Rockism 101 discussion

Why didnt Rock save the world? Or did it?

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments Maybe Rock never promised that it would save the world, but still some people thought it would. Or it could.

Were these people wrong?

Were hippies too stoned to really change anything?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It did. It saved us from the repression of the fifties! But I think we are in danger of becoming ultra conservative again.

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments You might be right. Which would mean that Justin Bieber is our Pat Boone!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep. (Save us!)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha! Pat Boone

message 6: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Because Bono didn't show up until 1980. By then it was too late.

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit I dunno... For a few misguided months there back in the summer of 1977, I figured punk was gonna save the world if not the music biz. So much for prescience.

Rock and roll has long since degenerated from charged music designed to get youngsters in the mood to fornicate and smoke hemp, deal with unsuitable mates and unwanted pregnancies, and fracture the ten commandments rather freely to a business where stardom is found not through a rough combination of dues paying and genuine talent, but custody battles, smoke, mirrors, and wardrobe malfunctions. To say that, oh, the Clash were cut from a different cloth than Lady Gaga would require an apology to the entire textile industry.

That being said, I've still learned much more from a three-minute record than I ever did in school. Living in the past. Hold all calls.

message 8: by Rock (new)

Rock Ism | 284 comments Mod
I think Rock was taken over by big labels. They sold their souls. And the bands that didnt sell their souls didn't matter or imploded, like the Sex Pistols.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 218 comments Mod
I think the hippies were not only too stoned to accomplish much, they were way to utopic and unrealistic.

As far as rock saving the world. I think music in general has done more for the world than we can really measure. Picture a world without music, it is scary right? Now slowly add in the music and watch the world become a better place. Maybe it has not stopped wars or genocide, maybe there is still racism and hate, but at least there is music.

message 10: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (DarciaHelle) If our fate depends on Justin Bieber, we are all doomed.

message 11: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit I long for the days when rock stars were discovered at the Marquee Club rather than the Mickey Mouse Club.