco, it died after the 70s, so it's still fun...

message 22: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments I agree, the best thing to happen to disco what that it died at an early age where as rap lingered waaaay beyond its shelf life.

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen (JenHun) | 7 comments Most rap today sucks but 90's hip hop changed music for the better!!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 88 comments I don't think I could pick one. Each side has a few 'diamonds in the rough' and each side also has 'songs' (I'm using that term loosely) that practically make my ears bleed.

This question is like choosing between a rock and a hard place

message 25: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Jen wrote: "Most rap today sucks but 90's hip hop changed music for the better!!"

Excuse me while I go kill myself.

message 26: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments Dr. Detroit wrote: "Jen wrote: "Most rap today sucks but 90's hip hop changed music for the better!!"

Excuse me while I go kill myself."

lol

message 27: by Carriann (new)

Carriann (LvBngMe) I like both to a degree. The disco era was long before my time, so I wasn't exposed to it. My parents were all about Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, and Billy Joel. There are some hip hop songs that I like, but for the most part I don't like how modern rap talks about women. There is one duo called God-Des and She that I like a lot, but that's about it.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I still love Disco! Disco beats Rap by a mile.

message 29: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Kyle wrote: "I still love Disco! Disco beats Rap by a mile."

Where have you been?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Dr. Detroit wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I still love Disco! Disco beats Rap by a mile."

Where have you been?"

I've been living. I have eclectic musical tastes and I love Disco.

So Dr. Detroit, what are your favorite genres of music? Besides RAP?

I do like rap, not all of it. These are good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckV5Ne...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UImgMi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8...

message 31: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments I could probablly name a dozen rap songs that I actually like.

message 32: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Kyle wrote: "So Dr. Detroit, what are your favorite genres of music?"

Killer, monster punk garage music from the hoary 60’s, as anthologized on a million and one questionably-licensed "Nuggets," "Pebbles," "Back From the Grave," etc. compilations.

First-generation, old-school U.S., Australian, and Brit punk, although I still have to laugh at the naivete of some of it. Did anyone really expect Western society to slip into anarchy?

Early to mid-70's glam ala Slade, T. Rex, Mott the Hoople, Sweet, Bowie, Roxy Music, New York Dolls, Suzi Quatro, etc.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Not into monster punk garage music at all.

Like T.Rex, Bowie, Roxy Music and Suzi Quatro (she used to guest star on Happy Days).

I like Ice-T, Beastie Boys, Tone Loc, Young MC, MC Hammer etc.

Love the song Stutter Rap.

message 34: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Jul 22, 2013 12:10PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit Kyle wrote: "Suzi Quatro (she used to guest star on Happy Days)."

Suzi's a Detroit girl and you wouldn't have believed the guff she took here in town back then when she accepted that gig, particularly in the pages of Creem. It was brutal. I almost felt sorry for her. Then I thought of all of that big coin she pulled in from her glory days in England - she had to cross the Atlantic to make it big - and never gave it another thought.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

That's too bad. I like Suzi, have been a fan for 30 years or more.

Why so much guff? She was an ambitious person crossing the Atlantic to make it big.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

How do 30 years of love songs come from rap, Raymond?

I listen to Bach. It's outstanding music. I'm really more into ballads than rap, although I do like the songs I mentioned above.

McArthur Park is a favorite song of mine, as is Guardian Angel by Masquerade.

I'm a huge fan of Elvis as well.

message 37: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Kyle wrote: "That's too bad. I like Suzi, have been a fan for 30 years or more.

Why so much guff? She was an ambitious person crossing the Atlantic to make it big."

It was her jumping of the shark to appear on "Happy Days" that had folks' panties around here in a bunch, Kyle.

I've always loved Suzi but through no fault of her own, her timing was about a decade off. If she'd released some of those early albums during MTV's heyday, she would've been HUGE.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Man, I remember that episode. She played Leather Tuscadero.

MTV in it's heyday, yeah, she would've been a huge success. Too bad about that. She had what it took.

message 39: by Ed (last edited Jul 23, 2013 09:29AM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments There was a lot of that jumping of the shark in the late 70s, the record industry had a big slump in the late 70s/early 80s. The record companies still acted like slave owners on crack back then. I think about Peter Frampton basically killing his career when he signed on to play in the movie Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and stuff like that as an example. Then they exploited Mtv and CDs and everything was down hill from then.

message 40: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Frampton was friggin' great in Humble Pie and then after that, not so much. I remember he sold out Cobo Hall three nights in a row during his "Comes Alive" heyday, with Gary Wright opening.

He's a great guitarist. This is pretty cool, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_Bjf...

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Disco is way above rap. I still like disco. I can tolerate some rap.