What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel
This topic is about The Diary of an American Au Pair
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > An American who becomes a Nanny for an English Family [s]

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (last edited Oct 08, 2012 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 10 comments The book was about an American who took a job as a Nanny because the original job she had gone to England for fell through. I recall that the family was very demanding, almost to the point of rude to her. They definitely treated her as the help, and were stuffy and requested that she "please speak as we do". Apparently they found it distasteful for the children to acquire American Slang. The title was somewhat like the quote but I can't recall the author or the title.

I remember that she was looked down upon because she was not a "blue-blooded" person. I got the point about the family's issues, infidelities, and quirks that she was sworn to secrecy about.

I also think I vaguely recall having a delicacy of duck eggs somewhere in the story. I did enjoy it and would read it again, if I could recall the name of the book! I believe I read it around 2005.I think it was a semi-true story, of her time as the Nanny.
Any ideas? Sound familiar? Thanks. It has bugged me for quite some time!

message 3: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Farrell | 2316 comments Mod
The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel by Marjorie Leet Ford

When you look at this book, you can see other editions; one of them is called "Do Try to Speak as We Do: The Diary of an American Au Pair."

message 4: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 10 comments Kate, Thank you sooooooo much. I can't tell you how long I have wondered what the name of that book was.
What a great memory you must have! And, you are right the one I think I read was "Do Try to Speak as We Do".
You know those nagging little questions that you can not forget? Well, thanks to you- I have one less of them!
Sincerely, Pat

message 5: by Pat (last edited Oct 09, 2012 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 10 comments Dear Kate,
How do I place this into the "Solved Section"?
Pat

message 6: by Moloch (last edited Oct 09, 2012 09:14AM) (new)

Moloch | 128 comments Click on the "edit" link next to the discussion title (you should see it because the discussion was started by you), then select the proper folder, then "save". Otherwise the group moderators will do it.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6960 comments Mod
Pat--I moved this for you. Glad you found your book so fast (and can I say--I'm jealous how fast you found it?)

message 8: by Pat (last edited Oct 09, 2012 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat (crabpatty) | 10 comments Hi Everybody!
I was amazed and truly delighted to have gotten the answer is only 9 hours! 9 hours...That name of the book has been bugging me for about 9 months! I could have gestated a baby in less time than I was trying to come up with the title of the book! See the picture of the guy banging his head against the wall? That was how I felt! Kate saved me!
Many thanks to all the kind folks who have written. Moloch, for the directions, and Ann, so for doing it so my poor old brain did not have to ponder the how to
any further!
I hope you all read this book. It was a fun story. Thanks to you all!
Pat