Bookworms discussion

Discussions > Do you think average Indian parenting is over parenting in many ways?

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
We who are born to Indian parents are very lucky in a way in one sense. We are loved and cherished all our life. One thing that I always wonder is as an individual, an Indian child is normally not allowed to experiment, make mistakes, experience frustration over his her mistakes. An average Indian child is not allowed to negotiate his her own way through school or life. I always feel over protectiveness of our parents usually don’t let children to get opportunity to do things on their own, thus making mistakes and learning from their mistakes. Now as a parent myself I do understand my parents` love behind their over protectiveness. But I see Indian parenting faulty in a way. Off course that does not apply to every Indian parent but I`m talking about average parenting.

What do you guys think about that?

message 2: by Neena (new)

I agree with you on the point that both type of parents do exist in India. Regarding Greg Chappell's thoughts about Indian kids, I would not say anything because I have never been to Austie. But his general opinion about Indian kids kind of look extreme. After coming here I've realised that there's big difference between an Indian kid and a kid born here. While in India kids at 18 are still kids, here a kid at 18 is much more mature and responsible and is an adult in true sense. There are always exceptions off course. I have seen very responsible and mature for their age Indian kids and vice versa. But if we talk about general population I myself would give more points to kids born here. And I was also born and raised in India; I was one of them too :)

And I forgot we are talking about parents here:P

message 3: by Aruna Kumar (new)

Aruna Kumar Gadepalli (Arunagklib) | 55 comments Neena wrote: "I agree with you on the point that both type of parents do exist in India. Regarding Greg Chappell's thoughts about Indian kids, I would not say anything because I have never been to Austie. But hi..."

I agree to your point of parenting. There are reasons for protecting the kids particularly in Indian situation. There are positive and negative sides of it. There are instances where parents over protective of their kids, still the kids are grown into fine human beings. Now with the internet and communication system rapidly invading the human minds, parents need to discuss the issues of their protective nature with the kids

message 4: by Neena (new)

Aruna Kumar wrote: "Neena wrote: "I agree with you on the point that both type of parents do exist in India. Regarding Greg Chappell's thoughts about Indian kids, I would not say anything because I have never been to ..."

You are right about that. We Indians stay kids for so long but in the end we turn out well enough. If you compare people between 3 to 23 years older in India and here, you would see a big difference.The formar are generally less mature and less responsible but in the end they turn out fine and you really can't say that a child born here did better as an adult as compared to an Indian born child.

message 5: by Aruna Kumar (new)

Aruna Kumar Gadepalli (Arunagklib) | 55 comments Saurabh wrote: "My experience with kids born abroad and their parents has been limited to Indian parents born and brought up in India and their kids born abroad. From the expreience I can say that children born an..."

You are right. In India what happens is generally parents feel (in my understanding) I missed some opportunities so I provide certain things for the benefit of my kid - here protecting the kids for good reason may be this will not suit where individualism is in vogue. The parents protecting the kids for the right reasons in their view. As the society is changing due to various influences this is viewed as the obstruction to the freedom.

message 6: by Neena (new)

Saurabh you are very right about what you said about Indian parents and childern born abroad. I do agree with you on the point that both have their advantage and flaws of their own.

And as Aruna Kumar says parents' protectiveness in India is never meant to be a hindrance to the individualistic freedom but it's indeed their love behind their actions.

RV I do understand your point but I don't see how environment in India is more difficult to succeed in long term. A regular trucker here can barely afford a suburban house and up bringing of 4 kids. Just like India a trucker who owns his own trucking business can comfortably afford everything. And as far as I have seen, to succeed here academically is much more difficult. To get into University, grading system here is much more difficult. I have some relatives who sent their kids for medicne in India because it's cheap and easy to get in. And then more important point is the cost of education here. Parents can't afford the fees and all like parents in India can afford. Here students have to work summer jobs, side jobs to arrange their tution fees. I have seen students dropping out for a year or two and going to work so they can arrange for thei tution fees and get back to schools later. I personally know few people who studied (professional courses) and worked in the evening full time all the way through schools. Then there's pressure of paying off student loan as soon as they finish their studies.

But regarding parenting, I still advocate Indian parnting more. The best thing about India is our family system with close family ties. Western parenting has it's own advantages with regard to more individualistic freedom but Indian parenting is what I do prefer as a parent myself with a little bit more emphasis on individualistic freedom.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) No. Can I keep at that? No? Okay, my parents behave more like friends...they make us feel like we are from Gen Y and they Gen X...
=)