The Black Library discussion

97 views
Black Library > Favourite Character

Comments (showing 1-37 of 37) (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay, Grey Seer (new)

Jay (XXatryuXX) | 2 comments Mod
Which Character is your favourite and why?


message 2: by Stefan (last edited Nov 01, 2012 02:34AM) (new)

Stefan | 5 comments When it comes to 40K it's definitely going to be Ciaphas Cain. Funny, heroical and likable.

In Warhammer Fantasy I will nominate Matthias Thulmann for reasons I can not really explain. Mostly because usselly can`t (totally) sympathize with the main characters in Warhammer fantasy. Felix Jaeger from the Gotrek and Felix series for example I find very irritating and winey at times.


message 3: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (ZeroSummations) | 9 comments Malus Darkblade from fantasy, epitomises the anti-hero selfserving arrogance of the dark elves.

in 40k, it would have to be Aradryan from path of the outcast, because he is just plain awesome


message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Shepherd | 3 comments Yeah Malus Darkblade was such a likable anti-hero

Joe wrote: "Malus Darkblade from fantasy, epitomises the anti-hero selfserving arrogance of the dark elves.

in 40k, it would have to be Aradryan from path of the outcast, because he is just plain awesome"



message 5: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (ZeroSummations) | 9 comments I know, I base a charrie off him in another group, minus the deamon


message 6: by John (new)

John Vance | 2 comments Gotta go with Xarl from the Nightlords trilogy. It was actually how his story ended that made me realize how bad ass he truly is.


message 7: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (ZeroSummations) | 9 comments Never read it. Is it good?


message 8: by John (new)

John Vance | 2 comments Aaron Dembski-Bowden is by far my favorite black library author. Go out and pick up this trilogy now! So good!


message 9: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (ZeroSummations) | 9 comments Maybe I will...


message 10: by Marcin (new)

Marcin (tombstone-86) | 5 comments Hi, I am not much of a Warhammer Fantasy reader, more into W40k, but Snorri Nosebiter is really my favorite. As to W40k I can't decide between Caiaphas Cain and Marduk (Word Bearers novels).


message 11: by Marcin (new)

Marcin (tombstone-86) | 5 comments I like Snorri because he is straight forward guy, Caiaphas for his incredible personality and Marduk for pure evil and ambition.


message 12: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (ZeroSummations) | 9 comments Snorri is pretty cool...


message 13: by Marcin (new)

Marcin (tombstone-86) | 5 comments I remember a quote from Daemonslayer about Snorri flying the gyrocopter: "Snorri once flew in gyrocopter... Snorri fell, landed on his head, it was OK..."

I don't know if I translated it well as read it in Polish, but nonetheless this line made me like him the most.


message 14: by Marcin (new)

Marcin (tombstone-86) | 5 comments And about Ciaphas Cain, the most important feature of this character is Jurgen his "sidekick" and the "overwhelming stink of old socks"


message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark Dunstan | 2 comments My favorite character is Mach Bonin from the Gaunt's Ghosts stories. Just wish we saw more of him!


message 16: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (ZeroSummations) | 9 comments Yeah, Ive read a few GG stories and dont recognise him
What books are he in?


message 17: by Mark (last edited Mar 28, 2013 09:51AM) (new)

Mark Dunstan | 2 comments He's in them all since Necropolis (though it has been a while since I read Blood Pact, and he might not be in that one) - but the books where he gets a fair amount of time are: (contains some very minimal spoilers)

Necropolis: Joins Gaunt's strike team scaling the colossal war machine of Heritor Asphodel - where he fell off and miraculously survives)
Honour Guard (gets in some crazy fights!)
The Guns of Tanith (probably his focus book - he takes part in the special missions on Phantine, trying to assassinate the Chaos leader)
Straight Silver (mostly at the beginning and end of the novel)
Sabbat Martyr (a couple of moments where he blows up a tank, then clambers into a half track and lets loose at the enemy using the mounted weapon)
Traitor General (part of Gaunt's hand-picked insertion team)
His Last Command (he kills a Stalker with a knife and gets in to some pretty heavy firefights along with Mkoll)
The Armour of Contempt (where he and Wes Maggs are fighting alone in a church and take out more than 30 enemies between them)
Only In Death: Takes over as head scout with Mkoll missing


message 18: by Stefan (new)

Stefan | 5 comments I totaly forgot about that guy. The GG series has so many interesting "side"characters.

I must re-read the series some time.


message 19: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (ZeroSummations) | 9 comments Yeah, me too


message 20: by Jared (new)

Jared | 1 comments I have a number of favorite characters but right now, my favorite has got to be Maximillian Orfuls, princeps of the Warhound titan Morbius Sire.

I finished reading Titanicus for the third or fourth time recently and one of my favorite scenes (do books have scenes?) is when Morbius Sire ambushes the enemy Reaver and burns it down.

First blood to Invicta!


message 21: by Rob (new)

Rob Claypool | 2 comments NAGASH!!!! lol and probably Karn for WH40K....


message 22: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Horus Heresy: Lucius
40K: Too many, but Fabius Bile, Ragnar Blackmane, Arkio, and Ravenor's assistant(I cannot remember his name!) are all really high up for me.
Fantasy/Time of Legends: Nagash and the Vampire in the Legends of Sigmar omnibus.


message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Mccarthy | 1 comments Morr the Incubus from the Dark Eldar trilogy by Andy Chambers. His adherence to his warrior sect's code while participating in a society that is irrevocably savage manipulative and hedonistic is a testament to his personality. As well as his epic death. Class A bad ass.


message 24: by Garry (new)

Garry | 36 comments I'm really liking Garro by James Swallow as part of the Horus Heresy series.


message 25: by Lee (new)

Lee Frost | 7 comments HH : Has to be Garro, 40K : Ragnar Blackmane, Uriel Ventris, Kharn the Betrayer and I'm still looking to start a Fantasy novel (recommendations would be appreciated).


message 26: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Lee, I would recommend any of the Time of Legends series, as well as the Malus Darkblade series. Or if you can find it, the Geniveve(idk the spelling right now) vampire series.


message 27: by Lee (new)

Lee Frost | 7 comments Thanks Dylan, I do believe The Nagash Trilogy will be my next purchase. If they're as good as the 40k I can't wait.


message 28: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments I own that omnibus, but have yet to read it. I LOVED the Sigmar omnibus lol


message 29: by Lee (new)

Lee Frost | 7 comments Dylan they were my two choices, Nagash Vs Sigmar, as a Chaos fan the evil prevailed lol.


message 30: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Lol, you've got great taste my friend!


message 31: by Rob (new)

Rob Claypool | 2 comments @Robert was Morr the incubus from 'Path of the Incubus?'


message 32: by Piper (new)

Piper (Kittycatpiper) | 7 comments minr has to be Ulrika or Genevieve


message 33: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Murphy | 104 comments Piper wrote: "minr has to be Ulrika or Genevieve"

I have the hardcover Genevieve omnibus and all 3 Ulrika novels and have been dying to start them. Which series would you say is better?


message 34: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 43 comments Dylan wrote: "Piper wrote: "minr has to be Ulrika or Genevieve"

I have the hardcover Genevieve omnibus and all 3 Ulrika novels and have been dying to start them. Which series would you say is better?"


Waiting and hoping they release an Ulrika omnibus is the only reason I haven't got them individually. And what's this you say about a HC Genevieve!!?? I didn't know this existed...I recently found and got the HC Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus editions, but I thought those were the only ones..


message 35: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (stk_kreations) | 43 comments My favorite character has to be Gotrek. I absolutely love the dwarf race, and William Kings were among the first (along with R.A. Salvatore) that introduced me to the fantasy/sci-fi world.


message 36: by Piper (new)

Piper (Kittycatpiper) | 7 comments Dylan wrote: "Piper wrote: "minr has to be Ulrika or Genevieve"

I have the hardcover Genevieve omnibus and all 3 Ulrika novels and have been dying to start them. Which series would you say is better?"


I have to say I adore Genevieve( wow the hardcover would so love it mines a secondhand copy unfortunaley, with me getting into Warhammer later my partner suggested the book because of my vamipre book obsession) and have only read Ulrika out of library I am struggling to find all the copies in good condition hoping BL will republish in omnibus as has been said before here as well. Genevieve was my first Warhammer book and hence a favourite the concept of Genevieve to me has similarities to phantom of the opera in some parts.


झ Maestitia झ Reclusiam.Net (-Maestitia-) | 5 comments For Fantasy, it's Archaon. Why? Because he's the Everchosen and he's fucking badass.

For W40k, it's Commissar Sebastian Yarrick. Why? Because he's the Chuck Norris of w40k... and he's fucking badass.


back to top