Du Gata Vrangr discussion

The Cycle > Book 2, Eldest

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 154 comments This book makes me miss Brom and Murtagh both, honestly. They were so awesome, and now they're dead or almost evil (I don't like thinking of Murtagh as a villain, so I say 'almost'). And... I don't like Roran. I'm sorry, Paolini.

It's my least favorite of the Cycle, but I'm sure plenty of people love it, and it does deserve to get loved. It just isn't really for me.

message 2: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments No, I couldn't believe Murtagh was evil, just caught in a bad twist of fate. When I read this I didn't really know what to think of Thorn, mostly pity I guess.
As for Roran, he isn't a particular favorite of mine but I can say that he has more characterization than any of the other characters. He changes the most, which is odd since he is a "neutral good" character. But I can identify with his emotions much easier, they range more widely than say Eragon's who is predictable.
On the other had everyone else is pretty black and white, except for Murtagh and Thorn of course; which I think are the most interesting characters because of the conflicting motivations.
One thing I did wish that Paolini did is to spend more time of the dragons! I feel like I just skimmed the surface of their personalities.
Does any of this make sense? If not let me know.

message 3: by Isabella (new)

Isabella | 154 comments It makes perfect sense, I think; I totally agree with you! I don't like Roran myself, but he is a good character... and I, too, wish that the dragons had been around more. I always want more dragons, though, so maybe I'm not being fair...

message 4: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) | 458 comments Okay so I am not crazy! Score one for me!!! YYYyyaaaaa!
Anyway, Cassandra, I am right there with you. I don't think I will ever have realistic expectations on how much dragon time there should be.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Eldest was soo long. Like in Ellesmera he had to describe the scenery and how Eragon and Saphira woke up every morning. And when u put Roran and Nasuada in with the book it just dragged on more. Reading it then I hated it. But looking back its my favorite book. Like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. It was long and boring but when u look back its a really important book.

message 6: by Asterion (new)

Asterion (Yimsel) | 128 comments When I reread it, I always skipped the roran chapters. It was pretty slow, I preferred reading about Eragon's lessons from oromis.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. I kinda found it annoying. But then looking back I love Roran and am very happy to read about him. It was annoying in Eldest but I liked reading about him more in Brisingr and Inheritance.